User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Hmmmm yeah family can be odd about couponing (so can some friends) but what the heck. We are saving money and loving it!
    Last edited by topmom; Fri, Oct 14th, 2011 at 05:52 PM.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I actually got my family into couponing because they saw what awesome deals I can get. My boyfriend loves the fact that I can save money! Why pay full price when you don't have to? Like..coupons are pieces of paper that can be used as money to pay for things.. how is that not completely out-of-this-world great!?
    I've helped out his family too, especially because a member just had twins and we all know how much diapers and formula cost. People are really thankful, so it's really unfortunate that your family and husband isn't supporting your couponing!

But really.. if people look down on couponing, well that's not my problem. You don't have to be in a "low income" situation to benefit from coupons. That couple of dollars I saved from one shopping trip will add up to a couple hundred or more dollars by the end of the year! That's cash in my pocket.

lol, more coupons/inserts for me if people don't use them.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

St.KittsGal
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

My DF is on and off the support band wagon with my couponing. He loves that he can just grab deodorant or toothpaste out of the stockpile when he needs it but he hates waiting at the cash to PM and coupon.

And I never hear the end of it when he is hears what I buy and how much i spend on items each week. Today I got nagged for spending $50 on items that would have cost me twice that if I didn't buy them on sale, with coupons, with Price matching or at a liquidation store.

Plus he claims we didn't need anything I bought. Last time I checked no one stops using toilet paper, paper towels, kitty litter, shampoo, conditioner, food and ziploc bags (which were free). Sure I may already have several items of these stored away but I have used some of my stock pile already and I need to replace what I used while things were on sale, and before my coupons expired.

Plus my other argument - I went out for 3 hours with my girlfriend shopping. If he had gone out with a buddy and spend even $30 at the bar with a guyfriend on drinks and food, I wouldn't have gotten mad so why can he nag when I spend $50 on a night out with my girlfriend and I bring home stuff for the household?
    Last edited by Gamerfaith; Sat, Oct 15th, 2011 at 12:54 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

My daughter use to think I was obsessed now when she goes to buy baby formula, she grabs a coupon. HAHA

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

Like you, I'm careful about who I talk to about couponing. My two teen-agers at first didn't want to hear about my couponing and would make fun of me to their friends. Then for the first time I bought the Entertainment coupon book. Since my teens pay for their own entertainment, now they and their friends check out the Entertainment book for coupons before leaving the house. And a few of their friends have told their parents about how much money I save from couponing -- especially when something is free or I get an overage. I still don't talk much about couponing to my kids, but they are certainly on board now for saving money. My DD even picks up the tear-pad coupons for me when we're shopping now!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

This weekend was a turning point - my two sisters (both married with kids) thanked me profusely because I gave them some Vim, Snuggle and Arm & Hammer detergent coupons each to use to get free stuff (except A&H) at CT. I even warned them of the attitude they would get and how to handle it.

Well, each has stocked their inventory with enough VIM and Snuggle to last the next 2 years for FREE.

They never believed me until today that you could easily get free stuff when you put your mind to it. I guess I have 2 converts....now only 10 to go!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaK View Post
    I am getting a lot of flack from my DH and family about my couponing. They say I am being cheap by using coupons and that they don't want to hear what I get for free (samples, products). So I have decided that outside of this forum, I am not going to mention coupons or getting stuff free again!

But I wonder if others get the same flack and why do we get it?
    I think that genuinly people don't think it saves money!
    I just think that hey! We're blessed with higher thinking ability when it comes to couponing!
    Yes, I've been blamed for being the cause of HST.
    Yes, I've been blamed for causing the recession.
    Yes, I've been called cheep, robbing the place etc;
    I have friends who used to laugh at me about the couponing thing.. But I forced one of them into a store for a surprise shopping trip (went in for free cereal last year).
    And stuff like that.. They stop laughing when they realise that the toothbrush they just bought for $6 is one you just got 5 of because they were free!!

Yikes! I didn't mean to rant!
    Thanks for reading!
    In 2010/11 I used over $7700 in coupons!
    My 2012 goal is $6000 in coupons!

:::Alee142010:::

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    -2 (0%)

My family thinks it's awesome,I share almost everything I get with whomever needs it,saving money isn't silly or dumb in anyway shape or form[coupons]keep on couponing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

DH was making fun of me at first, work too. Lasted about 3-4 months. DH stopped after I showed him the spread sheet with the total coupons used and saving. We were at abount $1000.00 in coupon used and about the same in sales savings. Guess he was worried I'd buy stuff we did not need. He stopped making any kind of comments, even about the time I took to shop. Same thing for work, once I said I used $1000.00 in coupons so far, they changed their minds and some actually started asking me how to coupon.

About 1 month ago I said I should stop bying TP because I thought we were ok for a while and we're running out of room. That's when IT happened, the miracle. DH says "NO, DON'T". You don't know when a great deal is going to happen again. Couldn't stop smilling for a week. He finally gets it.

Just be patient, they'll come around.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

My bro knows I have a stockpile in my basement. Last time, he went home with hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. Most of them were free, like food but a lot of them I had to pay tax. So I asked him for $10 to cover my cost. He laughed at me and carried his multiple bags to his car. He will never get free stuff from me again.

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

awesome thread!!!
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

SMRT Canuck
    Trading Score
    101 (100%)

Personally my family thought it was great, especially my mom because I was saving her a lot of money. However my friend thought it was stupid, up until a few days ago. Today she was at the store and she texted me saying how she found some coupons and how excited she was. Couponing is contagious, its funny how fast my friend turned around. Now every time I get coupon mail she is always so excited to see what I got.

Trading Score
    471 (100%)

My H is supportive. He is not a big fan of actually shopping with coupons and it never fails, if he is with me, something goes wrong at the till(like having to argue for SCOP or something.) I am lucky though, most stores know me so, generally, using coupons if fairly non-eventful. He, however, will clip coupons, dig for them in the recycling bin, and the organizing of the stockpile is all his. He is rather neurotic about it.

My middle daughter will snag coupons from the parents of friends that aren't using them. She actually came home from school the other day totally annoyed at her teacher(she is 15) because he put a note on his mailbox that says.."No flyers, junk mail, or COUPONS!" She couldn't fathom that someone wouldn't want coupons.

My little one clips all my coupons from my inserts.

My son, who is 16, is the bravest. I am going to be having surgery soon and that means no couponing for awhile and he plans to take over.

My MIL collects coupons for me. My mom thinks coupons are totally embarrassing and will not use them. She is always complaining she is broke and wastes her money on the stupidest things. She entirely shops at Safeway without coupons(can you imagine) and says it's because it's just her. To each her own, I guess.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    146 (100%)

We were always brought up to save money and take pride in stretching our dollars. My dad said his mom told him "Save your pennies and the dollars will follow". So my couponing has my parents complete admiration. In fact they save their inserts for me and any coupons they get. But now my dad is on my mom to get into this more. My husband and kids love all the stuff they get now because of the coupon savings!

I really don't care what anyone else thinks, I care about saving our money for our family and being able to buy the items I otherwise would not. Like others have said, it is their loss.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

The other day, my mom and dad were babysitting DS. My dad is a big couponer as are my sisters - I found this out this past week, when I told them about the Vim, Snuggles and A&H detergent at CT. I even gave them the coupons to get stuff free, warned them about the obstacles they would encounter and how to handle it. Well, what do you know? They called me this evening and thanked me. My older sister (I am the middle one) said that she never believed that I could get stuff for free until today.

They are now totally amazed....3 converts down, 8 to go!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information