User Tag List

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Heyy everyone...

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if it would be cheaper to buy candles or to make them myself...I'm wanting 3x9" or 4x12" pillar candles...I've seen ones to buy online but it's all sooooo expensive. Thing is, the wax to make it seems very expensive too so I don't know if it's worth it!

I looove candles and want to start making them so they're all custom but i have no idea where to begin, or if theres any way to save money on it

Thanks for all your help!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I would think that with the equipment you'd need to invest to make your own candles, it wouldn't necessarily be cheaper, unless you decide on making them more than once. I seem to recall that candles come on sale often and/or are available at the dollar store, so I doubt making your own would be cheaper than buying.

Having said that, if there's a reason you want custom candles, for example, you prefer that they be scented with essential oils instead of synthetic fragrances, then it may be cheaper to make them instead of buying them at specialized boutiques. (If I can use myself as an example. I started making my own soap because at the time the only soap I could buy that didn't irritate my skin was $5 a bar (fifteen years ago) and that one bar lasted one week. Making my own soap cost me about $1 a bar, and considering the circumstances, it was worth making my own.)

This place below sells starter kits, so it gives you an idea how much it would cost. (I've ordered soapmaking supplies from this place, so I can vouch that they are a reputable company.)

http://www.canwax.com/Starter-Kits_c_33.html

It's also a good site to browse and figure out how much things costs. Then you can always go look in your community and see if you can find equipment/ingredients at cheaper prices. (Maybe you could buy parafin at Michaels using the 50% coupons.)
    Last edited by blueeyetea; Fri, Aug 19th, 2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: correct typos

Trading Score
    133 (100%)

I own my own business making candles, soaps and bath & body products.
    http://www.lindsayscandles.com
    I will warn you that in the beginning, it's a very expensive hobby. There are tons of different kinds of waxes and wicks and it takes a lot of testing in order to find the right combination that burns properly. I'm sure you can understand that a candle that doesnt burn properly can be VERY dangerous!

If it's something you're really interested in then by all means go for it, just dont expect to save money for quite awhile!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I need to learn more about good wicks to use. I've been combining the remnants of same candles if they don't burn down properly (read - someone else burns them and doesn't hug them when I'm not around, grrr). I picked up some wicks at Michaels to insert but they seem really thin and crappy, so I'm not sure where I can get better, thicker wicks - any ideas people?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Bump - anyone have any wick recommendations?

Trading Score
    133 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by snow00774 View Post
    Bump - anyone have any wick recommendations?
    Sorry Snow, there's no way to recommend wicks unless I know exactly what type/kind of wax you're using. If you're using remnants than there's no way of knowing what's in the wax so therefore it's all trial and error.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by linnyeg View Post
    Sorry Snow, there's no way to recommend wicks unless I know exactly what type/kind of wax you're using. If you're using remnants than there's no way of knowing what's in the wax so therefore it's all trial and error.

Thanks Linny! I've kept like waxes with like, and the one's I really want to have turn out well had a thicker, ropier waxed wick - is there anything like that you know of that I could pick up? Michaels only have these skinny terrible things and I'm not sure where else to look!

Thanks again!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Can anyone please provide me the name of shops where I can get some decorative candles.?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by robert12 View Post
    Can anyone please provide me the name of shops where I can get some decorative candles.?
    All sorts of stores sell them, but card stores (Hallmark, Carlton) are a sure bet. Otherwise, try gift stores. The dollar stores often have them as well.

Trading Score
    164 (100%)

I have been candle making for nine years and just found this post now . Glad my dear friend Linneyeg, who I have known for that entire time, responded already, but just to build on her post, candlemaking in the beginning, is definitely not a way to save money. In fact, it is a money pit. I must have 10k invested in equipment, molds and supplies. That being said, candlemaking like anything chemical, is a science. And as you know, science experiments can go badly, if you don't know what you are doing. You can learn, but it is a slow learning curve. You need to learn about waxes, their melting points, proper ways to melt wax, how to work with dyes, how to use fragrance oils, how to wick properly and if giving away or selling, how to label properly so your friends/customers know how to burn a candle properly so you aren't liable if they have a fire etc. So, just a word of caution, candle making is a great hobby, but definitely, like a fine wine, it gets better with age and experience!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    All sorts of stores sell them, but card stores (Hallmark, Carlton) are a sure bet. Otherwise, try gift stores. The dollar stores often have them as well.
    Thanks for providing me the names of wonderful shops. Do you have any idea regarding its opening hours or is it on www.istorehours.com?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

A good place to buy candles for cheep is at thrift stores...if you don't mind them being already burned. YOu can get nice large candles for a few dollars. check kijiji as well!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for suggesting me the shop to purchase nice candles. Any idea about thrift stores' opening hours?

Thread Information