58 (100%)

What area of the city do you live in?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Im on the south side

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

hugs im sorry... you could start a day home.. as long as its not a daycare i dont think you need a licence... take in a couple kids... make extra money that way

Trading Score
    108 (100%)

My suggestion if you want to work during the day is: find two seperate day homes. I had to do that. One that would take the little one all day and another that will pick up from school (most likely you could find another mom during the first week of school or post an add on kijiji).

Personally I do daycare from home and do consulting work at night. If full time daycare isn't for you - consider doing before and after school care. They would be at your house for a bit in the morning or an hour or two in the afternoon. I pick up from school and play at the playground for an hour then walk home have a snack and parents are already arriving to pick up by then. You can have up to 6 children in you home (including your own) with out a license. You would advertise as a private child care and not a dayhome. Call me for more details if that sounds like an option - I could give you other resources to get set up and you could be making money by next week.

Consulting work is my other income - consider your hidden talents and how you could sell them, such as your clay dolls. I do writing. I have friends that do house cleaning and took their kids, bus driver (you can take your kids along and they pay for training, but you have to deal with kids!), evening commercial janitorial. Last year I checked kijiji about hiring a laundry service as I couldn't keep up anymore. A mom in the neighbourhood picks up your laundry, seperated by colours and washes it, folds it and then drops it off folded... Lots of home business ideas on kijiji. I also was a unit leader for PartyLite once upon a time and then with Creative Memories. Lots of ideas. I actually teach online courses on self-employment for www.lifestrategies.ca and was an career coach so let's chat again, you have my number
    I'm no longer couponing and my dogs have passed away. I can't figure out how to delete my profile. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

How about nights not evenings as evenings is the worst to try to work around due to overlap plus if you have young kids they need you at home in the evening.

.Walmart and Superstore frequently adverstises for night shelf stackers. It means you go to work at 10 or 11 at night and get home at around 8 am. You might need to find a sitter for an hour or so overlap for when your husband leaves for work. Tim's and Mcdonalds also hires night staff. I know it is not at the level you are used to.

I know couples that do this..he works days..she works nights. But when you think of it there would be only three days where you would be really stretched as I expect your husband gets two days off and so will you. You can drop your kids off at school/kindergarten and grab some sleep.

If you can avoid paying daycare fees then you do not to have as high salary jobs.

I am not sure what you have looked at but there are ads on kijiji...google kijiji edmonton jobs.

As well for your husband often on kijiji there are ads for cash jobs for weekends..he might be also able to pick up some casual labour to supplement the income.
    Last edited by Kelkens; Thu, Aug 18th, 2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: added

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I understand there is going to be a decrease in the pay going from working full time to part time, but I guess when we discovered that we could neither locate, nor comfortably afford child care, we thought the part time work thing would be much easier. I think DH has to either start picking up a lot more work (since he has the higher hourly wage) or he needs to commit to being home at a specific (and earlier) time in order for me to start somewhere at 5 or 6. I am going to sit and do a bunch more investigation tonite and see what I can find. I tried to market the clay dolls, but i think once again that I dont make enough income. Maybe what I need to do is start selling at community fairs and such. I just need to have more time to search without interruption...the time is now!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

The problem with part time work is part time pay and when you factor in childcare, commuting costs,etc it is not really worth it unless you can eliminate some of that probably the child care as it is so huge.

I know someone mentioned Alberta Health Services but except for night shifts at the hospitals they are not that flexible. Shifts start at a certain time and end at a certain time during the day and afternoon and there is no room for negogiation because if you are in records or admitting someone has to cover the desk.

You would have better luck at a lawyers office as often they have an answering machine and the clerk comes in to review the messages to give to the lawyers. Billing and such can also be carried out on weekends and evenings.

Places like Tims also hire night staff from 10pm-6 am..it is hard go to take care of kiddies after working all night but again it would only be for a few day each week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information