User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Hi everyone,
    I'm just trying to decide if it's worth my while to get a subscription to the calgary Herald or Sun, or neither. Just looking for ppl's experience finding coupons/inserts in your home delivered paper. It would come right to my door i don't live in a building. If it's not worth it i will just keep picking it up at the gas station when the RP/SS inserts come out.

Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    RLF: Degree deorderant, Secret deorderant, and Dove Nurishing Oils Shampoo/Conditioner
    FT: Clorox, Green Works, Iams, Pampers, Duracell, Sunlight laundry detergent and others

Savin' $ one coupon at a time

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I find that not all the papers from the stations or box's have inserts in them. I went personally to the Sun, intending to purchase the paper with the insert and they were firm in telling me they don't go to the stations etc. Only to subscribers homes. They weren't even helpful when I asked them about pricing for delivery service. Maybe the Herald would be better? Not sure. When the lady called someone to ask about left over inserts I could hear her comment that, "Crazy couponer's are back and want the inserts.....what do I tell them?" She must have known I was in ear shot. Not to impressed with them.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Other than coupon inserts I don't find much else for coupons in the papers. As for the sun and it having inserts in the stores.... Yesterday the ones at LD had inserts. I think it is hit or miss for the dun.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you know when the coupons (smart source, P&G, redplum) come out then you may as well just buy the paper at the store if you have been getting them that way. If the coupon inserts is the only reason you want a subscription, you will have to figure in the monthly cost and decide if it's worth it. I started buying the Herald before I got into couponing and continue to subscribe because I like this delivery for my news, so the cost of the subscription is not cutting into my savings from coupons, I would buy it anyway.
    I have seen smart source and redplum in the Sun when my landlord got a free subscription for awhile but I always get them in the Neighbors newspaper, which is included in the Herald, (and all the grocery store flyers are in Neighbors too). AFAIK, if you do not have a Herald subscription, Neighbors should still be delivered to you. I sometimes get it seperately from my Herald, just a mistake I supposse, I do remenber it getting delivered many years ago when I did not have a Herald subscription but you may want to check into whether you should be getting Neighbors in your area. If you also want the grocery store flyers, and many other flyers, you will need to get the Herald.I prefer this compared to looking up all the flyers online and as well you will get things like the Canadian Tire scratch cards we've all heard about lately. The Sun only has the occasional electronics store flyer.
    Depending on how much you are into couponing, you may only break even each month by getting a Herald subscription only for the coupon inserts. As I mentioned earlier, I would get it regardless, even if I didn't take advantage of the coupon inserts. Of course I always check for the coupon flyers first thing in the morning and see if it is worthwhile to buy several more newspapers.
    While I certainly haven't given you definitive answers here, I hope I have given you enough information to check things out, specifically in regard to the Neighbors newspaper which is produced by the Calgary Herald.
    Good luck in your information gathering and getting things sorted out to get the most bang for your buck, which is what it is all about.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Thanks for the info. I've always had good luck picking up the Herald at my local station the wknds that the inserts come out...i will probly just stick to that. I don't know if i can get the Neighbors paper delivered, i actually live outside of calgary. I should phone them
    RLF: Degree deorderant, Secret deorderant, and Dove Nurishing Oils Shampoo/Conditioner
    FT: Clorox, Green Works, Iams, Pampers, Duracell, Sunlight laundry detergent and others

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have yet to get the inserts in the Neighbours. Maybe my delivery person is a couponer too

Learning to Relax NovaScotiaGirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    67 (100%)

I would say don't bother and pick up at the gas stations,etc. Also try asking at the conveinence stores to see what they do with their old papers they might give you the inserts the day after if they are just recycling anyways??

Senior Canuck Goddess in this Household's Avatar
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Well said, Anthony123. I also subscribe to the Herald, but it is also my preferred method of getting my news. Being a parent, I find it's a good way for my kids to keep up on current events. The coupons (which are always in my home delivered subscription) are just a bonus!

So, from a money savings standpoint, if you're just after the coupons I wouldn't bother.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

If you don't get a subscription, which I opt not to, contact Flyer Force to get added to their weekly delivery. They deliver flyers to the homes that don't subscribe to the papers, but you may have been taken off if the previous resident didn't want the flyers. You can find them online to submit and email about getting flyers. This is how I get my flyers every week and then on weeks like this week I try and collect extras from my friends.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

ok thx I am going to contact Flyer force

Thread Information