User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Kids with expensive toys

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I figured this was going to happen eventually, but age four, DS is already starting to ask for more expensive toys because his four year old friends have them.

We have one of his friends over at our place today, he hadn't been here before. One of the first things he did was inform us of all the things he had. "I have a DS, I have a big yard to play in, I have lots of DVDs," etc.

Not asking for advice, just venting a bit. I have no intention of buying my four year old a $150 Nintendo DS, but I guess this is just the start of kids whose parents DO buy these types of things, trying to make other kids feel bad that they don't have them.

Z
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess

Junior Canuck BewilderedBrunette's Avatar
    Trading Score
    92 (100%)

Ya...this is really horrible. I have younger sisters, (actually 20 and 21 years younger) they're 12 and 13. The 12 year old has a friend who's mother will rush out to buy her ANYTHING my sister suggests she'd, herself would like. IE: Sister is visiting at her home and mentions that she'd like an IPOD Touch. The friends mother will pack them up in the car and off to buy her daughter one! Then the friend is boasting for weeks after. It's happened a number of times, cell phone, concert tickets... My sister is pretty level headed and doesn't really let it bother much but I know it irks my mom.

I really don't understand this mothers motivation....making up for something or maybe just simply because she can...

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

all kids want what other kids have
    there's no way around that, it's part of their maturing process

and you have a few years left of it unfortunately!
    nicolthepickle likes this.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

My guys four the most expensive things he has is his wooden thomas set, we have invested quite a bit in that over the last few years, but it does have good resale value.

Hmmn, my oldest has a DS, but we got it for him for his bday a few years ago, my 4 year old plays on it a bit but I'd never buy him one yet, hes too young.

As for them asking, like bubs said its gonna happen, my oldest comes home sometimes and says my friend has this and this and they are going to Barbados next week and I'll be like thats great, you have this and this and went to floriday last year so your point? Lmao!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

This is something we had to deal with as well - since I was the higher income earner before becoming a SAHM, things were really tight. Then when our son was five, we moved to 'the big city' and that meant immediately rent and utilities doubled, let alone other expenses.
    We were lucky to find a decent home to rent in a 'nicer' area of the city - but then that also meant our son was going to school with kids from way higher income levels than ours.
    We just always handled things simply with our son - we got what we could for gifts and treats, and that was it. He never really had the 'in' clothes and shoes - but I came as close as I could! (and luckily, he didn't care much, even in his teen years) Plus, sometimes I really lucked out at thrift stores - and, of course, sales!
    For toys and stuff - our rule was no gaming system, but we had a few inexpensive handheld games. We didn't get him a system until he was in high school - and that was a used one.
    And you know what? He survived - he knew all along what was important, and we did talk to him lots along the way about consumerism, etc. Sometimes he would be the one to bring up things - and say how stupid he thought some stuff was, like why in the world would you pay $150 for a pair of runners?
    lecale and glowworm2k like this.

Trading Score
    101 (100%)

*sheepishly looks around*

My four year old has a DS. But I'm not a bad parent...really!

Although our kids may have lots of things that others don't there will always be things that they want "because so and so has one." The flavour of the month is a trampoline!

I, too, think it's important that children learn they can't have everything they want, but I'm not opposed to spoiling them...a little!
    nicolthepickle likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

DS will have to play with DH's nintendo ds. Not going to buy the latest one out there for sure. He'll have to learn to understand that he cannot always get what others have.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

There's nothing wrong with getting your child expensive toys and things, that's just not my thing. I figure we'll go through that in a big way when he's a teenager!

To this child who is visiting with us today, I wanted to reply, "But y'know what? My DS has a college fund, which he's gonna appreciate a lot more later!"

Z
    glowworm2k likes this.

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

We're the same way...we are not going to be buying DS expensive toys, until he understands the value of a dollar (which will hopefully be sooner than other kids who don't have a savvy shopper for a mom )

When I was growing up, my parents made me work for things I wanted, and even then those things were usually bought either second hand, are passed down from family members. I had chores, and would have to save my money in order to get what I wanted, and birthdays and xmas weren't any different. We didn't get cool things just because the neighbours did (our cousins used to have all the newest toys and gadgets and would rub it in our faces all the time).

Smart Canuck GottaLoveFreeebies's Avatar
    Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I have my kids saving for the things that they want....helps them realize what it takes to get these things (they are only 4 and 5 started this about a year ago) and they know what it means to save and buy things now which is nice. I give them choices for example they want to go to for ice cream often- I explain to them that we can get 4 pails for what 4 servings would cost us......so they usually opt to go get a pail....

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by reese&rorysmom View Post
    *sheepishly looks around*

My four year old has a DS. But I'm not a bad parent...really!

Although our kids may have lots of things that others don't there will always be things that they want "because so and so has one." The flavour of the month is a trampoline!

I, too, think it's important that children learn they can't have everything they want, but I'm not opposed to spoiling them...a little!
    lol ... my 6 year old has had a DS for almost 2 years and my about to turn 3 year old already has 3 games on DH's ipod touch

we do give them a time limit though

i FULLY expect my boys to grow up being "gamers" like their dad and have zero problem with that so long as there is balance.

Trading Score
    60 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GottaLoveFreeebies View Post
    I have my kids saving for the things that they want....helps them realize what it takes to get these things (they are only 4 and 5 started this about a year ago) and they know what it means to save and buy things now which is nice. I give them choices for example they want to go to for ice cream often- I explain to them that we can get 4 pails for what 4 servings would cost us......so they usually opt to go get a pail....
    I hope to be able to do that with my lil one...

I totally intend to tell him that he has 2 of the most expensive toys ever... His daddy and me!

At the right time, a kind word from a stranger, or encouragement from a friend, can make all the difference in the world. Kindness is free, but it's priceless. ~ Doe Zantamata

"And it's always the right time!" ~ Woofy

Trading Score
    76 (100%)

we recently bought ds a little tykes castle slide. it was 80$ at superstore (toys r us usually charges 100).we bought it because he really loves the slides at the park and I wanted him to have it.(he loves his slide lol) he will not have verry many expensive toys though when hes old enough to ask. we get a lot of second hand toys from my cousin who had twins a few years before we had ds. I wouldnt buy him any used toys because i dont know where they came from (if the home had pets/smokers...) we do buy him some new toys though...does that make me a bad mom? (i feel mean and cheap if we dont buy him anything and he only has used toys but i dont think there is anything wrong with having used toys either) his favorite small toy is a stuffed gingy (the ginger break character from shrek) that was given to us by my cousin.
    Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

The trouble with kids these days, is they are too influenced by tv, advertising, and whate every other kid "has" that they don't...
    My kids are 10-16...when they wanted something like a DS or cell phone, they had to buy it themselves with their own money...we do not contribute unless it is birthday or Christmas money...with 4 kids, it can be really costly if one has it and the others don't..
    I am all for buying toys that get children active, like swingset, or the WiiFit, or sports equipment...but DVD's, CD's, DS game systems when they start going to school and see everyone else having them and they don't, is too hard to "Keep up with the Jones's"..they have to buy their own..
    What ever happened to dolls and cars, or toy trucks and Barbies...kids these days grow up too fast and have too many influences...lol
    Last edited by Litesandsirens911; Fri, Jun 25th, 2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: reworded my comments
    lecale, Granger and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    101 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Litesandsirens911 View Post
    ...but DVD's, CD's, DS game systems (Especially at 4, geez!!) is ridiculous...
    Colour me ridiculous!

But the DS is an excellent way to keep the boys busy on long drives from N. Alberta to civilization and flights like the two we took to Disneyland last year!
    gracesmommy likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information