User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Yup, MBNA is one to stay away from!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

That's really frightening, Vee.
    We're with TD and I'm still surprised to hear that they noticed those charges made at 2am and locked our card! Pretty impressive. Our DD (an FP with TD) said they have software that works 24/7 scanning purchases....all I know is that I'm glad they do!

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Yes we canceled our MNBA one...I wanted it for the optimum points - not worth it ! So we got a MC with BMO (our bank) and its the airmiles one we got 1000 AM for signing up so woot!

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Sorry to hear that happened to you. Technology is fantastic and nightmarish all at the same time, isn't it?

Good news is--the credit card company was aware very quickly!!!

We had a similar thing happen to our bank card. DH used to buy gas at a particular gas station and it turns out someone had put one of those reader things on the debit machine and the security camera for the store was aimed to film people as they entered their PIN numbers. So an employee or the owner would have been in on it. (Crooks!)

Someone in Montreal began using his bank card in the wee hours on a Sunday morning--making deposits (presumably empty envelopes) and then withdrawing the money back out from a bank machine. Our bank was on the phone Monday morning right at 8:30 to inquire if we had the card in our possession, had we used it recently and where we'd used it and to ask if we'd visited Montreal because their computer system had picked up on the "irregularities" of the transactions on the accounts (guess we're pretty predictable folks. LOL).

We had to go in and get new cards and change our PINS. And the head office for the bank suggested this gas station had been a problem for a number of their other customers too, so that's how they knew where it was happening. I never went to that gas station ever again. About a year ago, I noticed they went out of business and somehow, that made me feel happy in a smug sort of way. LOL.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

number 1 rule when doing a purchase is don't ever use debit cash or credit only because cash and credit has better protection

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by win-star View Post
    number 1 rule when doing a purchase is don't ever use debit cash or credit only because cash and credit has better protection
    Really? I ONLY use debit! Yikes!
    The only time I use a CC is for on-line purchases, and then only at (what I thought were) secure sites. I guess there's nothing totally secure anymore...

I also rec'd 2 more phone calls yesterday from two web-sites (Intuit and EzFax...I think that's it) trying to confirm purchases!! Two more!! I told them it was a stolen card and to cancel any transactions they attempted to make.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information