User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Why is Jif pb no longer sold in Canada?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I can't find Jif anywhere. It is the only one that has actual peanut oil as a major ingredient...all the others (except for all-natural) take out the peanut oil and replace it with soy bean oil and hydrogenated vegetable oil. I guess it is more profitable to sell the oil and replace it with a cheaper substitute.

I buy the all-natural for my husband, but I prefer the consistency of Jif. Has anyone seen it around?
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Couldn't really find out the why... other than there wasn't a big market for it.
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/748952

Thought this was cute

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Jif was my absolute-favourite peanut butter. It had such a beautiful colour and texture and delicious taste, I always bought it instead of any other brand. I trusted it, and it never failed to satisfy my taste-buds. When my store stopped selling it, I had to buy those other brands, and compared to Jif, they are a real let-down. Now I never know if my peanut butter will be off-tasting or oily or gritty.

BRING BACK JIF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ( Valiant, the valley-ant )

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    I can't find Jif anywhere. It is the only one that has actual peanut oil as a major ingredient...all the others (except for all-natural) take out the peanut oil and replace it with soy bean oil and hydrogenated vegetable oil. I guess it is more profitable to sell the oil and replace it with a cheaper substitute.

I buy the all-natural for my husband, but I prefer the consistency of Jif. Has anyone seen it around?
    Good question. Jif is made by Pillsbury. Pillsbury is owned by Smuckers. Smuckers decides what brands are doing well in each country. Maybe with the U.S. recession, they decided to move Jif back to the U.S.

Here's the whole load of companies involved in Smuckers:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_J.M._Smucker_Co.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for the replies. When I first started buying Jif, the first ingredient was peanuts, the next was peanut oil...they progressively decreased the amount of peanut oil, but it was still a lot more than other companies. I broke down and bought a couple of Kraft jars today at Safeway...bogo, so 2/$5. I'd gladly pay more for the Jif. I'll have to look next time I'm in the States and bring some back if available...

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

OH, I haven't seen it in a while either. I buy the organic all natural peanut butter and it is pretty good, a lot more, but doesn't have any of that hydrogenated stuff in it.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Desk Lady
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Honestly, the easiest way to find out is to directly contact Jif, I do this all the time when I have a hard time finding stuff.

I saw they have a "contact us" on there website.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

hmm weird... my work bought a 5 gallon bucket of jiff this summer! so it must be somewhere in canada
    punctuation dictates tone of voice and Smiles help it along!! just saying

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by crazyerin View Post
    hmm weird... my work bought a 5 gallon bucket of jiff this summer! so it must be somewhere in canada
    Do you think they would deliver to Saskatoon?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

Kraft has a great 'natural' peanut butter - look for the oil on the top - only ingredient: peanuts!... so does Loblaws/Superstore - their brand: Just Peanuts (and of course purchasing at health food stores or make your own)...
    I'm sure Jif was yummy... but... even if it wasn't hydrogenated, I'm confident it still had sugar and salt (which the two above do not)... oh so yummy... but your taste buds can adjust!
    I know it doesn't make you miss Jif any less... but heart healthy!
    Couldn't resist posting... my OCD dietitian coming out
    muggos0101 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I have seen it around maybe in Walmart in Winnipeg. Cant really remember where. My DH didn't like it. I do. I usually buy Kraft PB
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

here wasn't a big market for it?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post

I saw a bunch of Jif peanut butter jars at the Red Deer Zellers today.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i find the kraft light has alot more peanut flavor and is less oily then the kraft regular..
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I did not find Jiff today, but I saw Mrs. Butterworth syrup in a Durham region Walmart. So there is hope for Jiff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information