User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I guess I'm an innocent when it comes to credit card hacking (if that's even the correct term), but yesterday I tried to use one of our credit cards to make an ebay purchase and my credit card was rejected (!!!).

Earlier that day I did receive a call from our financial institution where we have the card with, asking me if I had made purchases at around 2am...small things...$0.00, $1.00 (Vonage?!), and one for Vistaprint for about $37.00. I said, absoltuely not, and the phone call just said press some number if I dispute those purchases. I did, and then the phone hung up. Now....we never carry a balance on our cards, so of course I knew something was afoot.

So I called my credit card 800 number and got a real person to find out why my ebay purchase card was rejected, and he said it had a security alert on it. ??!! I asked why, and he rhymed off the purchases again made in the middle of the night and I said I absolutely had not made them.
    No problem, he says, that's why I couldn't use my card....security at night f;agged my card as suspicious, therefore I couldn't use it.

So...he cancelled our card and the purchases that we weren't responsible for.

My question is.....this is a card I RARELY use because it has a high purchase limit on it (I usually use one we maintain a very low balance on in case something like this happens)...HOW in heaven's name did anyone get hold of it and "test" it by making a few small purchases??!!! I don't think I even used it for my vistaprint (calendar) purchase earlier in the month!

I perform weddings, and stupidly leave my purse at the bar or where someone I feel I can trust keeps it for me...but geez! If they can see me performing a wedding, they have all kinds of time to take my card numbers!!

AND so what?! They can't have those things delivered to their homes because the addresses don't match!

How naive AM I??!!
    This thread is currently associated with: Ebay, Guess, Vista Print

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

They have those scanners now. All the people have to do is walk past you and they can scan all your information.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...c.html?sid=101
    Last edited by Sally888; Mon, Jul 25th, 2011 at 12:06 AM.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Ouch, that really sucks but I'm glad that your credit card company won't hold you responsible for those transactions. As for neing Naive, I wouldn't say that at all and also how do you know that's how someone obtained the information anyways?

I hate to say it but is it possible that someone who has come into your home would have access to wherever you keep your purse in your home? Or as Sally mentioned those dang scanners are around everywhere nowadays!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh, sorry this has happened to you.... but the phone call you got sounds very fishy; if you were talking to a live person s/he wouldn't have had you press a phone button to do anything - it probably redirected your phone number, so watch out for your phone bill charges as well.

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

I work at a bank and you would be shocked by how often this happens. Just be grateful they put a freeze on your card. I've seen people lose thousands of dollars. It's very lucky you're so careful about using that card, otherwise they might not have ged it for suspicious activity.

This is why we recommend two different credit cards: one with a lower limit for everyday/online purchases and a higher limit card for big purchases,
    Last edited by ashokia; Mon, Jul 25th, 2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: baby on lap = hard to type lol

Trading Score
    44 (100%)

This happened to one of my cards about a year ago. We got a call from the cc company asking if we had made some online purchases of various amounts in a short period of time (all of which were online). We didn't and they said that the card had now been compromised and they would be sending a new card out to me.
    I had made a couple of purchases at an online store awhile before the incident and that was the only place I had put my cc info 'out threre'. I made sure the site was verified as safe and that it had the security lock.
    Maybe someone had gotten my info long before that and was just waiting to use it. Maybe they had just tried a bunch of different numbers until they found one that worked. Who knows? I'm just glad my cc company knew something was odd and called about it.
    Theives are everywhere posing as honest people.
    You know you want free stuff too! Join Swagbucks with me http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cdiddy1

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

You shouldn't leave your purse at the bar they are some of the worst offenders for card scams(bars and restaurants)

Trading Score
    44 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    You shouldn't leave your purse at the bar they are some of the worst offenders for card scams(bars and restaurants)
    DH has told me not to even let my card out of my sight when I pay because the card could be scanned by anyone the employee is in contact with.
    You know you want free stuff too! Join Swagbucks with me http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cdiddy1

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thank you, everyone...When I called TDVisa, they confirmed that they had called earlier that morning, so the call I got was legitimate...they snagged the suspicious activity from 2am that morning, thank goodness and froze my card, which is why I couldn't use it on ebay.
    The funny thing is....this is our high-limit card, which I never use. I always use our ordinary Visa that we keep (after many phone calls) at $500. And of course, we never carry a balance anyway, but just in case anyone gets it, it's low. Why I pulled that one out of my wallet that morning is so weird....it's such a coincidence that I tried to use a card I never really use, yet is the one that got snagged somehow.

Patty....the bar I mentioned is at a golf course here, just a few blocks from our home...it was the venue for the wedding I was performing...the gals at the bar put it into a cupboard with a door, so only they would have known it was there. And of course they certainly knew where I was: at the out-door gazebo, fully occupied with doing the wedding! I can't even conceive they would do that...but then again...it's possible that they pulled my platinum card rather than the very ordinary looking green one, thinking it had a higher limit or something.

Now I don't take my purse at all...I put my wallet in our car's glove compartment when I do a wedding. Which can still mean that someone could use a scanner, I guess.
    So the next step would be just having a separate wallet with just my driver's licence and some cash locked in the glove-compartment, no credit cards.

Geez.....the precautions we have to take now! It boggles the mind!

Thank you, everyone for your input...I'll be much more cautious in the future!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

It's not just about hidng you rpin number anymore.

Scammers have false overlays that they put on machines then read the data, machines can be exchanged and downloaded, even my bank of montreal guichets had cameras installed by scammers and they were stealing info right in the bank.

Always remember they are more than one step ahead of the technology.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

happened to us last month...someone purchased thru ebay for 1600 but our wonderful (not ) CC company didn't notify us thank goodness we look at our online thingy every week....the charge was reversed.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by VeeVee View Post
    happened to us last month...someone purchased thru ebay for 1600 but our wonderful (not ) CC company didn't notify us thank goodness we look at our online thingy every week....the charge was reversed.
    Wow, Vee! You weren't notified?!
    And here's the thing: if they buy something on ebay using a credit card, can it be sent to another address? Hm. It probably can, since it's a 3rd party....Glad to hear the charge was reversed, Hon!!

Patty, you're so right...I watched a discussion on tv a few weeks ago about how technology barely keeps ahead of scammers. Then here I am, scammed! I just got a phone call from "Intuit" (?) about some internet site I was supposedly setting up!! They had our DD's name, but MY address! How's that for scary?!

And people...I just saw this on tv this morning....never ignore those updates your security wants you to download. Some people do...

Trading Score
    182 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by VeeVee View Post
    so, if the thieves purchased something from E-bay, wouldn't an address be provided? and the credit card company should investigate the address!!!! OMG reading this thread scares me ....

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Wow, Vee! You weren't notified?!
    And here's the thing: if they buy something on ebay using a credit card, can it be sent to another address? Hm. It probably can, since it's a 3rd party....Glad to hear the charge was reversed, Hon!!

Patty, you're so right...I watched a discussion on tv a few weeks ago about how technology barely keeps ahead of scammers. Then here I am, scammed! I just got a phone call from "Intuit" (?) about some internet site I was supposedly setting up!! They had our DD's name, but MY address! How's that for scary?!

And people...I just saw this on tv this morning....never ignore those updates your security wants you to download. Some people do...
    You want to hear something really unbelievable...when we called the CSR said someone called from Quebec to change the billing address but didn't know the date of birth of my BF (card holder) UMMMMM HELLO red ! Yet no call from them notifying us someone tried to change the address and bam next day 1600 charge....we canceled the card and went with another company.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

OH and when we called the purchase was on temp authorization....they let it go to full purchase after we called....er wtf? Would they not pull the amount when it was on temp authorization? Worst company I have dealt with (we had the Shoppers Optimum MC with MBNA) I was chocked when she said someone tried to change the acount and they didnt call us...morons!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information