User Tag List

A Machine Like No Other CouponMachine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Hi fellow Canucks.
    I am in need of some help.
    I am moving to Grand Rapids, Michigan at the end of August to go to University and will be living on campus for a year and a half.
    I was wondering if anyone has been there, or has been in my situation before.
    If anyone has any tips on shopping in the US(specifically Michigan area) on couponing, finding deals, where to get flyers, best places to shop for food, as well as any moving tips it would help me alot!

Reps will be giving for help!

Also if anyone is in the same situation, I hope this will help you as well.

Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Reps Are Always Appreciated

Click here to friend me!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Will you be living in residence or off campus...I didn't move to the states but I did move 4 hours away to Windsor for my education which is right near michigan and I am from your area as well it looks like. I lived in residence for 4 years. If you have any specific questions you want answered feel free to pm any time
    Last edited by Hollywood1818; Sun, Jul 24th, 2011 at 11:17 PM.
    TWO 20% KONG PRODUCT AVAILABLE FOR TRADE<dl style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-size: 14px; font: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; width: 881px; clear: both; "></dl>

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Yes, I'm going to be living in residence for a year and a half at my University.
    My move in date is getting closer everyday and I've started packing. But it would still be great to know what I should buy here in Canada or wait until I'm in the US as I am unfamiliar with the prices over there.

Click here to friend me!

Trading Score
    44 (100%)

I live just outside of Winsor and shop in the Detroit area a couple of times a month.
    I'm not familiar with Grand Rapids but they'll have all the same stores as Detroit area.
    I'd wait to buy everyything until you got down there. Many things are cheaper and even if they're not, the dollar is close to par and you'll be saving on taxes. MI sales tax is 6%.
    I like shopping at WM, Target (when they have sales) and Meijer.
    You know you want free stuff too! Join Swagbucks with me http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cdiddy1

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

What are your thoughts on shopping at Rite Aid, CVS and those other popular stores?
    I also plan to be buying food in bulk and I heard Sam's Club has some great deals, but you need to have membership, is this free? How much is it?
    Does anyone know if Universities carry grocery flyers and coupon books that can be picked up for free?
    Since I'm going to be on a tight budget I need to weigh my options, but I plan on eating healthy while attended Uni. Although I have a Meal Plan, I'm trying to see which would be more cost effective. Any thoughts. Thanks!

Click here to friend me!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I can tell you our university to not have newspapers, flyers or any coupons for grocery items available. Also I can tell you in general again at least in canada buying and making your own food is cheaper than meal plan
    TWO 20% KONG PRODUCT AVAILABLE FOR TRADE<dl style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-size: 14px; font: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; width: 881px; clear: both; "></dl>

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

You will need to be a member at Sams Club (I think it was about $30usd for the year - not 100% sure though). Not sure about CVS, but you can get some pretty good deals at Riteaid. As with most areas, Walmart is always a good place to get the bargains.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

A friend of mine uses this forum ....
    http://coupondivas.com/

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks. I'l give it a try once im in the US. I'm sure it will come handy.
    Anyone know of some cheap but good places to buy bulk food(besides Sams Club)?

Click here to friend me!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

There is BJs which also needs membership probably about the same as Sams. I am not sure which is better price wise.
    http://www.bjs.com/

Thread Information