User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What items are a good deal at Costco?

Trading Score
    117 (100%)

Thank you for making this thread, me and my family were thinking of all chipping in and buying a membership because of the quality of meats and veggies!

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Both my mom and I have memberships and go there every few months to pick up things.

Their meat is very high quality, so we buy it when we're entertaining for holidays or something like that. Their produce is good too depending on what you're looking for and if they carry it. We're also a big fan of their desserts, so again we make a trip to Costco if we're entertaining. As far as other groceries go, since they carry everything in bulk and it's only DH and I we only buy things with a longer shelf life (granola bars, cereal etc.).

We buy our dog's food there. The Kirkland brand is what the breeder fed her as a puppy, so I figure if the breeder thinks it's good enough I'm game, plus our dog takes to it rather well with no digestive issues. It costs around $25 for a huge bag that we empty into an air-tight pail after opening the bag and it lasts our 16 pound dog about 4 months each time.

We also love the clothes at Costco, I've bought a lot of lounge wear (yoga pants, tank tops), socks, shirts, jackets and other items for myself and DH and we love them. Sometimes it's hard to find sizes though since people pick through the piles pretty quickly.

We made a huge trip to Costco when we bought our first house. Magazine holder/stand, carbon monoxide detectors, garbage bags, toilet paper, paper towels, bath towels, bed sheets, I always recommend shopping there when you're outfitting a house. They also have books at good prices (but only recent releases and best sellers), some nice baby items, as well as awesome gift ideas and decorations for Christmas (we make sure we go a few times during the holiday season).

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

How does it work for buying a membership between people? I thought it had to be in one person's name. Do you put it in one person's name and then all shop from it? The last time we visited our son we renewed his membership with our mastercard. We walked around the store and I told him to pick up some stuff for himself (we flew in so we wouldn't be able to take anything back with us) and I would gladly pay for it for him. Before we got to the checkout I gave him my mastercard to use but the cashier wouldn't let him pay with it be cause the first name on the account and the first name on the credit card didn't match (even though the first name on the card is also his second name!). My son had to pay for it himself via debit card and then we went to an atm to put the money back into his account!

They sure didn't taking my mastercard to renew his membership though!!! grrrrr
    Last edited by kelsie94; Sat, Sep 10th, 2011 at 07:48 PM.
    Check out my Trade/Wish List here:
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/273700-...-lists-canada/

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kelsie94 View Post
    How does it work for buying a membership between people? I thought it had to be in one person's name. Do you put it in one person's name and then all shop from it?
    Costco only takes American Express. For a membership the people have to be living in the same house. I'm sure there are ways around this. I have my own card as does my husband. The person who's name is on the Costco card must use their credit card not a guest.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

How does it work for buying a membership between people?

In our case my mom has the membership but I go with her. She puts everything through on her debit card and then we work out what I owe her and I pay her back. Makes things a bit more difficult because I can't just get up and go when I want to, but it seems to work for us for now.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

When my mom and I go to Costco we always get :

Stanfields underwear for my step dad
    Cinnaroll cinnamon buns
    clover leaf crab flavoured pollock (4 of the plastic containers for $10, amazing deal!)
    Jimmy deans breakfast croissants for my dad
    I get all my vitamins and supplements there. They're 1/5 the price of supervalu for some of them
    In the fall I get the pumpkin spice bread mix, I just love it!
    We always get the vingear, worchestershire sauce, toilet paper, paper towel, lysol bathroom cleaner, cranberry almond thin crackers, canned pineapple and the 12 packs of dentyne gum.

It's rare if we leave without a $400 bill.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AmberLab View Post
    Q-tips! I don't know if their prices have changed, but a year ago I bought their 3-pk and compared it was much more cost efficient than a 1-pk.

I also love their x-large muffins.
    The Costco near me doesn't have the big muffins anymore... Only a 6 or 12 pack of regular sized muffins.... No more mixed trays either I looked forward to my mom coming home from Price Club back then with fresh muffins!

Quote Originally Posted by IRefuseToPayFullPrice View Post
    The yucky raw smell and whatever other yucky stuff is on it . Just try it and you'll know exactly what I mean....
    Quote Originally Posted by sandra_p400 View Post
    lemon juice as well as VINEGAR eliminates bacteria from ppl who handle the meat..

so if a butcher snease's ur covered.
    Okay really makes sense can you PM me how to wash meats? I am newer to cooking actual food that didn't come in a microwave tray! LoL. Thanks!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Denna b View Post
    Costco only takes American Express. For a membership the people have to be living in the same house. I'm sure there are ways around this. I have my own card as does my husband. The person who's name is on the Costco card must use their credit card not a guest.
    Yes, it was American Express. Hard keeping track which stores take what card - drives my husband insane when he's paying for stuff LOL! We have both the American Express Air Miles and the Mastercard Air Miles cards. In any case Costco sure didn't mind taking my card to pay for my son's membership!

Do you pay for two memberships, or can people in the same house have their own cards but one membership between them?
    Last edited by kelsie94; Mon, Sep 12th, 2011 at 08:11 AM.
    Check out my Trade/Wish List here:
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/273700-...-lists-canada/

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Do you pay for two memberships, or can people in the same house have their own cards but one membership between them?
    You pay for one membership per household which can include a "spouse" card.

I am considered my BFF spouse. Same house they don't ask for marriage licenses or anything! Hope this helps.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

we got a free wii and xbox 360 and play station portleble (psp)
    and saved 267$ on shopping

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

In the Halifax location today, I found giant watermelons (and I mean huge!) for $3.99, a three pack of yogurt tubes for $5.xx. The pineapples were $3.49 regular price, and a three kg bottle of honey was about $14 on sale. Also, a 48 ounce can of coffee was under $9, which makes it a better deal than Walmart's anniversary sale.
    Last edited by Zonny; Sat, Sep 17th, 2011 at 03:15 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My husband and I had the somewhat same experience yesterday. Hubby had to use the restroom. So I loaded the groceries, gave the cashier my membership card. The debit card is in his name they wouldn't allow us to pay that way it had to be the same name as the membership card. How is that any different if I were to pay in cash? Does not make sense at all.
    Last edited by roxey217; Sun, Sep 18th, 2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: trying to reply to someone's post

Trading Score
    123 (99%)

i love the food court, got 5 hot dogs/ drinks, 2 fries all for $13 and still had left overs

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

How does it work for buying a membership between people? I thought it had to be in one person's name. Do you put it in one person's name and then all shop from it? The last time we visited our son we renewed his membership with our mastercard. We walked around the store and I told him to pick up some stuff for himself (we flew in so we wouldn't be able to take anything back with us) and I would gladly pay for it for him. Before we got to the checkout I gave him my mastercard to use but the cashier wouldn't let him pay with it be cause the first name on the account and the first name on the credit card didn't match (even though the first name on the card is also his second name!). My son had to pay for it himself via debit card and then we went to an atm to put the money back into his account!

My husband and I had the somewhat same experience yesterday. Hubby had to use the restroom. So I loaded the groceries, gave the cashier my membership card. The debit card is in his name they wouldn't allow us to pay that way it had to be the same name as the membership card. How is that any different if I were to pay in cash? Does not make sense at all.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Why did they have your debit card in their hand? My Costco just tells me to swipe it myself.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information