User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DS Lite or DSi?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would like to purchase a DSi or DS Lite for my daughters who are 4 and 6 years old. Which one would you recommend?

Also, where can I find a good deal on these as I have to purchase 2!

Thanks in advance!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Zellers has a sale on right now to save $30.00 off. MY son used his bday money and bought a dsi xl last night. I would recommend the dsi or dsi xl as all my kids have had the dsi lite...we are now at the point where we are replacing after several years and when we compare the two ds lite to dsi they all like the dsi more (1 girl and 2 boys). They love the camera and all the fun things you can do with the pics. They don't use it to go on the internet. MY two boys when they replaced their original ds lites both got the xl version and love the larger screen (aged 7 and 9). I know last year before christmas zellers had them on to save $50 but $30 is definately a good deal for now. (note: i mentioned we were replacing our originals not to poor manufacturing but beyond normal wear and tear)

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'd also say go for the dsi xl. The kids love the bigger screen.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I have both the Lite and the DSiXL (skipped right over the regular DSi), and I much prefer the XL because of the bigger screen. It is a bit heavier for some kids, but I've seen 6 year olds with the XL and have no problems with it.

I'm not sure what the best price is right now, but they almost always go on sale before Christmas, plus there's always holiday bundle packs with the system and a game included. Some stores will only carry the DSi/DSiXL and the 3DS and stop stocking the Lite, but you might still find some places that are trying to clear out stock of the Lite at good prices.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I own Ds Lite and a 3DS. My sister owns a regular DSi.

The advantages of the DS Lite is the simplicity of the console. It has a pretty basic firmware and can play Game Boy Advance games (The DSi and DSi XL CANNOT). It has the best battery life of every DS system ever released (Roughly 12 hours at best) (Ds Lite is my personal favorite)

The advantages of the Dsi/DsiXL are for one part the bigger screen (DsiXL only), a more updated firmware with more applications that can be downloaded. There is also a camera which can be fun for the kids and a music player (even though you'd rather get a iPod). There is an app store that gives access to a broad selection of games that can be bought online and that generally cannot be bought in stores. The main downside compared to the DS Lite is the fact that it CANNOT play Game boy Advance games, so if you have any GBA games you might want to opt for the DS Lite.

Natually the choice is up to you but thats as much as i can tell about both models !

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I'm interested in this topic too! My DS is five, and he's been asking for a DS since he was about three.

I've read that these devices can go online with wifi, can they go online ANYWHERE? This doesn't work for me, I don't want him to be able to have access to all things online when we're not around to see.

But on the other hand, since he started school some naughty grade primary kids (could be naughty kindergarten kids in your region) told him that my phone not only can call people, there's a game on my phone with piggies and birds that are mad (Angry Birds)! I never had this darned game before, but now he's forever chanting, "Angry Birds!" and plays on my phone. Apparently some kids at school (which goes up to grade 2) have iPod Touch devices to play this game - from what I can see, $200+, expensive toys for my five year old, NOT happening.

I'd like for him to have his own device to play games, when he's earned that privilege. So I'm reading that the XL is better, right? I can use my credit card points to buy one at Futureshop, or use my SDM points to get one there. So tell me about what they can do, what's likely to work better for a kid for a couple of years?

Advice please?

Thanks!

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    I'm interested in this topic too! My DS is five, and he's been asking for a DS since he was about three.

I've read that these devices can go online with wifi, can they go online ANYWHERE? This doesn't work for me, I don't want him to be able to have access to all things online when we're not around to see.

But on the other hand, since he started school some naughty grade primary kids (could be naughty kindergarten kids in your region) told him that my phone not only can call people, there's a game on my phone with piggies and birds that are mad (Angry Birds)! I never had this darned game before, but now he's forever chanting, "Angry Birds!" and plays on my phone. Apparently some kids at school (which goes up to grade 2) have iPod Touch devices to play this game - from what I can see, $200+, expensive toys for my five year old, NOT happening.

I'd like for him to have his own device to play games, when he's earned that privilege. So I'm reading that the XL is better, right? I can use my credit card points to buy one at Futureshop, or use my SDM points to get one there. So tell me about what they can do, what's likely to work better for a kid for a couple of years?

Advice please?

Thanks!
    Yes, the DSi/DSiXL and the 3DS are internet capable with wifi (the DS Lite is not), but the included browser on the system (Opera I think) is so slow and the screen compresses everything to a point where it's so frustrating to use it...I never do.

If you have a concern about the internet, you could always just have a rule that he can only use it when he's at home supervised by a parent (lots of parents make kids hand over their electronic toys and cell phones so they can monitor their use) and for a 5 year old, that's not unreasonable by any means. I'm a teacher and I wish more parents did that...kids bring way too many expensive "toys" to school, to the point where we're confiscating cell phones/DSs/iPods from 6 year olds and then the parent complains when we do, even though it's clearly outlined in the school's rules that such devices are not to be brought to school. So thank you for reminding me that there are good parents out there that don't believe kids should have this expensive stuff outside the house

A DS of any kind is a good purchase for a 5 year old since it will only really play games and for a little kid, that's more than enough (they don't need something like an iPod or smartphone at this age). And a DS will likely last him a few years until he's old enough to want something newer and more complicated in what it does.

I personally think a 3DS is a bit much for a child, the 3D effects aren't recommended for a child under age 6 due to the vision problems that could arise, plus it's a lot of extra money for a feature that can simply be turned off via a switch, so unless you have an older child that's nuts about 3D you can save your money in that area. The DSiXL is my preference simply because of the bigger screen, unless you have or play to buy a collection of GameBoy Advance games that your son would like to play on it (the DSi/DSiXL doesn't have the GBA slot at the bottom, but the DS Lite does). If GBA games aren't an issue, I'd go with the XL, the bigger screen makes for less squinting and such. Plus it's a Nintendo product, so they tend to be very durable, if your son takes care of it (basically not purposely smashing it on the floor and such) it'll last for years....my nephews took a good couple of years to destroy their DSs, but they are rough on their things, I was surprised they lasted as long as they did ^^;

SMRT Canuck
    Trading Score
    101 (100%)

SCREW THEM BOTH THE REGULAR DS IS WHERE ITS AT!!
    I really dislike the new versions of the DS I find them really anoying and not fun at all. I got my DS in grade 6 and I still play it (and im in college, DONT LAUGH) I find it the best, it has the best design and even though it doesnt have all that interactive stuff it doesnt really matter, half the kids dont even use it! Just thought I would put my opinion out there even though it doesnt really matter ..

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Actually, the DS Lite is able to go on the internet in certain games to interact with other users around the world, and you can also buy an "internet explorer" kind of cartridge that fits on the GBA slot and allows you to browse the internet, naturally i doubt a young kid would be able to get that cartridge. As for the DS/DS Lite, DSi, DSiXL and 3DS, they cannot go on the internet like a phone would. You can access the internet only through wifi connections, and if i'm not wrong, there is a parental control to prevent younger childrens to access internet .

As for the rest, safielstar pretty much resumes it perfectly!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    100 (99%)

I'm glad I stumbled into this thread. We're thinking about getting our DD who will be 4 in November a DSi for Christmas with our amazon gift cards courtesy of swagbucks/superpoints.

Trading Score
    150 (100%)

My DD upgrades to the DSI XL and loves it BUT I would recommend going a step up to a Ipod touch. Free games, it can grow with your child and itunes cards are way cheaper then new DS games and for the price of a $25 itunes card you can get A ton of games and even movies.
    I have an Itouch (my 3 Year old uses it all.the.time) and my 12 year old has one too. I plan to get 1 for each my 10 year old and my 7 year old at some point.
    My 10 year old has a DS lite which Im sure he will be selling as soon as he has an itouch, he seldom ever uses it anymore.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Isn't an iPod touch about $300 or so?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Isn't an iPod touch about $300 or so?

the 8gb are about $250, 32gb are about $300 and the 64gb i am not sure

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by win-star View Post
    the 8gb are about $250, 32gb are about $300 and the 64gb i am not sure
    I'm such a mean mommy. For my five year old, that's NOT happening! I'm even a bit queasy over spending over $100 on a gift for him, that's much more than I've ever spent on one thing.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I'm such a mean mommy. For my five year old, that's NOT happening! I'm even a bit queasy over spending over $100 on a gift for him, that's much more than I've ever spent on one thing.
    lol, I'm with you, I wouldn't spend that much money on one 'toy' for a 5-year-old either.

I figure if kids want something that expensive that badly, they can wait until they're older and pay for it themselves. Plus, kids don't always take good care of their things...our one nephew has lost or destroyed at least 5 iPods (the first one we bought him when he was 12), so we're waiting until he realizes that when you destroy a $200 piece of equipment you need to work so many hours at your part-time job to make enough to buy a new one. I've got no problems with giving a child an iPod nano or a DS if they're responsible, they aren't too expensive relatively speaking, but an iPod touch is something I wouldn't consider for any kid until they hit high school age at least.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information