User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking to move

KatJay
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi! I hope someone will read this and be helpful. My family is considering moving to Ontario and we would like to move south of London. I don't know anything about any of the towns and I was wondering if someone would be helpful enough to kinda give me some insight. We come from a really small town where everyone knows everyone and but still has it's shopping area's. I would like to find a nice town like this one here over in Ontario. It would need to be family friendly since I have two very young kids. Any advice or anything will be helpful.

Thank you
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I am new to the area as well, but my husband is from the area. St.Thomas is a nice town, but also Lambeth (which is now part of London, but still has Lambeth signs all over) Lambeth is in the south west corner of London, very family oriented ! And I see you're from Winnipeg, my family lives about 45 min south of Winnipeg!!!

Trading Score
    202 (100%)

Another few smaller towns that still have some shopping are Aylmer, Dorchester and Tillsonburg. If you want any info, give a shout. There are a few great smaller towns in the area as well, but no shopping.

Trading Score
    272 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha MacGregor View Post
    I am new to the area as well, but my husband is from the area. St.Thomas is a nice town, but also Lambeth (which is now part of London, but still has Lambeth signs all over) Lambeth is in the south west corner of London, very family oriented ! And I see you're from Winnipeg, my family lives about 45 min south of Winnipeg!!!
    I can second the nomination for St Thomas.. still fairly small as cities go with a population around 30,000, but with all the major shopping centres and conveniences. Nice that you can be from one end of the city to the next in less than 10min with traffic. Friendly, safe, small town feel. I never lock my car doors, or the house if I'm running to the store.. drives my BF crazy!

Lambeth is nice, but housing costs and taxes will definitely reflect London's influence. We have a saying here.. 25% more life in St Thomas.. (yes, tacky, but true!)

KatJay
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha MacGregor View Post
    Ya I am about 45 min from winnipeg too. lol St.Thomas seems like it would be a lot larger then what I am use to. But it is something I will look into. Schools are good in this area and aylmer and dorchester and tilsonburg. Both kids will be just starting school when we move so would want to make sure they would be in a good school.
    I have also heard traffic is nuts out there. is that true?

Trading Score
    202 (100%)

Traffic isn't terrible in any of these places, the worst maybe St. T, but it isn't bad at all. YOu can hit London without hitting large highways. Dorchester is great but plan on big bucks to buy. Aylmer has good priced property but high in taxes, but does include alot of services. Tburg is fairly good value plus taxes aren't terrible, plus they operate there own hydro and water, so that isn't out of this world either. St. T. probably is the best value for a home, and I'm not sure on taxes there, but the gals above said they are reasonable.
    If you are wondering about anything in the area, just leave us a note in here, we would all be happy to help ya out if we can.

Trading Score
    221 (100%)

If you are looking for good schools tillsonburg is not a place to go. I grew up there and in Ingersoll ( which i would not suggest either). And I moved out of tillsonburg just so i didn't have to send my kids to school there. Alot of bad things happen there. As far as raising children in Tillsonburg i would not suggesst it at all!!

St. Thomas is great just like the other ladies have said. Byron is also great. It is technically London but just on the outside. Small town feeling. All the stores you need. Metro, SDm and many more. and all the malls are very close but far enough away. Springbank park is right there so you have the best park in the city within walking distance.
    Depending what you are looking for Byron can be expensive but it's not to bad!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovestacking View Post
    Ya I am about 45 min from winnipeg too. lol St.Thomas seems like it would be a lot larger then what I am use to. But it is something I will look into. Schools are good in this area and aylmer and dorchester and tilsonburg. Both kids will be just starting school when we move so would want to make sure they would be in a good school.
    I have also heard traffic is nuts out there. is that true?

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Woodstock is alright as well. It is around the same size as St.Thomas and has Walmart and shoppers etc etc and is approx 30 min from London, you can pass by dorchester and ingersol on your way to London, and you can avoid the 401. Where abouts do you live in Manitoba?

KatJay
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I live in Steinbach Manitoba. Came in from the country and even now it is getting to big for my own liking. But love the fact that I can just bike to the grocery store and get what I need. Need good place for transportation since we only have one car.(here they don't have much option for public transit) So I know I am looking for alot but yet I am not use to paying high taxes and am hoping if we move out there to find a decent job and a great place to live.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I'm not a very adventurous driver and I can drive around St. Thomas--- I'm in London. I don't go very far from home in the city, though, but from St. Thomas you can get quite easily to the south end of London and many stores without too much hassle. I see your name is ilovestacking, you are going to miss your London Drugs, they aren't around here!

Trading Score
    272 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaF View Post
    I'm not a very adventurous driver and I can drive around St. Thomas--- I'm in London. I don't go very far from home in the city, though, but from St. Thomas you can get quite easily to the south end of London and many stores without too much hassle. I see your name is ilovestacking, you are going to miss your London Drugs, they aren't around here!
    Lol.. I just noticed that too... Was gonna say lots of pro's to St Thomas and area, but one big con, no STACKING!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

I am in Dorchester. If you want info.. just let me know. we are a very small town. great schools. interesting house prices. they have come down some.. but .. yea....

Trading Score
    202 (100%)

The smaller towns around here like where I am, have no piublic transit, and well, our grocery store is more like a dollar store, but someone is always going to Aylmer, where there is a really good No Frills, and Tillsonburg is the same distance away. Oh, and I have also heard the Tburg schools are not the greatest, but I have never been to them.

KatJay
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well not really worried about the stacking at london drugs cause ours out here is really hard to stack at and you really can't do it that often. So no big loss.
    I am in Dorchester. If you want info.. just let me know. we are a very small town. great schools. interesting house prices. they have come down some.. but .. yea....
    Does anyone know where the taxes are cheaper and the housing prices aren't to much?

Trading Score
    202 (100%)

I think St. T is about the best for lower priced homes and taxes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information