User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What items are a good deal at Costco?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Expired on: Sat, Sep 8th, 2012
    We're all smart shoppers here, and unlike many others, we know that not everything at Costco is a deal just because it's in a big package!

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on what items we regularly go to Costco for, because they're cheaper than anyplace else. I'm not talking about sale prices, I'm talking about regular price at Costco compared to regular price at other stores.

Here's a couple items I bought today:

Billy Bee Honey - 1 kg - $6.69 (Sobeys price was $10.49)
    Babybel cheese - package of 22 for $10.99
    Sun Maid raisins, 2x 1 kg bags - $7.69
    Sunsweet pitted prunes, 1.42 kg, $5.99 (I'm pretty sure Sobeys charges that much for less than half this amount - and before you ask, I have a 75 year old mother who lives with us, THAT'S why I buy these! )
    Propane - I can generally fill my standard propane tank for under $12.

Anyone have other items to add?
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco, Shoppers Drug Mart, Sobeys
    Last edited by Zonny; Tue, Sep 6th, 2011 at 01:44 PM.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You can usually find a good deal on fruit - last week we got a huge pack of raspberries for $2.99 - earlier that week, I bought a pack 1/3 of the size from No Frills for $2.47. (Expensive, but what can I say - I wanted raspberries).

We stock up on Advil Liqui-Gels as well (the 180 count) when they're on sale (usually once every one or two months - from regular $22.xx to $18.xx). It's the only thing besides Zomig that relieves the chronic migraines my mom suffers from.

I'm fond of the mix and match pizzas as well - good quality, and two for I think it's $10.99 (maybe 11.99 - not sure). Yes, frozen (McCain and Delissio) can be found for less but I like the quality of these pizzas.

They have some great assortments for Christmas (chocolates, etc) and Halloween as well.

Cheeses are usually a good price for the large sizes they carry (especially when on sale). We usually grab the cheese strings, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and laughing cow wedges as well. (Again, can't quote the price, but a good value for how much you get).

I am partial though - I love Costco. The only bad thing about it is when I find a product I love, they usually stop carrying it a few weeks later.
    Last edited by Aimz; Tue, Sep 6th, 2011 at 12:43 PM.
    Anna Michele likes this.

[*A I M Z*]

Trading Score
    150 (100%)

Most of the things I buy at costco I only purchase there because they are items we seldom if ever get coupons for, I love the ginormous boxes of creals they sell, and often they are brands we don't see in most grocery stores (cookie crisp cereal is one of my kids favorites)
    The big bottles of spices are excellent too, much better quality then those you find at cheaper outlets like dollarama.

Honestly, this is my first year with costco, it was an executive membership gift from the father in law. I don't know if we will buy our own next year or not, we don't shop there often enough to make it worth the money IMO.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    82 (100%)

My husband is a chef and this is the only place we buy frozen chicken from. He guages it based on how much water they plump the chicken up with or something like that. So a 4KG box is 29.99 not on sale. If you are just comparing prices, this will not be the best price, but when you cook the other chicken breasts they will just shrink and you will get less (ok, this is the lecture I always get LOL).
    We also buy the large bags of fresh bacon bits for 8.99. Deliscious
    Anna Michele likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

flour $6.99-$7.99 10kg, regular $11.99 an up in other stores
    sour cream $3.99 1l, regular between $5.00 and $7.00 in other stores

Sometimes I also buy philadelphia cream cheese because I can't find any coupons for it 800g for around $6-$7 and feta cheese 3kg for around $23.00. Cooking oil is sometimes cheaper too if you don't have any coupons to use at reg. stores
    Anna Michele likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

This is great, just as I hoped, I'm learning about what to look for next! I'm fairly new to Costco and hem and haw about whether it's worthwhile to pay to shop there.

I've never looked much in the dairy section for the sour cream and such, guess I'll be checking that stuff out next!

Quote Originally Posted by myintuition View Post
    My husband is a chef and this is the only place we buy frozen chicken from. He guages it based on how much water they plump the chicken up with or something like that. So a 4KG box is 29.99 not on sale. If you are just comparing prices, this will not be the best price, but when you cook the other chicken breasts they will just shrink and you will get less (ok, this is the lecture I always get LOL).
    We also buy the large bags of fresh bacon bits for 8.99. Deliscious
    I agree on the meat. If I want to buy steak, Costco is where I go for sirloin grillling steak. While Sobeys or Superstore may have cheaper steak, Costco's is 10 times better. IMO, the quality of the meats at Costco makes it worthwhile to purchase it there for a few dollars more.
    Last edited by Zonny; Tue, Sep 6th, 2011 at 01:02 PM.
    Anna Michele likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In NL - Costco has the best prices on Gas, Fruit, Cheese, Yops, Deli Meat, Dried Fruit, and Gluten Free items such as Larabars.

As mentioned, the quality can't be beat!

I've also picked up lots of socks and clothes for the kids - snow suits are a deal that can't be beat!

I also love costco so I too may be biased!
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

costco is a great place for many things. I always make sure I get Sriracha sauce from there because if I remember correctly its $4 for 2 bottles where at places like T&T one bottle is $3. Also, getting large quantities of vitamins, ibuprofen and acetaminophen are usually decently priced. Sorry I can't remember the prices for that. One thing I was disappointed was that their roast chicken went up from $6.99 to $7.50 recently. I still think their chicken is good and cheaper than Safeway or RCSS.
    Anna Michele likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

We always buy the following things at costco:
    Beef tenderloin steak (not sure if its cheaper but the quality is great!)
    Pure vanilla extract $5.99 for 473ml
    Olive oil $8.99 for 2L
    Protein bars
    Protein powder
    Free run brown eggs 18 for $3.89 I think?

Never even thought of getting propane there, thanks for the tip!

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

I've been a Costco member since 20 years.

I started couponing in jan 2011 and I was wondering since 2 months if I would continue my membership?

It's right across the street where I live but I don't go anymore since 6 months dûe to you guys from Smartcanucks who make my life soooo easier (and cheaper)... LOOOL

But, since Christmas is coming, I'll probably shop for my gifts there as usual.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    211 (100%)

I always get veggies like carrots, broccoli, onions, bananas, apples, snap peas. The prices work out to better per pound than the market.

I also like to get frozen fruit, Tribe Hummus (although last time I went I didn't see it) Frozen Burgers, Deli meat, flour, Half and Half Cream, garbage bags, big jar of minced garlic, Mara Nata Almond Butter. Black olives also, the six pack works out to be less than a $1.25 per can usually.
    Last edited by BuggaBugga; Wed, Sep 7th, 2011 at 02:29 AM.
    Amazon and Starbucks GiftCards for Searching the net? Yes I did and so can you!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/canadianbugga

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I get Swarovski crystal and cottage cheese. The following I buy only when on coupon:
    Protein powder, calcium, vitamins, smokies, swiffer refills, soup and clothes. Many more things but i'm brain dead right now. Their meat is the best and at great prices. Their produce is the great tasting can be somewhat more expensive but the taste is worth it.
    Their return policy can't be beat. I've even taken back taquito's that tasted horrible. No problem. I've been told by an employee that if something is oit of warranty by a few months they will take it back no problem.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We buy ALL of our meat there. The best deals by far are the pork loin for $4.99/kg and the ground beef for around $5.99/kg (some grocery stores charge over $6/lb)! Chicken wings are also much cheaper. The quality is fantastic and I can keep my freezer stocked. I also buy the Aylmer canned tomatoes and tomato paste when they are on sale, which happens regularly. Don't forget tomato soup!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

San Marzano canned tomatoes are only a little more than $1 a can at our Costco - these tomatoes are the best canned tomatoes and you pay $3 or more for a can at the supermarket!
    Tweetybird999 likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    26 (100%)

The meat is comparable in price, but tastes WAAAAY better from costco. I figure you cant look at cost compared to value when it comes to meat

I buy the Kirkland brand Robaxecets (sp?) there. The 100 count bottle is $4.99, and the brand name bottle is $29.99!!!! I also purchase pistachios there, because they taste so darn good hahaha. Oh, and the maternity vitamins are exactly the same as Materna (I compared labels) but half the price!

I find very little to be cheaper there, if you watch for sales and use coupons at other stores. I always get on my family members to stop buying diapers there, because they are a horrible price compared to sales at walmart, combined with a coupon!

Also, I love to use my CC on purchases, get the points, then pay off the balance when I get home with cash. I hate that costco doesnt let you use visa/MC.

And liquor is much cheaper there (here in Alberta). And you dont even need a costco card.

The best way to beat the system at Costco is to buy a card with a sibling (spouse card). If you are like me, and only buy meat from there, its much cheaper to only pay $30/year (split with another family) than $60. I know its breaking the rules, but considering the prices are not much better, for us it is the way to go!
    Last edited by cheryl888; Tue, Sep 6th, 2011 at 01:51 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information