User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By peachbl00m
  • 1 Post By romm78

Thread: Laser Hair Removal - tipping etiquette???

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I recently bought a deal from dealticker for 3 laser hair removal sessions at a spa which the dealticker/spa claims is retailed at $1,225 which I paid like, $35 for. Is tipping done on the pre-discounted amount of $1,295 (as is written by Dealticker)? That's a whole lot of cash $184-245 in tips (15-20%)! Way more than I paid for, and the pre-discounted price seems inflated compared to other LHR deals I've seen (but the deal itself is great).

I wasn't aware I had to pay tips on the pre-discounted amount which wasn't indicated when I purchased it. Only after I bought it was it printed on the voucher. But I've heard that this is a standard phrase used on most deal sites.

I've done some searching on other etiquette sites, and have received many different answers, from no tip to $10 per session to 20% of the pre-discounted price. But since a lot of these comments are from other countries (i.e. in the US it's done by licensed RNs, so more like a medical treatment so no tip), I was wondering if any SCers who have had this procedure done can tell me what is the norm? And did you pay after each session or at the end?

Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    fillingyoung likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

My wife and I bought 3 laser deals all worth "$4000" or so they say. Its unlimited laser on 3 parts for a year. cost was just under $300.00 for each set ( we got 3 for about $900).

To be honest I never thought about tipping... I wonder now if they think I am a cheep person??? lol If we had to tip on the full value of $12 000 that would be over one thousand just in tip...yikes!
    Last edited by ederer; Wed, Aug 31st, 2011 at 09:35 AM.
    Check out my favorite Naturopathic Doctor with locations in Milton & Mississauga: http://www.ruthshuster.com

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I've purchased a few of the laser deals. I often wonder about the tip as well. I sometimes tip.. Not always. Depends if I was happy with the service. When I do, I leave $5.

At one of my sessions, the esthetician had a pile of loose cash sitting on the cabinet .. Seemed like they were tips from previous customers that day. Talk about looking tacky!

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

lucky you OP, i can't have lazer hair removal.....to many freckles....
    to be honest, i never thought of giving a tip to my esthetitian....

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Tipping is hard for me to swallow when I'm paying a LOT of cash for a procedure. Really, these people doing it should already have a decent wage, as there's supposed to be training, etc. If it is a lot more expensive than my usual hair treatment, then I don't tip...maybe I should?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i am a happy user of this product, i am taking laser hair removal from 5 months. Though its costly, its worth the pleasing result it gives. since when i started this treatment, i didn't have to worry or even think of using razors or go for other painful methods. Its really a great relief for me.
    Last edited by ryanandrew; Fri, Nov 30th, 2012 at 05:32 AM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I feel that a tip is never an expectation. Were you happy with the service? If you were and want to tip, then you should. I don't really understand the whole notion of an expected tip. If you tip then the person should be happy, that's it.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Tipping uncertainty makes me crazy. It seems like it's slowly expanded to cover every service imaginable. I never know if I'm supposed to tip for something or not and how much and it makes me anxious! I don't want to offend anyone or be a cheapo, I just don't know what I'm supposed to do.

Just keep it simple and charge what you think your service is worth! Or if people are "supposed" to tip at least have that stated somewhere so customers know what the norms/expectations are. If something is expected it's not really a "tip" anymore though, so again with the simple tip-free pricing schemes...sigh.
    ING Orange Key - 35355532S1
    Open a new ING Direct chequing or savings account (including TFSA) with an initial deposit of $100 or more by December 31, 2012 and use Orange Key 35355532S1 to earn yourself a free $50 bonus.
    http://www.ingdirect.ca/doublebonus/

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I did laser hair removal and didn't tip and I'm glad I didn't because the results weren't great for me, the technicians weren't thorough and I had to direct them where they should be using the laser. I bought 6 sessions and had to get an extra 2 or 3 in order to get better results and im still not satisfied because they are growing back and some areas have had no change. They used the Palomar machine and i heard that the Soprano XL is the best as it is pain free and they featured it being used on the doctors however, no friggen laser hair removal clinic has it they all have the cheap, old and rundown machines. I am a perfect candidate for lase hair removal as i have very fair skin and dark hair yet Palomar barely did anything for me. TO ADD when I went in for a session once I had a different laser technician who ended criticizing the way certain features of my body look like, that is RUDE! TIP AT YOUR DISCRETION AND SATISFACTION WITH SERVICE AND RESULTS!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I really don't think you have to tip them for something like this, esp when you pay so much for the service itself. I understand you tip hairdresses etc but would you tip the person giving you botox? Fine line. No pun intended.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Blu3skies View Post
    I did laser hair removal and didn't tip and I'm glad I didn't because the results weren't great for me, the technicians weren't thorough and I had to direct them where they should be using the laser. I bought 6 sessions and had to get an extra 2 or 3 in order to get better results and im still not satisfied because they are growing back and some areas have had no change. They used the Palomar machine and i heard that the Soprano XL is the best as it is pain free and they featured it being used on the doctors however, no friggen laser hair removal clinic has it they all have the cheap, old and rundown machines. I am a perfect candidate for lase hair removal as i have very fair skin and dark hair yet Palomar barely did anything for me. TO ADD when I went in for a session once I had a different laser technician who ended criticizing the way certain features of my body look like, that is RUDE! TIP AT YOUR DISCRETION AND SATISFACTION WITH SERVICE AND RESULTS!

when I purchased the laser removal from the group buy, the salon I went to used Soprano XL. Had the machine used on my legs, and yes - completely pain free! Odd, i actually heard good things about Palomar! But I guess different machines work better for different people. Check out Hair Tell ... a forum just for discussing hair removal!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by peachbl00m View Post
    I recently bought a deal from dealticker for 3 laser hair removal sessions at a spa which the dealticker/spa claims is retailed at $1,225 which I paid like, $35 for. Is tipping done on the pre-discounted amount of $1,295 (as is written by Dealticker)? That's a whole lot of cash $184-245 in tips (15-20%)! Way more than I paid for, and the pre-discounted price seems inflated compared to other LHR deals I've seen (but the deal itself is great).

I wasn't aware I had to pay tips on the pre-discounted amount which wasn't indicated when I purchased it. Only after I bought it was it printed on the voucher. But I've heard that this is a standard phrase used on most deal sites.

I've done some searching on other etiquette sites, and have received many different answers, from no tip to $10 per session to 20% of the pre-discounted price. But since a lot of these comments are from other countries (i.e. in the US it's done by licensed RNs, so more like a medical treatment so no tip), I was wondering if any SCers who have had this procedure done can tell me what is the norm? And did you pay after each session or at the end?

Thanks!

Hi.... First tell me in which Country you are taking about and the rates of laser hair removal depend upon the area and also vary from country to country. As I know the rates in Asia are very genuine specially Laser Hair Removal in India are very cheap prices but result well. The facial hair removal cost would be around 400-500 $ ...
    Last edited by romm78; Wed, Aug 12th, 2015 at 08:19 AM. Reason: missing
    KDivers likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

usually between $10-$25 in cash

Thread Information