User Tag List

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Help: is French coupons accepted in Winnipeg stores (SDM, WM, etc.)? I assume yes since Canada claims itself a bilingual country and both English and French are official languages, lol. And I hear that French communitty in Manitoba is very strong. So, can I use my French coupies there?
    TIA
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart

Coupon Queenie #376
    Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I have used French cpns 3 times at both places with no issues.

Trading Score
    456 (100%)

I used French coupons at Walmart this week

Winnipeg Airmiler
    Trading Score
    215 (100%)

M'oi aussie!

Trading Score
    67 (100%)

Not only are we a bilinigual country but Manitoba is a bilingual province (not all are). I use them all the time - leagally they must be accepted as long as they are redeemable Canadian manufacturers coupons that have not expired. Some times I have to translate or explain the coupon but have never been refused.
    Start earning SwagBucks here: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/DanesMom

It's easy, it's fun, and it's free!!

Trading Score
    237 (100%)

good to know!!

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

great! Thanks all for your replies. I do not want to leave behind my beloved French coupons when I move there.

Trading Score
    26 (93%)

They do. I am really looking forward to when I move to New Brunswick though as it's Canada's only officially bilingual province and I can't wait to use both languages there and become more fluently bilingual.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort - Herm Albright (1876-1944)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    197 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DanesMom View Post
    Not only are we a bilinigual country but Manitoba is a bilingual province (not all are). I use them all the time - leagally they must be accepted as long as they are redeemable Canadian manufacturers coupons that have not expired. Some times I have to translate or explain the coupon but have never been refused.
    Manitoba is not "officially" bilingual - only New Brunswick is under the official languages act. Manitoba has bilingual policies, it's not quite the same.

Mes deux cents!
    Vous parlez français? Venez nous visiter sur www.rabaisextreme.ca!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    197 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MeMew View Post
    Help: is French coupons accepted in Winnipeg stores (SDM, WM, etc.)? I assume yes since Canada claims itself a bilingual country and both English and French are official languages, lol. And I hear that French communitty in Manitoba is very strong. So, can I use my French coupies there?
    TIA
    Tu auras plus de chances d'utiliser tes coupons français dans les quartiers francophones (par exemple: Saint-Boniface et Saint-Vital). Mais, cela dit, ne te laisse pas manger la laine sur le dos et fonce!

(translation: You will probably have a better chance of using your French coupons in francophone neighbourhoods like St-B and St-Vital, however, don't let them get the best of you and go ahead - use them).

I have always used French coupons...I think it's all in the attitude. If cashiers don't understand what it says, I simply explain it to them. No one has really dared refuse the French coupons.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    197 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wpgafwife View Post
    They do. I am really looking forward to when I move to New Brunswick though as it's Canada's only officially bilingual province and I can't wait to use both languages there and become more fluently bilingual.
    There's lots of people to practice French with "across the river"! You can bank, shop, eat, enjoy cultural events etc. in French in St-Boniface. For some funny reason though, only in the past few years has Safeway actually hired bilingual cashiers...

Trading Score
    26 (93%)

I tried when I first moved here. We went to this breakfast place over there.. and when I tried ordering. gosh.. my freezer has warmer temperatures. It wasn't exactly welcoming. I haven't really tried again since. I really miss it though. When we were posted in Quebec, I got to practice all the time in Chicoutimi plus took some french classes and the immersion really helped. (It really helps when you go to spend a weekend with your in-laws who speak ONLY french and you have to converse with them - my poor hubby. For the first day we were there, I was constantly yelling to him 'honey! how do I say.....' LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie girl View Post
    There's lots of people to practice French with "across the river"! You can bank, shop, eat, enjoy cultural events etc. in French in St-Boniface. For some funny reason though, only in the past few years has Safeway actually hired bilingual cashiers...
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort - Herm Albright (1876-1944)

Trading Score
    26 (93%)

Oh, I also practice at home sometimes as Hubby is fluently bilingual. He spoke nothing but french for the first 18 years of life, but has better english skills than me sometimes now. *grins*

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    197 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wpgafwife View Post
    I tried when I first moved here. We went to this breakfast place over there.. and when I tried ordering. gosh.. my freezer has warmer temperatures. It wasn't exactly welcoming. I haven't really tried again since. I really miss it though. When we were posted in Quebec, I got to practice all the time in Chicoutimi plus took some french classes and the immersion really helped. (It really helps when you go to spend a weekend with your in-laws who speak ONLY french and you have to converse with them - my poor hubby. For the first day we were there, I was constantly yelling to him 'honey! how do I say.....' LOL)
    That sucks! I think you should try again...perhaps you just didn't talk to the right people. Sheesh! It's like the bad cashiers!

I know lots of nice people...Plus, if talking is too intimidating, there is a French library, a weekly newspaper, French tv and French radio...We are a thriving community (and not just in Winnipeg). You just have to find whatever fits. (BTW, I taught French for over 7 years and my students got mixed reactions sometimes too...you just have to keep trying!).

Trading Score
    26 (93%)

Yep, I have french books at home plus I watch French channels at home and we are avid DVD collectors (among my favs are the foreign movies) so I watch a lot of French DVDs also, or watch my usual fav dvds in French because I usually know the script enough to be able to match the lanaguages up a bit.

Thread Information