User Tag List

Trading Score
    40 (100%)

wasn't sure which board to post this on since I'm half way between Halifax and Cape Breton so I decided to post on both boards

I'm sending out a call for help from pictou county members (and anyone else who wants to help). I'm making gift baskets for a silent auction to raise funds to help the family of Amber Kirwan, the 19 year old girl who went missing after leaving a local pool hall on Thanksgiving weekend. The silent auction is to take place at the Whitetail in Westville On Oct 28.
    Would you please please check your stockpiles to see if you have anything you can contribute to these baskets?
    Currently we are working on
    a grocery basket
    a christmas basket
    a preserve basket
    a personal care basket (female)
    a personal care basket (mens)
    a household basket (containing air fresheners, candles etc
    a second household basket containing cleaners, laundry soap etc
    a pet basket - possibly one for a cat and one for a dog if I can get enough stuff- I have 10 days to put the baskets together

additionally we are sending out a plea for green ribbon- the color chosen to represent this, Ambers favorite color, please search your craft items. We have purchased every bit of green ribbon within 3 counties and we need more- we also need people willing to print off posters, donate tape, staples etc. If you have any items you can donate please message me for pick up or you can drop them off at the West End recreation centre on Lavinia street New Glasgow. They are also in need of volunteers to put up posters, as kids keep ripping them down (at least I hope its kids), make up donation cans, do up ribbons. Or please donate some time to the Balloon Works store this afternoon as they put messages of hope for Amber inside balloons to release later today

Any and all help would be so very much appreciated - if you know any members from New Glasgow and area who may not frequent this board please pass the message along to them

Thanks you
    Lori

EDIT: they are sending the volunteers home due to the lack of supplies and posters. If you can help by printing off some posters please message me for a link to the poster
    This thread is currently associated with: Staples

Loves codes of all kinds hogama's Avatar
    Trading Score
    196 (100%)

Please, fellow Capers..... I know we can dig deep and help Lori out!!!

My envelope is on the way, and I've transferred some Shoppers Optimum points to help out.

I can't imagine what Amber Kirwan's family is going thru right now. They need all the support they can get!

Trading Score
    40 (100%)

thanks so much!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

PM me ...and I will send along some Shopper's Optimum pts.
    And Kudos to Hogama for the "holler out" to her friends

Trading Score
    196 (100%)

Thanks shooter!!! You rock! PM'ed you!

Trading Score
    40 (100%)

thank you so much! will pm you now

Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I'm very sorry to say that there is no new information to report. I've been putting the baskets together and have 3 finished. I'm leaving the Christmas gift basket and the grocery basket until last.

Just as a side note, any coupons not used for these baskets will be used to help the Truro Foodbank. I heard a plea from the foodbank on Friday that its shelves are bare, donations are at their lowest point and they need help so I thought that should be where any excess goes. It seemed to be fate as I received a very generous and kind envelope from hogmama and I was opening it when I heard about their need on the radio.
    The shoppers points which were so kindly given by several people have been used to purchase items specifically needed for the baskets. If I have a few minutes before the baskets are delivered, to figure out how to post pictures, I'd like to post them so you can see how your donation helped

Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I just uploaded the last minute pictures I took before the baskets left this morning. http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/members.../amber-kirwan/
    The auction was still going on the last I heard at 10:30 tonight. I really hope they do well. My daughter helped set up for the auction and she was working the door for a couple of hours. We'll see how things went when she gets home. I'm watching the baby for her tonight, and my other little one is sick- the 10 yr old has a birthday party tomorrow and I'm so tired, but i didn't want to go to bed without posting a big thank you to everyone who contributed in any way. Thanks so much for helping me do this! I'll try to find a few minutes in the morning to leave feedback for all the RAOKs- but if I can't get back to the computer tomorrow I promise to do it asap
    Additionally, I'm going to try to get out tomorrow and do a little shopping in the morning with the coupons I didn't get to use for the baskets and put together a donation for the foodbank in Truro. I have to go through to
    Dartmouth some time next week so I can drop the donation off on the way.
    Thank you again!
    Lori

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

It looks like they may have found her.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ins-found.html

Trading Score
    196 (100%)

Thoughts and prayers going out to the Kirwan family.... Such a shame.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

They've confirmed now that those remains are hers. So sad.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Tragic, her life was just beginning. For the family's sake I hope this was somehow accidental rather than intentional. So sad for the whole community.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thoughts and prayers going out to her family and friends. What a tragedy.

Thread Information