User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Ok, I am conceding to the fact that I _might_ need glasses. I have an appointment next week to have my eyes tested as the daily migraines are wearing thin at this point.

What I could really use is some helpful advice regarding costs. First of all, I would assume that prices/deals will vary depending on location, so I guess that ideas for the Ottawa/Kanata area would be most beneficial.

My vision coverage from work is terrible - only $200 per year; since the cost of the eye exam is quoted at $112, that doesn't leave any room for the cost of a pair of glasses if required.

I have a couple options:

1. Swallow the cost of the eye exam & keep the $200 coverage to get lenses/glasses that do not exceed that amount
    2. Put both the cost of the exam & lenses & glasses through to the max & pay the rest out of pocket (but likely will find the cheapest low-end glasses

Which leads me to my next question - suggestions for places to shop around for the best price/deal.

I am not interested in any 2+ pairs of glasses options - if I need them, the issue will be in regards to seeing things quite close - reading a label for example is fine up to the 14cm distance from my eyes, as I move it in closer it starts to become blurry & unreadable. This would mean I would need them for...reading. So while _actually_ reading, or working at the computer. Otherwise things are fine (for now!).

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I'm currently in the same boat as you. It's just that I haven't reached the "acceptance stage" yet. I'm still making the magnifying glass work to read labels. LOL.

However, these are glasses you're going to be wearing for the rest of your life. You may as well enjoy them and that being said, personally, I would cough up out of pocket for the eye exam and use the insurance money to buy a nicer pair of glasses for myself.

Before you do that though, go online and find out whether or not you may have to pay for an eye exam at all. While Ontario discontinued coverage of eye exams under OHIP for people between 18-64 in 2004, there ARE exceptions to the rule and if you have certain conditions, you may qualify for eye exams every 2 years if you are between 18 and 64.

Here is the link:
    http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/.../services.html

Scroll down to "Eye Care" and open the PDF called "OHIP Bulletin 8089" which outlines the policies. On the second page of that document, they list the various conditions that are the exception to the rule. I have "exotropic strabismus" so fortunately(lol. fortunately??), I qualify for eye exams. If you have one of those conditions, the eye doctor should know about it and the eye exam fee can be waived. Good luck!
    Last edited by ninna; Sat, Jul 30th, 2011 at 10:29 PM.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i got my glasses through the clearly contacts free giveaway promo.

i LOVE my glasses. they are based out of Vancouver and you order online, and their customer service is great. they are very inexpensive to buy from.

when you order from them, you need your prescription and a couple of measurements of frames. you also need a particular measurement that is the distance between your pupils, center to center. you can ask your Dr. to give you that measurement for ordering glasses.

i would go into a major store and try on a bunch of frames and get a feel for what shapes of frames look good on you first, if you decide to order online.

http://www.clearlycontacts.ca/?ilid=tnav
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Going to print that page at work on Monday to have on hand just in case; Thank you for that link

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

My glasses end up costing me around $500 because my eyes are so terrible! I pay 100% out of pocket because I don't have insurance but I wear contacts about 98% of the time so those cost me around $120 a year. Way easier to spend at once than come up with $500!

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    My glasses end up costing me around $500 because my eyes are so terrible! I pay 100% out of pocket because I don't have insurance but I wear contacts about 98% of the time so those cost me around $120 a year. Way easier to spend at once than come up with $500!

totally, i'm in the same boat. my eyes are BAD and it is expensive!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Yeah, my eyes are also horrible. -5 and -5.75
    I use contacts and glasses about 50/50.

My suggestion would be to get the eye exam, and then try getting the glasses online, usually waaaay cheaper.
    Also, I'm in Ontario, but my last eye exam was only $60 (actually, free, because I also got glasses and contacts there). So maybe shop around and try and get a better deal on the exam, too.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I usually buy glasses at Costco because I can get a full set for around $200. I also have 2 pairs from Clearly Contacts and they are great too. You can get them cheap ($38 starting point) or free when they have promotions. I have 3 pairs from Costco and 2 from Clearly Contacts and all of them are equal in quality. I have had the same prescription for many years and wear glasses daily so I treat them like a fashion accessory.

I also got my eye exam at Costco and it was less than $80.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Unfortunately I called a few places for eye exams and there were no available appointments for a couple of weeks

Considering the daily migraines by the early afternoon at work, I couldn't put it off that long. The only place that I could get an appointment inside of a week was the one I booked.

Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I have good coverage at work so have some pretty expensive pairs of glasses, and honestly, I end up wearing the free ones I got from Clearly Contacts more....definitely check them out.
    Open a Tangerine bank account (formerly ING ) using my Orange Key (14507658S1), deposit $100 and we both get $25! Right now, receive up to $150 in bonuses and earn 2.50% interest!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

i would use your coverage on eye exam if you can and get cheap glasses at clearly contacts as well.go around to places like lenscrafters and check out types of frames you like and go from there.i would never do a private office as mine has charged me over 500 for glasses because i have astigmatism,but clearly contacts does astigmatism and other problems too so to me i never shop at private offices anymore.

~just your average nerd~

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

If you're getting migraines it may not be your eyes

http://www.healthcentral.com/migrain...ight?ic=506048

Full Question:

I have never had migranes before and all the sudden about a month or so ago I started getting really bad migranes. I know I need contacts or glasses but I have had insurance problems and couldnt seem to get my eyes fixed. Therefore I believe that is the problem of my migranes. My doctor thinks it's because I consume to much Pepsi (lots of caffine) a day. I am not sure but I cant take it anymore. I cant play with my daughter, my house is always dark, I cant sleep, eat, drive my car nothing. I have a migrane almost everyday or if not, every other day. It is taking over my life. What should I do? I will take any advice here. Megan.

Answer:
    Dear Megan;
    First, let's clarify that there's a difference between cause and trigger. Migraine is a genetic neurological disease CAUSED by genetics and overactive neurons in the brain. Many things can be TRIGGERS that bring on a Migraine attack. Vision problems are not a known Migraine trigger.
    If glasses don't clear this up, see a doctor to find out what's going on.

Trading Score
    44 (98%)

I've been wearing glasses since I was 8...blind as a bat otherwise. Definitly try and wait until clearly contacts has a promo, the drawback is you can't try them on you before you buy them though.
    I go to walmart here for my optomitrist app't. My last one in May was only $65. Just remember to ask for a copy of your prescription. Most optomitrist are going to want you to buy through them, but your under no obligation to.
    I went to vogue with my prescription and bought my glasses for about $285 and since they have that second pair free policy used the second pair on my contacts so they only cost $15 for 2 boxes.

As with everything else....shop around.

My ex husband used to suffer from migraines a lot, he was advised to keep a food journal. By keeping a food journal he was able to narrow trigger foods down...

Trading Score
    50 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    i got my glasses through the clearly contacts free giveaway promo.

i LOVE my glasses. they are based out of Vancouver and you order online, and their customer service is great. they are very inexpensive to buy from.

when you order from them, you need your prescription and a couple of measurements of frames. you also need a particular measurement that is the distance between your pupils, center to center. you can ask your Dr. to give you that measurement for ordering glasses.

i would go into a major store and try on a bunch of frames and get a feel for what shapes of frames look good on you first, if you decide to order online.

http://www.clearlycontacts.ca/?ilid=tnav

Agree completely! I got my first pair from them through a free giveaway, and I love them! I have ordered another pair since then

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

My glasses are very expensive. I have progressives and reading glasses. 10 years ago it was going to cost me $900 through the optometrist but I went to I Vision instead. I got them both for around $500. We have no insurance but the testing is covered because I`m diabetic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information