User Tag List

Thread: Mastitis

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Anyone else ever have mastitis? I braved a visit to the clinic as I was in soooo much pain I could not take it!
    The 1st clinic was all booked up for the day at 11am, so off to Stat care I went. Everyone coughing all over, I asked for a place to breastfeed. I lied. Sam was asleep, but I was not abound to pick up a 2nd problem to deal with!
    How long did it take yours to clear up? Sam has a yeast infection on his tushie and has cream. My pain is so bad I am in agony. If it is not one thing its another.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I never had it but I had bad engorgment a few times. I think for mattitis you have to get antibotics.

I do know though a combination of motrin and tylenol and hot and cold clothes helped. Wish I could offer more help, I can only imagine the pain you are in.

Trading Score
    133 (100%)

Definitely get antibiotics. I think for me it was about 3 days after I started the antibiotics that I really started to feel better. Nurse more often on the side with the mastitis even though it's uncomfortable.
    I got it the week before I started back to work so I know how much it sucks! Best of luck.

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

Yes, I've had it, so sorry you have to deal with it, I remember how painful it is. One thing that works so well to keep the swelling down is cabbage leaves stuck in your bra. Just change them out once they've started to wilt. Someone told me that when I had issues and wow it helped *so* much. Hope it eases up soon.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vibrantflame View Post
    Yes, I've had it, so sorry you have to deal with it, I remember how painful it is. One thing that works so well to keep the swelling down is cabbage leaves stuck in your bra. Just change them out once they've started to wilt. Someone told me that when I had issues and wow it helped *so* much. Hope it eases up soon.

The "wives tale" I was told was cabbage leaves were to decrease your milk supply.

I BF all 4 of my babies, and I have had mastitis; horrible.

You need antibiotics, but also you should apply moist heat for 15 to 20 mins about 4 times a day to the affected areas - hot showers worked wonders. Also, continue to BF the baby even though it hurts like hell. I used to curl my toes in pain, but once it passes, things will be fine again.

Best of luck

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Once I got the antibiotics, it cleared up pretty quickly. Massaging for any plugged ducts and using heat also helps.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

i am so sorry to hear you have that. i got that a few times with my first. nursing a baby on a breast with mastitus may be the most painful thing ever!! what helped for me is sitting in a tub of ridiculously hot water with my breasts hanging in the water and then massaging the plugged area and squeezing out some milk. and you can take tylenol and advil, a combo worked okay. i really feel for you, i am soooo glad i never have to feel that pain again.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

ouch thats no fun! Nurse as much as possible. Get the antibiotics and some probiotics too. Probiotics will help ward off any yeast infections, including thrush, that antibiotics make one more prone to. Take the probiotic a couple hours apart from your antibiotics though. Soy lecithin is supposed to help with plugged ducts and mastitis. (its in most chocolate...an excuse to eat chocolate? yes I think so! )

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    60 (100%)

If you ever run into a plugged duct again (which can quickly lead to mastitis), having the baby's chin pointed at the plugged part is the best way to clear it up (combined with warm compresses)...it can sometimes take some very creative maneuvering to get in that position . As well, there are some physio clinics that can do ultrasound on your breast to clear up the plugged duct - I have a couple of friends who were repeatedly getting very ill, and this is the only thing that helped.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Oh, I feel for you - had it with my 3rd baby along with cracks on the nipples and that is undescribable pain. Nurse often on the side with the mastitis, and definitely get anitbiotics. Also a warm pad and massage on the affected site - it takes a while and it is painful, but it will pass. I was tempted to stop nursing when this happened but I am glad I didnt (the benefits of breastfeeding outweighed the 7+ days I had to deal with the cracks and the mastitis).

Good luck.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Thanks so much! I am on antibotics and the pain is subsiding slightly. I curl my toes and punch the air when I BF. It is sooo painful, but the little one has to eat. It hurts more when I am "full".
    The things we have to go through.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by juniperjune View Post
    Thanks so much! I am on antibotics and the pain is subsiding slightly. I curl my toes and punch the air when I BF. It is sooo painful, but the little one has to eat. It hurts more when I am "full".
    The things we have to go through.
    i used to tell people it feels like the baby has razor blades for gums! or that your breastfeeding a pirana.

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mdutka View Post
    i used to tell people it feels like the baby has razor blades for gums! or that your breastfeeding a pirana.
    LMAO you are SO right. That's exactly how it feels. I'm pretty sure mine never got quite so bad as that, I never got any antibiotics for it, just used the hot compresses and BF more frequently on that side. I found if I didn't let my breast get too full of milk it was less painful when DS nursed.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Reviving an old thread as I got mastitis
    I was out and felt so sick. Thought it was flu because I had fever, headache, chills and my whole body was in pain.

Was prescribed antibiotics this morning. I been nursing almost every hour for the past 12 hours now, including last night and I'm exhausted.
    I was so happy DS2 finally was feeding every 3 hrs instead of 2. I had some pretty bad engorgement but didn't think I would lead to mastitis.

Thread Information