User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Julie Andrews
    What are some of your best tips for saving for post-grad education?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I wish I had any great tips to share.

Julie Andrews
    I have a time-line and a goal... but at the same time I can't actively work towards my goal until baby J is in school. I have my hands full with him as it is... so hopefully I'll figure out a way to put together some $.

Julie Andrews
    So, I've found out about the Lifelong Learning Plan...
    http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/individ...lp/menu-e.html

If push comes to shove I may be able to borrow from my RRSPs... but I'd rather not do that.

So the question is - should I continue to save for 'retirement' (I put retirement in quotation since I'm a SAHM) or should I save as much as possible now for school so I don't have to touch the retirement funds? When I'm working in my field I'll be able to save more towards retirement anyway.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think what are you looking for can be found on CANLearn web-site. http://www.canlearn.ca/cgi-bin/gatew...rn/en/home.asp

If not, I'm sorry .... Good Luck!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Andrews View Post
    So, I've found out about the Lifelong Learning Plan...
    http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/individ...lp/menu-e.html

If push comes to shove I may be able to borrow from my RRSPs... but I'd rather not do that.

So the question is - should I continue to save for 'retirement' (I put retirement in quotation since I'm a SAHM) or should I save as much as possible now for school so I don't have to touch the retirement funds? When I'm working in my field I'll be able to save more towards retirement anyway.
    If this works like the Home Buyers Plan, you'll have to make yearly repayments back into your RSP. You would lose any potential compounding, but your contribution room would remain intact.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

Maybe you can take 50% from your regular RSP contribution to use toward post-grad... You would have to repay what you take from RSP if I inderstand things correctly. Student line of credit may work too -

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Sorry but what exactly do you mean by post grad?

And most programs, except for MBA I think, pay you.

Julie Andrews
    It's the Masters in Occupational Therapy that I'm interested in... As far as I know they don't pay you.
    Plus I'll also have to pay for daycare for my son while I'm studying.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Day care is very expensive. I think it's better to wait until he starts school. But then again the first year of school is half school half day care.

hmmm

Have you tried contacting profs in the area of Occupational Therapy. Some may have funds or may even be willing to have you as a part time student where you can do most of your work from home.

bug
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Day care is very expensive. I think it's better to wait until he starts school. But then again the first year of school is half school half day care.
    Can you get your son into the university-associated daycare program? Sometimes that is cheaper. Go to student services and ask if they can offer any help with childcare (maybe bursaries).

Julie Andrews
    I'll be waiting for him to start school so that it will be part-time daycare... The program is arranged so that classes are from 9am - 5pm for approx 2 years full time.

I found a bursary that they offer to MScOT students... but I'd rather save as much as possible now rather than worrying about coming up with the amount when the time comes.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

It'll all come together.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

9am - 5pm classes for 2 years is too much for a grad program imho. Isn't there a lighter grad program or maybe one that is more research oriented?

Julie Andrews
    This is the one I want to do. I've seen first hand how much occupational therapy has helped with baby J and I'd love to be able to help others like the way his OT has helped us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information