User Tag List

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Trading Score
    346 (100%)

This slideshow takes a look at what the conductor does to set up a train, explains train ratings, etc. It also touch on some of pitfalls with trains.

Watch Thing 6: How to Conduct a Train

5 Things I Learned Since Making the Video

1. So do not trim the coupons like I did ... turns out some stores are really really picky - one rider couldn't take a coupon she liked because she had this type of store.
    2. X Saran Wrap - people wonder why? is this bundle for someone. On VWT tedious to wrap and unwrap and identify who sent what to whom. Use baggies.
    3. X Donuts while packing coupon envie -- Stranger than fiction - one couponer had a train returned by the post office because it was "suspicious". No real reason given why.
    4. Please explain why you pack things in baggies. Once you reach a certain weight, you can use a larger envelope and keep the envelope flatter if you use baggies to pack coupons in like sizes. So this is something I do. I think the envelope is less likely to tear than a super chubby envelope with coupons sliding around.
    5. Feedback forgotten by new riders Add to the train progress list a way to show if the rider has left feedback. This is a nice way of reminding them that's there's still a step to do.

Postage and Trains

One of the reasons for asking people to replace (and not add tons of coupons) is postage. Coupons are surprisingly heavy and it`s nice if we can keep the postage at no more than $2.05 or $2.85. It`s a question of value -- if you find 5 coupons (that`d be great) that add up to $6 savings, paying $2 or $3 for the train is okay -- not super but okay.

Tips on taming the postage monster -- packaging the coupons in little bundles so they don`t make the envelope too fat. Width matters. Using a bigger envelope -- 8.5 x 11 packed flat will cost $2.05 and you can put a lot in there. You`ll see a few other little things that I do in the slide show.

If the train gets super heavy - more than $2.85 - check with the conductor and work out a way to scale it back. Maybe triplicates crept in or some "craptalicious" coupons.

Extra cash here - earn by searching/watching videos/doing offers on swagbucks - it's a legit site and pays reliably.

Already do swagbucks?try Instagc or pm me for invite codes for Gifthulk.

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

Here's the train that I promised to do in the first post. That seems so long ago.

Please PM me if you'd like to ride this train and include your address.

This train will have lots of different coupons, mostly food, expiring after December 31. There will be no more than 2 of each coupon. The coupons will primarily be $$ or cents off.

The goal will be to show you some coupons that you`ve haven't seen before so you can get an idea of the variety of coupons available plus hopefully you'll find some useful coupons.

Train Rules

Boarding pass: Waived by conductor, this ride is free

1. Replace what you take, $ for $ value, Buy 1/Get1, MIR, etc.

2. There needs to be a maximum of two of each coupon, so do not replace a coupon with one that would make a third copy.

3. Coupons expiry date must be after Dec 30. If you receive the train in December, please try to add coupons that expire after January 31 if possible. That`s so the last riders don`t receive an envie of expired coupons.

4. Brandsaver, save.ca, go coupons, coupon inserts, tearpads, etc. may be included. No printed, store specific or Toonies for Tummies unless specifically requested on the next rider's wish list.

5. No "craptalicious" coupons. No "craptalicious" coupons. Be considerate of the next riders – don’t send coupons that we know nobody is looking for. (ie. Lakota, OsteoFlex, most medical ones except popular things that everyone uses: tylenol, advil; hair dye, mops, expensive beauty products with $2 off, ... often referred to as "craptalicious" coupons)

When the train arrives:

1. Post on this thread AND PM me as soon as the envelope arrives.

2. Mail out the train within 24 hours(48 hours is okay if needed) - Please go to a post office and weigh the envelope to ensure correct postage. Also make sure it is packed securely. Add extra tape to ensure it doesn`t get eaten by the post office machines.

3. PM me with your out/in amount
    and when you receive/send so everything stays on track. For example, took out 2 BOGOs, 3x $1 off, replaced with same.

4. Remove any expired coupons (sometimes one or two slip on board)

Extra cash here - earn by searching/watching videos/doing offers on swagbucks - it's a legit site and pays reliably.

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

So there are 5 riders so far. Some are from another EPIC group who had a train derail before it arrived at their stop. I'm starting to pack up the train. Cheers.

• bairdgoodwin
    • schwarzie
    • mart0308
    • bgheuchert
    • HouseholdSaver
    • Wed, Nov 9th, 2011 07:30 AM
      DeeBuck
    Last edited by Giving-Small; Wed, Nov 9th, 2011 at 10:25 AM.

Ruler of my own universe DeeBuck's Avatar
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

CanI please ride the train?

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

For sure Dee - welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeBuck View Post
    CanI please ride the train?

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

Okay here are the riders. There are a couple of people hopping on who were on another EPIC group train that was derailed.

1. bairdgoodwin Orilla ON
    2. DeeBuck Lakefield ON
    3. mart0308 Gatineau, QC
    4. bgheuchert near Saskatoon, SK
    5. schwarzie Calgary AB
    6. HouseholdSaver Chestermere, AB
    7. Giving-Small Saskatoon

About the Route

We want a quick route but we also want variety.

Coupons are different by region and even by the stores you have in your area.

So the envelope starts in the prairies and heads to Ontario and Quebec and then back to the prairies and Alberta.

What will be in the train?

I will include mostly food coupons - these seem to be the most popular ones. I will put in a few from other categories that lots of people find interesting.

What are the train rules?

1. Replace what you take out with the same type/value: so a $3 with a $3; a FPC with an FPC
    2. No more than 2 copies of the same coupon.
    3. Coupons must expiry Dec 31 or later, no exceptions
    4. Mail the train out 24 hours after you receive. 48 hours is the absolute latest you can mail it out.
    5. Communication is critical:
      1. Post to the thread as soon as you receive the envelope
      2. Post a summary of what you took out and put in
      3. Post when the train leaves on the thread
      4. Leave a train rating for the conductor when you send out the train

6. Conductor will leave rate riders when the train arrives home. Communication is a big factor in deciding how to rate.
    7. No craptilicious coupons -- for example, hair dye, anti age beauty product worth $70 where you have a $2 coupon, most medicine (senakot; hydrasense, etc. Put in coupons that you know others will find interesting and useful. Not sure, just pm the conductor.

What coupons can you use with this train?

1. Brandsaver, save.ca, gocoupons, tear pads, inserts etc ... may be included

No printed, store specific or Toonies for Tummies coupons unless specifically requested on someone's wish list.
    Last edited by Giving-Small; Mon, Nov 14th, 2011 at 01:42 AM.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

So sorry haven't checked in for awhile, hope all are well I was wondering if i could board train, if it's left already no problem I understand.

So Thurs night i sit down go through my flyers circle all the good deals i see, i then compare my list to the thread by Anne, then i narrow it down to what i really need or what's a reallly great deal and scratch the others out. I then write out my list for each store with my corresponding coupon and highlight price matches. Takes me a couple of hours but then once the kids are on the bus Fri morning I'm off to the store right away before it gets busy or items are sold out. I usually make 3-4 stops, then probably once midweek for fresh bakery or milk (lunches) So that's how i do my weekly shop!

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

Geniemom - sure - just pm be your address. We'll squeeze you on.

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

Left Saskatoon Nov 17 -- off to bairgoodwin

I stuffed it - lots of food, added other coupons that are of interest but only 1 baby and maybe 1 or 2 pet coupons.

For the High Value-MIR ones be great if you can each get one or two.

I have photos of them. Will post tomorrow.

1. bairdgoodwin Orilla ON
    2. DeeBuck Lakefield ON
    3. mart0308 Gatineau, QC
    4. schwarzie Calgary AB
    5. HouseholdSaver Chestermere, AB
    6. geniemom
    7. Giving-Small Saskatoon

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

I am soooo excited about the train!

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

HouseholdSaver, is there anything in particular you are looking for? I will try to make sure I send that along if I have it.

Excited about this train!!!

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

Here's a few quick photos that I snapped. I didn't get to zoom in on all of them or spread them all out.

Orillia Coupon Newbie
    Trading Score
    146 (100%)

Received the train on Friday Nov 25th and it's moving through the mail today Monday Nov 28th. $23.50 out and $40.60 in. Great coupons!!

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

bairdgoodwin - great communication and update and so glad you found useful coupons.So your next step is to leave feedback rating for me - the conductor.

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Oohhh! it's coming to me next I can't wait!!!!

"I'm so excited and I just can't hide it..."

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information