User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    81 (100%)

I'm still hoping on the first, he was perfect. Bad timing for a long weekend. :/

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by aoffman View Post
    Does anyone know roughly how much it costs to get a male cat fixed? I'm not sure if the kitty I was originally looking at is still available (no response to my email today about him ) so I may widen my search and look at younger/unfixed cats.
    To aoffman....So sorry that things didnt work out with the kitty you had planned! I know how disappointing that must be. Have you ever considered adopting a rescue kitty?? I am part of a group on facebook for lost and found cats in HRM, which has a page for kitties needing homes. Alot of people in the group, have rescued abandoned or abused cats, and they have received full medical care ( needles, spaying, etc)..a.nd are in foster homes..waiting for a loving home. Maybe you should consider it..I just took in an abandoned cat...and oh boy...is he lovable! I think they are so happy to find a home again..that they become very affectionate. Anyway, just thought I would pass the info along. If you want to check out the group, here is the link...http://www.facebook.com/groups/adoptionsandfostering/

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by alicia View Post
    I have a huge soft spot for orange cats
    Me too!! I just took in an abandoned male kitty that showed up at my door...he is soooooo beautiful! Light orange, long haired...omg..she is so, so sweet!! Beautiful inside and out! So very lovable..and such a good kitty!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
    Me too!! I just took in an abandoned male kitty that showed up at my door...he is soooooo beautiful! Light orange, long haired...omg..she is so, so sweet!! Beautiful inside and out! So very lovable..and such a good kitty!
    oops...I mean HE is so, so sweet!! lol

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That is my Minnie to a tee. She is 6 years old and she rules the roost and has the same sort of personality as your Sassy (where one day she wants cuddles and other times you risk your hand) She sometimes even hops in the shower with us so yep she loves water. And the noises she makes...oh my gosh they are hilarious. Must be in the breed or something
    Ha ha....They sound so much alike! Sassy loves the bathroom! Its her favourite room in the house...because of all the water! She runs to get in the bathroom ahead of me. I try to keep the door closed ( to keep out cat hair)...but she runs and jumps in the bathtub, waiting for the faucet to be turned on...and she wants her waterbowl filled to the top, ALL the time..if the water gets too low...she cries to have it topped up! lol...then she takes her big paws and pushes the bowl around the floor and watches the water splash all over the floor! She is very entertaining! ha ha....And yes...she makes alot of different sounds...she is very vocal...much more than my other 3 cats...and she is very smart. She is very aware of things going on..and likes for me to talk to her all the time. When the kids leave for school, every day I have to to talk to her, telling her where they are gone..( I know, people must think im nuts...) But she stares at me as soon as everyones out the door...and she wont take her eyes off me until I talk to her..then when im done talking, she will go on her merry way! lol...My son thinks she is the weirdest cat...but I think she is awesome! ha ha

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    81 (100%)

Thanks Mamacat. I looked at the spca and some of the other rescue groups, but TBH I don't really feel like filling out a bunch of forums, supplying references etc. To me that seems like a lot of hoops to jump through to give a home to an abandoned animal. Plus, the fees to adopt (at least at the SPCA) are beyond my financial means. My cat is very well fed, has clean litter etc all thanks to couponing...there aren't any coupons for spaying/neutering, alas. I will take a look at your group though, thanks for the tip

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks Mamacat. I looked at the spca and some of the other rescue groups, but TBH I don't really feel like filling out a bunch of forums, supplying references etc. To me that seems like a lot of hoops to jump through to give a home to an abandoned animal. Plus, the fees to adopt (at least at the SPCA) are beyond my financial means. My cat is very well fed, has clean litter etc all thanks to couponing...there aren't any coupons for spaying/neutering, alas. I will take a look at your group though, thanks for the tip
    With our group, its all volunteers...and no forms to fill out!! Several kitties have found homes since I joined the group.. Just post a message in the group, saying that you are interested in adopting..and someone will let you know of people who have cats in foster care..and can hook you up that way. whatever choice you make...I wish you all the best! Im a BIG Cat lover...so I always love it when kitty finds a home!

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

Have you tried Homeward Bound, the pound in Dartmouth? They have kitty's available I believe. Might not be kittens, but they are fixed and have vaccinations.

We are actually looking for a puppy right now and aren't even considering the SPCA because of all the paperwork and stuff you have to go through, plus it's only an "application", doesn't mean you would actually be getting the pet you're interested in. We found some puppies on kijiji that we are going to take a look at this morning, plus our vet gives a little bit of a military discount when we take our pets there, so it's a little bit of a bonus for us.

Good luck on your kitty search!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    81 (100%)

So I really need to rant...
    The lady @ the office where the kitty was never called me back. I left several emails and tried calling (the # she gave me didn't work). I'm bummed out about the cat, but I'm really irritated and somewhat pissed that she didn't respond to any of my emails since meeting the cat. Would a simple "things have changed" or "we're giving him to someone else" have been too hard?? I could have been looking for another kitten instead of holding out over the long weekend for this one. GRRRR. I guess common courtesy isn't so common...

So I'm back to square 1 on the kitten search :/

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

The lady @ the office where the kitty was never called me back. I left several emails and tried calling (the # she gave me didn't work). I'm bummed out about the cat, but I'm really irritated and somewhat pissed that she didn't respond to any of my emails since meeting the cat. Would a simple "things have changed" or "we're giving him to someone else" have been too hard?? I could have been looking for another kitten instead of holding out over the long weekend for this one. GRRRR. I guess common courtesy isn't so common...

Awww, i'm sorry you weren't able to get the kitten you wanted!

Have you looked on kijiji, there are soooo many kittens on there it's not even funny... I know some people might say "look at rescue ones first", but these little guys might end up at a rescue shelter, or worse (I don't even want to think about it)....

Good luck, and keep us updated on your kitty search!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    81 (100%)

I've been combing Kijiji, I guess I'm just being too particular. I'm trying to find one that is already neutered. I'm in no rush though, if I don't find one there by the end of the month I guess I will try a shelter.

Any luck on finding a pup?

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

I have a huge soft spot for orange cats

I as well.....I had my big (18lb) boy for 18 years....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    235 (100%)

Good luck on your search...lots of cats available, and it is good that you aren't in a rush..

I had 6 cats, mom, dad and 4 kittens...just too cute to give away! When we had them spayed/neutered, we were astonished with the cost!

2 males and 1 female...$300 each!!!! total of $900...

For the next three...found new vet....3 males...$30 each...$90 total
    That vet has since retired..

If the vets would just lower their prices, there wouldn't be so many strays around....how many people can afford that kind of money!!!

In some places, there are programs where strays are trapped, spayed/neutered for nothing and released...In other places, vets offer $20 neutering/$50 spaying specials a couple of times a year...Either of these programs would certainly help cat population issues! IMO

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

That's so annoying, especially since you seemed to be getting attached to him. Personally I find it appalling how most people treat cats specifically (it's not so bad with dogs I find) where they believe they are disposable. Like, the ads on kijiji that say they cannot take their cats with them although they love them so much... if they're part of the family you'd look for housing that allows cats. Anyway, that's my rant about pet owners.

If you are looking for a kitten that is already spayed/neutered, try the vet offices. I know the Fairview Vet has kittens every once and awhile and they're generally already fixed - they come with an adoption fee of about $200 or $250 but they have all their shots, etc. Also the Clayton Park Vet has kittens occasionally too. One more thing - I have a friend who got two girl kittens about a year ago, and she took them out in the country to get them spayed and it was $300 for both of them rather than $600+ in the city. If you do get a kitten that isn't fixed, consider a little road trip because vet costs are cheaper in more rural areas I've been told.

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

I've been combing Kijiji, I guess I'm just being too particular. I'm trying to find one that is already neutered. I'm in no rush though, if I don't find one there by the end of the month I guess I will try a shelter.

Any luck on finding a pup?
    We did find a puppy! She's a cute little 3lb Shih-tzu...we found her on kijiji, has all her shots, dewormed and even come almost house-trained (except a few accidents when she was really excited to see us, lol)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information