User Tag List

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: Everything GLUTEN FREE foods thread!

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Hey everyone!,

Well I have come across a few glutenites (non gluten eating humans haha) on SC and thought it would be great if we had a place to post recipes or foods we have found that do not taste like cardboard LOL Even restaurants you have discovered that have GF menus or food options. So please post away, oh and if you have a question on something ask away Im sure the answer can be found between one of us.

This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

great idea vee

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

This weekend BF and I went to Toronto. I had done a search of some GF places to eat and so I had my list in hand and we were prepared to go!
    For a snack we stopped at Hibiscus Cafe - located in Kensington Market @ 268 Augusta Rd. It is such a cute cafe!! The whole menu is GF. Vegan and Organic what a treat to go someplace and not have to worry what is or is not GF!
    BF and I shared (we were full I just really wanted to try something haha) buckwheat crepe filled with nutella and bananas! *drool* it was amazing!!! He had a sparking water and I had a fresh squeezed lemonade...so all this for $12.75! The crepe was really big and enough for both of us, we left feeling satisfied and full of energy to tackle Toronto Here is a pic of the crepe. YUMMM

For dinner we decided to go to The Old Spaghetti Factory @ 54 The Esplanade, any of there pastas can be made GF for an extra $1.25. I had the Penni pasta (gf of course ) with browned butter and Mazithra cheese...Umm it was the most cheesy, most amazing pasta ever!!! And with every meal you get a salad or soup to start and to finish you get to choose your flav of ice cream and coffee or tea. BF and I both had salad, pasta dishes (he had a non gf pasta shame shame! haha) and we had spumoni ice cream and coffee all for under $40! I recommend this place if your in the mood for pasta!
    I wanted to take a pic but I got so excited when I saw the pasta I forgot haha

There was one more place I wanted to go to called Big Mamma Boy @ 554 Parliament ST. I heard they had amazing pizza and everything can be made GF. but we never had a chance to go so that is on my list for our next day trip to Toronto.
    Last edited by VeeVee; Tue, Aug 3rd, 2010 at 11:10 AM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thank you, VeeVee, for starting this thread!

I'm just such a novice when it comes to being a gluetnite and so far you've been a tremendous help for me! Knowing that Toronto has such places for us to eat is great...and I do enjoy The Spaghetti Factory from time to time. However, as you know, we're many km north of you, so recipes will have to do for now....

I posted this pie-crust to you, but I'll share it here, since it's summer and while everyone else is eating pie....we're not! hah!
    So here it is....
    http://www.glutenfreeda.com/aug10-summer-pie.asp

If anyone tries it before me, please post your thoughts...
    Thanks again, VeeVee!!!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Yay! Something to dip!!
    Haven't tried them, but I might take them
    with us on our trip......

GF Cheddar Crackers!

http://www.glutenfreeda.com/cooking_class-oct09.asp
    thecountess likes this.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Those cheese crackers look yummy! I will try one day.

On Friday I made cupcakes from a premade mix...it was called The gluten free pantry Old fashion cake and cookie mix. They turned out so goood!!! Very moist and fluffy which as we all now is hard to come by when speaking of gf foods haha
    I topped them with Betty Crockers milk chocolate frosting (yes its GF!!). The mix sells for around $6 at grocery stores and it made 12 cupcakes!

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

A recipe I have tried and love (so does BF) is Blintzes!
    I make these for breakfast and fill them with cheese, mushrooms, green onions and turkey bacon (butterball is gf!). Blintzes are like crepes and so easy to make!!!

For about 6 blintzes you will need
    4 tbsp of potato starch (bulkbarn)
    1/2 cup water
    4 eggs ( I use 2 eggs and 2 egg whites for a healthier option)
    pinch of salt

first mix the starch and water mix well so the starch does not harden up on you, add the eggs and salt and mix well. In a heated pan add some oil and a ladle full of the blintz batter, after a min flip the blintz and this is when I add the goodies...fill one side with whatever u like and flip the other side over...ENJOY! There super tasty

rpearson40 likes this.

mle
    Female
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Those crepes look so good! And I actually do have a question about eating gluten-free. Do you eat gluten free due to an allergy/health problem or is there a health benefit from not eating gluten?

I've seen gluten-free options but I'm not sure if the taste is that same, like Pizza Pizza's gluten free crust. Has anyone tried it? is it better for you? Thanks in advance for answers, I appreciate you sharing
    Last edited by mle; Tue, Aug 3rd, 2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling oopsies

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mle View Post
    Those crepes look so good! And I actually do have a question about eating gluten-free. Do you eat gluten free due to an allergy/health problem or is there a health benefit from not eating gluten?

I've seen gluten-free options but I'm not sure if the taste is that same, like Pizza Pizza's gluten free crust. Has anyone tried it? is it better for you? Thanks in advance for answers, I appreciate you sharing
    I personally eat it bc I am Gluten Intolerant found out a few months ago. There is no pill or cure for Celiac (the disease) or gluten intolerance except a life long strict diet of no GLUTEN! I can say for myself since going gf I feel 100% better, no cramps, no migraines, weight loss, aches and pains I used to have are gone and no acid reflux which I had almost daily. I have heard of some ppl going gf for other reasons other then being gluten intolerant, but for me it was bc I cannot eat it.

I have never tried the gf pizza crust from Pizza Pizza but have tried the one from Pizza Nova and its great!!!
    rpearson40 likes this.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

If anyone is looking for some yummy fresh , great tasting bread, baguettes, and buns then you must try Aiden's Gluten Free. I know some places in Toronto sell it but I buy it at Planet Organic in Mississauga. They sell pretty quick so make sure to go on the days they are delivered which is Monday, Thursdays and Saturdays.
    I bought the buns and we had burgers on Friday and I felt like I was eating real bread haha it was great!
    Here is the website to check where you can buy it and the story behind the company.
    http://aidansglutenfree.com/
    rpearson40 likes this.

mle
    Female
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Hmm, maybe I'll give it a try sometime! I have a friend with intolerance as well, and a friend's mother as well. Sounds painful, glad to hear you're dealing very well with it!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Mle..I second VeeVee's post about having gluten intolerance and the pain, discomfort we have when we eat anything with or comes into contact with gluten. I made the mistake of having french fries at Kelsey's the other day, thinking that with my no-bun swiss burger I"d be fine, only to be doubled over in my girlfriend's car when we left the restaurant. My hubby saw first-hand what happens when I eat that stuff (not that he doubted me, but I thought I was being so careful!)...I was in a fetal-position on the sofa for most of the day. The fries were frozen, which meant that they might have been coated with flour to prevent them freezing together, as is the custom, or they were probably fried in a fryer that's used for other floured foods, like battered fish, etc....

Now (when I don't make any novice mistakes) I can go about my days without being doubled over in pain and cramps after every meal!! HOW did we get by before this VeeVee??!!

I've not been officially diagnosed, but see our doc on the 11th. I don't care if I'm diagnosed or not....I feel normal again! And that's good enough for me! So if you have friends who are suffering the way we were, please ask them to try this way of eating. I felt SO much better even after 3 days!!
    rpearson40 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by VeeVee View Post
    A recipe I have tried and love (so does BF) is Blintzes!
    I make these for breakfast and fill them with cheese, mushrooms, green onions and turkey bacon (butterball is gf!). Blintzes are like crepes and so easy to make!!!

For about 6 blintzes you will need
    4 tbsp of potato starch (bulkbarn)
    1/2 cup water
    4 eggs ( I use 2 eggs and 2 egg whites for a healthier option)
    pinch of salt

first mix the starch and water mix well so the starch does not harden up on you, add the eggs and salt and mix well. In a heated pan add some oil and a ladle full of the blintz batter, after a min flip the blintz and this is when I add the goodies...fill one side with whatever u like and flip the other side over...ENJOY! There super tasty

OH! I love blintzes or crepes!! But without flour? Fantastic!!

Our Ukrainian culture makes them the traditional way of course, but we spread them with a sweet cottage cheese mixture, roll them and place them into a pan, drizzle melted butter over them, bake them and serve them with sweetened sour cream OMG!! THE best! I'll dig up the recipe for you!!
    They're called Nalysnyky....(sp?)

Thanks, VeeVee....I never thought of using savory fillings!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for the gluten-free crepe!
    Here's the filling!

Cottage Cheese Filling

2 cups cottage cheese
    2 egg yolks
    1/4 cup OR
    more sugar
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon
    4 grains salt

Mix all together, and spread a layer onto each crepe.
    Roll, and place in a baking pan and drizzle generously with melted butter.
    Spread each with some sour cream sweetened with a little sugar.
    Bake @ 325 for about 20-30min, or until puffed up and heated though.
    Some of the crepes get a little golden brown, and So good!!

Serve with:
    Sour cream sweetened with a little sugar!

No calories, right?
    Enjoy!
    rpearson40 likes this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

This thread would be great. I am wheat intolerant, but my babe and my Dh is dairy allergic. So I will be watching this thread with eagle eyes for something that ww ALL can eat.

Question about the crepes... they look yummy- do they freeze well? As easy as they may be to make, I get home after work with just 1/2 hour (or less depending on traffic) to get a meal into my DS. (Thank you crock pot!!! ) With a minced (hamburger) meat stuffing this may be a great thing!!
    Redneck Charger likes this.

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information