User Tag List

Ripple Effect of Kindness Blk_rose's Avatar
    Trading Score
    82 (100%)

I am not one to normally complain,but since couponing I feel my frustrations building and stacking. I have always had the uncanny ability to calm hasty situations...so WHY can I not calm,apologize good enough, prewarn about the wait, or ignore those who are inline behind me. This morning in Walmart I was using 10 coupons and made a mistake of finding a cashier who was polite and patient as ever but barely could read english. She had to page csm and it took forever, meaning while the older male behind me never let up long enough to catch his breath about my *$#$#@ing coupons. And how people like me shouldn't belong in stores. I apologized a few times and reminded him there was a fast lane for under 12 products(as he only had 3). I continued every so often to smile and thank him for his patients*lol*. I was doing fine until the csm left and when she was there I was trying to comfort my crying baby. The cashier then said i cant get all of my products because it said one per purchase.URGGGGGGGGGGH~~~ all in a second it became not ok my baby was crying...the lady couldn't read english and the old man had no patients or manors.

SOOOO my question is..how do YOU handle these situations and keep smiling.Yes i stood my ground...but barely. I just about let everyone win and just leave..but im to stubborn. But geeze was it ever hard to keep smiling and being polite this morning
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart

Deal Hunter
    Trading Score
    72 (100%)

I have been there too and it is not ok to be insulted by the people in line. Sorry to hear you had such a hard time, try going first thing in the morning when they first open up, I found it to be real quiet then, noone behind you huffing and puffing and insulting you every chance they get.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    49 (100%)

That is what I do... about post...

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

I'm sorry that man treated you that way.

I tend to go early to avoid lines, but that is not always possible.

I'm sure I've had impatient people behind me, but to be honest if he made a comment about my "@#$#$" coupons I would have addressed him straight out. People think they can say things like that and act that way because most people will not confront them. Also a lot of men think they can intimidate women.

If he thinks that people that use coupons don't belong in stores I'd be sure to let him know pigs don't belong in stores too. I swear he would have set me off.

I've become a lot more assertive since using coupons. I'm generally tired of taking crap in all aspects of my life.

I'm polite, I will discuss things/explain things to cashiers, sometimes I'm not in the mood and accept what they say but if someone, cashier or customer, is outright rude to me they're gonna get it right back.

I also do not feel obligated to keep smiling at all. I'm not scowling but I don't have to smile. I just try to stay organized, and watch the till for accuracy.

Gosh just reading about that man makes me feel so angry. Sometimes I think It's good that I don't know karate.
    Last edited by frugalkitty; Fri, Aug 5th, 2011 at 02:52 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

At Walmart, I limit my purchases with coupons and go through the express lane. That way it is just me and the cashier and nobody else.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I know I'm new at this but I think in any situation people should be treated with whatever degree of respect and dignity they are dishing out, and that man did not desearve the respect you were showing him!! I would have basically told him in no uncertain terms that stores are where coupons are printed to be used and you had every right to be exactly where you were, him on the other had should take his potty mouth and shove off because actually using language like that in public is illegal as well as the effect it has on stress levels and escellating the situation, it probably made it harder for the cashier to function and made your baby crankier because you were giving off stress vibes. All in all he made a hard situation horendous. So sorry you had to go through that, but good on ya that you stood your ground.. Blessed be.

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

If I ever hear anyone talk about my %^$#& coupons I would turn around and ask him/her if they minded not being so rude. If after that I heard it again I would turn around again and say."I'll tell you what, I belong in this store regardless of whether or not I am using coupons, but if it bothers you so much that I am using them you can give me ( however much I would have saved that trip). I imagine the shocked look that might appear on his face when he hears how much saved from coupons.
    I have saved a total of $471.69 since June 1, 2011. Tracker available at http://www..ca/coupontracker/

Rika
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Although I didn't have that particular incident happen ... I feel for you... I use a cane and so use one hand to unload the cart and put coupons by the products.... so it takes me a LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLong time to put things on the belt and colate the coupons to product.... lots of people get frustrated including me... I try to tell people behind me that my order will take longer as I have coupons as soon as they are in line. Not everyone is patient and they sometimes go to another lineup.... I get daggers and looks but luckily no one as rude as you have experienced. If that were to happen I would either tell him off OOOOrrrr the worst start crying ... its my worst fear. But I can only do what I can.... no more.

Coupons are important to my financial well being and no one is going to stop me.... If they are rude or obnoxious after my politeness I think ignoring them is a better option as long as you can .... I agree its difficult but venting here sure helps.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

I politely ask people who make comments if they'd like to pay for my stuff so we can get out of there quicker. Then when the decline I just smile

Ripple Effect of Kindness Blk_rose's Avatar
    Trading Score
    82 (100%)

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. Rika I did just about cry. People assume by my image i am tough and whatever but im all soft. Monica thanks for that comment it made me laugh and i think i will try using that. Like i said because of my tattoed arms and long black hair and piercings that i am not just like everyone else..and this causes alot of rude comments while couponing

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

frugal kitty wrote:

If he thinks that people that use coupons don't belong in stores I'd be sure to let him know pigs don't belong in stores too.

I generally aim to avoid line ups or just ignore the people behind me. I had problems at Superstore a couple months ago, I was doing a huge trip to stock up and had about 30 coupons with me and I had to wait on a price check and then an override because of the number of coupons. My baby was crying and people behind me were apparently giving dirty looks according to my boyfriend. I just ignored them. Not my fault things weren't scanning or an override was needed, so what do I care.

People also seem to get mad not only about coupons but about crying babies. Sorry, not going to apologize for my baby crying. It's not like they never cried when they were babies!

Cia
    Female
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    104 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Blk_rose View Post
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. Rika I did just about cry. People assume by my image i am tough and whatever but im all soft. Monica thanks for that comment it made me laugh and i think i will try using that. Like i said because of my tattoed arms and long black hair and piercings that i am not just like everyone else..and this causes alot of rude comments while couponing

First of all....You are just like everyone else, a human being who deserves to be treated with respect and politeness ... NO MATTER the outward appearance!!! Can you tell I've got a burr in my bonnet

The person who was in line behind you has no self respect, to be vulgar in public, to a person with a young child, and in front of a cashier and I am assuming other customers as well. Since he has no self respect, he does not know how to show respect to others, poor pitiful him.

You hold you long black haired head high and proud!!!! Do not let a fool make you feel bad.

I could do a whole post on the tattooed, pierced, hair color comments, and the judgements people make. I think I need a coffee to calm down lol.

Trading Score
    54 (100%)

That's happened to me so many times and I so nicely remind him that NOTHING is stopping him from going to another lane!
    ~~ i just scored a FREE wireless printer thanks to SWAGBUCKS! The reward community that works! Sign up now to try it out -- http://www.swagbucks.com/lilmonke

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

I am usually too busy helping pack my cloth bags and trying to keep an eye on the register to notice the bad looks. If anyone said anything my response would probably depend on wether my daughter was there or not. It must be nice to be so much better than everyone else and have money to waste.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

You know what...hold your head up and pretend he is not there.

There is nothing that bothers people more than being ignored. So turn around face the cashier, hold your baby and pretend he does not exist.

Think of an actress you really admire and how she would act out the scene..the ignoring scene. Pretend you are going to get an Academy Award for your performance.

Our oldest used to throw terrible terrible tantrums. We live in an area with alot of seniors who frequent the local mall. He is now 18 and although I remember the screaming I can not tell you what any of the seniors looked like.

Well one..the guy that claimed i parked my car to close to his car. I was no where near him and here I had a screaming toddler...

Thread Information