User Tag List

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    302 (100%)

I really dislike Rexall for so many reasons.

Tonight I went there to pick up some G.U.M. toothbrushes on sale for .99 cents with the Rexall Coupon. While there I checked the clearance shelf, like I always do, and they had Pantene Hairspray on clearance for $1.57. They only had 2 cans so I grabbed both and headed to the checkout with 6 toothbrushes.

First the cashier tells me I can't use the Pantene coupons because the item was on clearance to which I said that shouldn't make any difference since it's a manufacturers coupon and the store gets that money back. Then she said well you can only use one coupon because it says "one coupon per purchase" at that point I decided not to argue with her so I said I would take only one hairspray. Then she rings in the toothbrushes and takes off the store coupon, great, but then when I gave her the .75 cents off G.U.M. coupons she says I can't use the manufacturers coupon and the store coupon. She then calls a supervisor who says that I can use eithe the store coupon or the manufacturers coupon but not both. Meanwhile there's a huge line up behind me so I say to just cancel the order and I'll take just the one hairspray.

I even told them that the other Rexall just 2 KM's away will let you use the manufacturers coupon as well and that I would just go there instead.

I then decided to just PM the price at Walmart but when I got there they were totally cleared out of the G.U.M toothbrushes so I couldn't PM it.

This is the same location that won't let you use a coupon if it's even one cent over the price of the item.

I'll probably go to the other Rexall tomorrow but from now on I'm boycotting the Rexall closest to my house.
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaplus, Rexall PharmaPlus, Walmart
    RLF Honey Bunches of Oats $1.00

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Same thing happened to me. But then I have other times that it was no issue at all. I think it is really hit and miss....I would try to go on a completely different day and time and you might find better results.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Our Rexall just rarely has the stock on sale, at any point during the week.
    It sucks, because it used to be a great place to shop - for more than just on sale and couponing items, too!
    I just don't go anymore...

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The problem with Rexall is that they have no official coupon policy. So it's up to the manager of the store how they want to handle coupons. I am lucky that I live a few blocks from one and can take advantage of occasional deals quite easily. After a few times having problems with the cashiers because they didn't know how to handle a certain coupon transaction or said I couldn't do something(and how could they really know when their employer has no chain wide coupon policy?) I told the manager that I am a local person that prefers to shop in my own community and even pay more (and that's the honest truth) but that they would have to lighten up a little on the super strict and sometimes nonsensical couponing rules or I would just have to buy many things somewhere else for much much cheaper. I am a community minded person but I will only go so far with my hard earned money. Because of this, and because the regular cashiers know me by name now and have been instructed to only contact him if something is really out of whack with what I am trying to do with coupons, I know I get a lot more leeway than some other customers might get. I should point out that I was as nice as could be through all the initial hassles, certainly didn't vent about my experience online (how could that possibly solve the problem?) I talked to the manager (who is actually the owner) nicely and as a Rexall store, I know there is no coupon policy other than what he decides as an individual.
    Not that it's a big deal overall as I don't get a lot of deals there. There are occasional fantastic deals in the bargain bin, and some really good deals occasionally with coupons and sale items, but without the 'special customer' deals I can sometimes get with coupons, I'd likely never go there except for the half price vitamins which are always (always) available before I ever run out of the last one's I bought.
    So my point here is that because they have no chain wide coupon policy (which is a little ridiculous IMO), the store manager or owner decides the policy and he tells the cashiers and they tell you. So it might not be the case that they are just stupid or don't know what is going on, it's likely they are just doing what their boss told them....a good idea with any job. So it might be in your best interest to explain to the manager or owner what you think the coupon policy should be and maybe they will consider it, or maybe they will just consider it for you, as a loyal customer, but not others. But don't vent at them because the cashier won't let you do something, be nice. Really nice. And people usually act quite nicely back when you do that. If a person is incensed enough to vent online, they were probably incensed at the time the hassle happened. That is only an assumption in this case, my sincere apologies if that is not the way it was. But if it was that way, then next time calm down, relax, and be nice. And if it's Rexall, then talk to (and be nice) to the manger or owner because they are the ones calling the shots with couponing in their store.
    Yes, it's a real screwy system for couponing at Rexall franchised stores, but now that you know why, I hope that helps you work through it at the one you usually choose to shop at.
    The manger at my store did not understand the logic of the manufacturer giving him the money back for any coupon I used so it shouldn't matter what coupons I use, or how many, or if it is in conjunction with any other specially reduced item. That's understandable because as the owner or manager, there are far bigger issues he has to spend time with and there are only so many hours in the day. But it only took me a few minutes to get my point across to him. Very nicely of course, because that is the only way to get someone to treat you nicely back. Not saying the OP wasn't nice through the ordeal but if you weren't, well nothing good can come from that. Or you weren't talking to the right person, the one who says what goes with coupons in their store.
    I hope my explanation of how things work with couponing at Rexall helps you in some way and I apologize if any of my assumptions about this particular hassle are unfounded. Just trying to help you out by giving you an understanding of how the 'system' works in regards to the Rexall franchise.

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

I find that your 'luck' depends on the cashier you get.. if they do the 1 per transaction thing I just say thats fine, I don't mind doing 4 transactions ... I can't help the people in line behind me.. when its their turn they can pay with coupons or cash.. when I get to the cash its my turn..
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

Anthony I don't know the size of the town you live in.. but store owners in this city wouldnt take the time to come talk to you about coupons. It wouldnt' make good sense from a business point of view. Where we are, you can be as nice as you want.. some of the staff think they know the policies and they can be downright rude and obnoxious.

The art of customer service has been lost.

As for the venting online.. I do it sometimes but I am very quiet and respectful in the stores. I used to train drs & their staff how to provide better care , I know the value of customer service and heck even the value of pretending to care, even if you don't.. Unfortunately many of those workers really don't care, they resent the use of price matching and coupons and they show it.
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Thread Information