User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

He HAS to outline his fees to you, it's not a matter of "I don't do that". Legally, he has too.

Good luck!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Well, you ovbiously wanted his services at one point in time to have hired him and paid him. Is there any other reason why you don't want this work done by him anymore other then he is just slow?

Legal precedings sometimes take along time, Im involved in a matter at the moment which is nearing 2 years in and I have been advised it probally wont be resolved for another 2-3.

I think that you need to talk to him, not on the phone, but actually face to face and discuss this.
    there is no reason that he should be taking $1000 in fee's if he had not done anything, however that being said, he might have done something, and if thats the case, I would say don't try to get that sliver portion of your money back, just get him to continue with it, and tell him that its an urgent matter.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Don't call him...remember he can charge you for every phone call whether he returns it or not. And he will not be charging min. wage either.

Put your request in writing..make sure you check for spelling errors and grammer..copy it and then drop it off at his office. Give him a deadline as to when you want an answer.

The law society does investigate billing irregularities. Some lawyers( like estate lawyers) are required to keep money in trust.

In re-reading your post...did you really hand over $1500 with no idea of what he was charging for what.

In your eagerness to get the issue resolved it might be the case or do you think he might have told you but again in eagerness you did not hear him.

I know this happens(we made some real errors in dealing with a contractor as he had come recommended to us...long story) but we do mistakes like this..either not hearing or not asking..

It's just he might come back with..well I told them that it was a retainer fee..

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

He said he would charge us $1500 for the process but we never knew to ask for the details of the process because he was telling us "don't worry, I'll give you a copy" but he never did. He's honestly one of the sleaziest and laziest lawyer I've seen.

I did come in to talk to him face to face today. And that was the answer he gave me, he could only give me back maybe $500. I asked what was he charging me $1000 for and he only said his fee is that. He refused to give me an outline as to why and what's he done for us so far and seem like he wanted me to leave right away because he said for sure Friday he would have his checks in and give me an exact amount. Which makes no sense to me, why it takes him 6 weeks. He kept insisting he had to discuss it more with his secretary "tammy"

I'm no good with legal issues and he was referred to us by a friend. Is he really going to charge me for calling him when he's the one telling me to call him back because his office is way on the southside. I can't always drive down there.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I really don't know what to do and where to go for help... I just want my money back
    thanks so much for all the advice though. I think I will go see him on Friday but I may call him on Thursday just to ask what he's giving back to me first.

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

I feel for you. I too would go to the Law Society website, look through it and then call to discuss and be referred to perhaps an arbitrator who may be able to help. There is however a process complaints outlined here you may want to read up on. http://www.lawsociety.ab.ca/lawyer_r...omplaints.aspx

Good luck.

Would anyone know if it is allowed on this forum to name this "lawyer"? It would be good to know, so that no one else gets treated in an unprofessional manner.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Better be careful with naming a lawyer on a public board like this...he might try to sue for slander.

Not only do they charge for you to call, they charge for them to call you.

I would call his secretary to see if he is in. Friday is going to be beautiful day and he could take the day off to go golfing...lol...

Don't let him see "the I do not know much about lawyers"...Lawyers are very good capitalizing on weakness...

Instead tell him you have serious question about his actions and are going to make a compliant to the Law Society. It is important to take a strong position. If you can get no where with the Law Society he will tell you so(they know the rules) but if you can he will be asking you not to do it.

Complaints to the Law Society if warrented are taking seriously by the lawyers.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Lawyers charge from $300/hr up to $1000. Every phone call to him, the secretary, or any voicemail is going to cost you. Many lawyers charge in increments of 15 minutes or 30 minutes. So if you call your lawyer and leave a 1 minute voice mail you will be charged for at least 15 minutes, even if it took him 3 minutes to listen to the voice mail. In order to not be charged anymore you need to fire him. Then and only then you won't be charged. You also may not get anymore info regarding you case either. I think you have gotten some good advise here. Contact the Law Society they should be able to help you more.
    (((HUGS))) and good luck

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mhk View Post
    I feel for you. I too would go to the Law Society website, look through it and then call to discuss and be referred to perhaps an arbitrator who may be able to help. There is however a process complaints outlined here you may want to read up on. http://www.lawsociety.ab.ca/lawyer_r...omplaints.aspx

Good luck.

Would anyone know if it is allowed on this forum to name this "lawyer"? It would be good to know, so that no one else gets treated in an unprofessional manner.
    I don't know if it is ok. But I personally would not. Lawyers are capable of suing for slander, flipping things around etc.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ariyadhana View Post
    Hey may not even be a real lawyer. There has been warnings from the federal government about these Immigration "Consultants" who charge a lot and do very little.

I called the Law Society and they informed me that this guy is not even a lawyer that makes me even more mad. They said that will launch an investigation about this man and will call me back for details. They said all I can do right now is go to the Police and say that this man had defraud me, thats all they can advise me on.... This is so horrible I feel so stupid

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by loftywater View Post
    I called the Law Society and they informed me that this guy is not even a lawyer that makes me even more mad. They said that will launch an investigation about this man and will call me back for details. They said all I can do right now is go to the Police and say that this man had defraud me, thats all they can advise me on.... This is so horrible I feel so stupid
    That really really sucks. I am so sorry this has happened to you.
    A
    Couponing and stockpiling as a lifestyle, not just on occasion since July, 2011

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

OMG that is awful as that means the Law Society will not be able to intervene.

You thought he was a lawyer and he led you to believe he was one..that is called fraud. I agree call the police.

Life is about learning..I am sure next time you will ask to see his credentials.

Most professionals have their degree framed in their office. It is not about pride it is required according to professional standards. If it is not there or if they have a shared office you have a right to ask about credentials.

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

I would go for fraud and what about small claims court? I am a very unforgiving person and don't like to be messed with. If I can find a way to get the person back I will. Let him know what you have found out, that you have contacted the police about a possible fraud case, will be contacting the Better Business Bureau and will be filing a claim against him in Small Claims Court for the $1500 and all associated court costs.
    Last edited by alwaysdaddysgirl; Wed, Aug 3rd, 2011 at 10:46 PM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I agree tell him you want all of your money back immediately in the form of a bank check or cash (he is the kind that would write a phoney check) or you will be calling the police regarding the fraud.

If you go there take some one with you...this guy can not be trusted.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Isnt there the Trouble Shooter on CTV??? I almost want to call the trouble shooter myself on Lofty's behalf to tell them. I am a legal assistant and have been for 10+ years and it just infuriates me to no end that people are so devious and coniving to pretend to be a lawyer and in actuality be nothing close to it...while dooping people who are trusting a lawyer with this huge process, what kind of impact does that make for people like Lofty who just want to be here in Canada and once they are here they get taken by some asshole for a huge chunk of change. Initially I was like, yeah, he sounds like a prick, but he probably requested a retainer (the $1500) and then charged for every piece of paper, stamp, clip, post-it, ink, tape, glue, phone call, time entry, assistant's paper, assistant's stamp, assistant's clips,...well you get it. Fool me once, shame on me...my heart goes out to you, and I cannot believe someone could do something so heartless and pathetic. There are so many scams, evil and devious things going on now a days it makes me want to go live by myself on a patch of land with my husband, my kids and my shotgun. Luckily we will still smell nice from all the body wash, toothpaste and deodorant I have gotten from coupons. Thankfully there is a governing body who can take over this matter. In the interim I think that troubleshooter could potentially get your money back for you and investigate this douchebag. Just my two cents.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information