User Tag List

Thread: Suckie or No?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just curious how many parents out there use a suckie/pacifier for their little ones, and at what age you "wean" them.

My first only got his when he was tired, and we threw it out once he had teeth on the top. My second is the same so far, once his top teeth come in its gone too.

Some people I've met think that I am insane but I can't believe they have suckies for kids upto age 3 :o

What age do you pull the "plug"?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Julie Andrews
    Baby J. never liked the pacifier. He'd get more upset when you gave it to him, he preferred to suck his thumb instead.
    What we did.... everytime he started sucking his thumb we gave him his blankie (the little white cloth he has in the pic for the cutest baby contest) and he'd hold that the same time he'd suck his thumb.

Now, he won't suck his thumb unless he's holding the blankie. We give him the blankie anytime he feels uncomfortable, cranky or tired.... but most of the time he doesn't have it anymore.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Neither one of my children had one. They didn't need one I suppose. I had one ready just in case when they were born but nope... neither wanted it.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I had a few for Hayden and tried several times over the first few months but he seemed to just get mad at me (I think he thought I was trying to trick him -seriously !! lol). I eventually just gave up after trying about four different kinds now and then over three or four months. He doesn't suck a thumb or seem attached to much really. At this point I figure I'm not going to try again as I will just have to wean him soon anyhow so easier to not have it I suppose. I have a friend whose son took it just after a year but I figure if I didn't have it to help me in the earlier times I can get by now.... the only thing he likes from time to time is a stuffed monkey who he chews and sucks the hands and feet of but that's just his "travel buddy" ...so far anyhow

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My girls both had one at bed time only. One of the kids I mind has one still and sucks on it contantly, he's 1 1/2 now. I do not agree with that, I think that once they get teeth they should be weaned from it. Not my choice with this little one, I try to take it away when he is at my house but as soon as mom and dad come and get him, right back in his mouth it goes if he needs it or not. They drive me crazy with it sometimes.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi everyone!

My little girl never really cared for it. She just turned one year old on Oct. 12, and was never really crazy for it. Mind you, in the hospital after she was born, we used it and it helped, but after a week or two at home, she would pretty much always spit it out. Even now, she just chews/teeths on it...not using it as it was meant to be...a pacifier.

Bees.

Oh...I forgot...she doesn't even suck her thumb. Did it for a couple of times, but didn't really go with that either. Guess we are lucky this way.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

My nephew has one, but most of the time he just pulls it out of his mouth when he's really mad..so there's not really any use...although he does need it to go to sleep with. My niece (his cousin) doesn't like the pacifier though..

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Okay, I'm an mom of older kids AND I am dental hygienist and my son had his until he was 3!!! I worried about it too and "hid" the fact from other people but he loved his "soo soo" and when he was ready to give it up, he did with no problem!! My daughter had one also until she was 2. No big deal. From a dental point of view, it is MUCH better than a thumb and a much easier habit to break. If their teeth appear a bit "open" at the front, that will all come back together when the soother is stopped.

My best "mom" advice is , don't sweat the small stuff!!! Use your gut feeling and just don't worry what other people say. They are YOUR kids and you KNOW them better than ANYBODY!! Believe me, when they are teenagers, you will look back and wonder why you worried about all this other stuff. Teenage worries are SO different. ENJOY your kids while you have control over everything that they do!!! Good luck!!

Thread Information