User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tips

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Hey, where did I miss all the ketchup coupons? My kids like it on everything and sometimes we draw the limit..."no we don't eat ketchup on our pizza, there's already tomato sauce on it", but I do get them to dip the pizza in Hidden Valley Ranch (like the Panago sauce, just a lot cheaper). And we went to the drive-through a few weeks ago for the first time. They loved it! I loved it! But we're not making a habit of it...and no, we don't eat in the car, as I'd never get the grease out. Hard enough in the kitchen.

So I don't think I qualify for the coupon hoarders show yet (or stockpile due to couponing), but I think I would qualify for a Couponaholics meeting, although I'd have to sneak out after the kids are asleep. Or maybe a Couponaholics ward at the local hostel, how would our meeting go? maybe like this:

Here at Couponaholics we are a group of people who are couponing addicts. We are all about supporting our members with a mix of meds, tips and taking care of the odd bully and bug.
    Evening people who fancies a game of mystery meds? In front of me I have a table with 25 cups all numbered; pick a cup and you get what's under it. Each Med comes with a free shot of ketchup or Hidden Valley Ranch to wash them down.

Please make a note of your cup number as we have switched meds round for the weekend; if you cannot guess what is causing your particular hallucinations, ask me, the Head Doc and I will tell you what you had.

DISCLAIMER this is for all residents of Couponaholics ward and we urge you not to try this at home. It is only safe for you to take on this challenge in the safe haven we provide for you.

Please note that we have a special cup for our Creative Director Blk_rose and that cup number 69 will replace "unlucky" cup number 13. We have removed cup number 13 after this game was played last year and we are still trying to identify what the meds were. Please rest assured that the iron gates on cell number 13 are strong and super-reinforced, so carry on running past that cell in a natural fashion.

Looking forwards to seeing you in the common room. Would the posh residents please bear with us as the "posh" room is currently under construction. W need more coupons for the velvet being used to reupholster the chairs found by our Creative Director during her last dumpster dive.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I hope you have coupons fo those meds, or are at least using free samples from the Dr.'s office.

Could we have craft activities using expired coupons? Papier mache, decoupo(n)age, classy coupon wallpaper. Oooohhhh...we could cut them in little strips and weave tiny baskets, big enough for a couple of loonies (our average out of pocket per shopping trip). We could make and sell kids memory matching games, but instead of pairs, they have to find the stacks.

BTW Blk_rose, these are things you could do with all the expired coupons lying around to get them out of the way, without having to part with them! You can be tidy AND a hoarder all at the same time!

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

They're aspirin of course! A lucky few may get Buckleys or Neocitran instead of Ranch. And a few more will get Dr samples and some Canes Oral...

Ripple Effect of Kindness Blk_rose's Avatar
    Trading Score
    82 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Hkymom66 View Post
    Just my 2 cents for Blk Rose. When I had my coupon binder stolen out of my car, she was the first person to come to my rescue and drive to my house on her time and hand deliver some extra coupons she had to help me start over.

I had honestly forgotten your screen name but time to time I wondered what ever happened to you I am glad your bad experience didnt keep you from still couponing.

~The Ripple Effect of Kindness Project~

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    50 (100%)

Sounds like a heated thread over here!
    I havent posted in a very long time. I took a step back from couponing and being active on smartcanucks. On smartcanucks I was finding couponing becoming very aggressive and people had more bad to say than good. It seemed like every time someone made a post there was always more than a few in the bunch that would throw in their strong negative opinions where it wasn't really necessary.
    It looks like there are still some great couponers out there, hopefully we can kill the bad ones with all of our kindness!

Back to the original point of your post Blkrose - Organizing!
    I have coupon stashes all around my house, it drives my boyfriend crazy. I've started to use ziplocs for everything. My extra tear pads go in a heavy duty big ziploc, I used the little ziplocs to organize my trades before mailing them out, I put my "coupons I will never use" in a special ziploc and so on and so forth.
    And then when I get overwhelmed with couponing and I have coupons everywhere I throw them all in one big ziploc bag and when I can find some time while wathcing tv I sort through them. This way It gets rid of the little stashes I have all around my house lol.

Trading Score
    108 (100%)

BlkRose has been very generous in her trades with me Here's my organization tip for keeping all my couponing stuff organized: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/members/mvandekuyt/albums/organization-system/.
    I use a coupon cart - saved my kitchen and my marriage... he, he, he...
    It keeps everything organized for trades and my binders too. I got it at Costco several years ago for scrapbooking. I also keep a notebook where I track all my trades, notes about traders, wish lists, coupon policies, etc. I guess you could use a box, suitcase or other craft cart.
    Take a look at Travelnut's system - write the expiry date on the top coupon when you file it, put a dot on the top one green if stackable, yellow for some iffy wording and red for non-stacking.
    I'm no longer couponing and my dogs have passed away. I can't figure out how to delete my profile. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Hi BlkRose,

I tripped over a site awhile back that really changed how I organize my days and my life. I'm far from being one of those who 'has it all together', but it has been a great change so far. It helped me survive working a full-time and two part-time jobs, while still having clean clothes! LOL!

It's not for everyone, but thought I'd put it out there. www.flylady.net. Just my two cents.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

In terms of coupons...ask yourself ...do you seriously need the stuff. As well your hampers are very generous but as busy as you are especially at this time of the year is it feasable.

I don't want you to feel more guilty but at the same time you have young kids..they need you..so does the hamper giving interfere with the time you can spend with them.

It's so important those early years-instilling good work habits. Our milddle one told me half his English class is failing. Why? They do not hand in their assignments. This does not start in Gr.10 but alot earlier. It's about parents supervising homework, creating partnerships with teachers.

That takes time...so stuff like couponing and donating needs to take a back seat. There will be a time when your kids get older. Raising self sufficient, indenependent, hard working kids is so important.

Can the big kid find work nearer home? I know the bus service from Sherwood Park to Edmonton is not great. We have two working in St.Albert but this is temporary until they can get some experience then they will be applying closer to home.

In terms of time management...look for recipes that allow you to cook ahead so you are making something in the morning and not trying to cook a meal when the kids are home. There are many sites out there. Also make two meals and freeze one for another day you will know will be busy.

And remember kids stay young only once..after ours went to school the time just flew by. I just don't know how they got to be older teens so fast.
    Last edited by Kelkens; Fri, Dec 2nd, 2011 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Added on

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    44 (100%)

BLK_Rose, having just one kid under 6 months, I don't know how you do it. Half the time people are amazed in my multi-tasking but I feel like some days it takes all I've got to even get out of my pj's, let alone laundry, cleaning, cooking and couponing.

I started thinking about that perspection a lot lately - people thinking I do "so much". Maybe we all need to just do what we feel is right and be satisfied. I'm usually harder on myself than I would be on anyone else.

Give yourself a break. A breather. You're raising amazing kids! All the posts on here talk about how wonderful you've been to others through couponing and trades! All in all, those are great positive points to remember even when you're thinking you're not organized.

PS. I wrote this in my pj & I haven't had coffee yet. If it doesn't make sense, that's why

Ripple Effect of Kindness Blk_rose's Avatar
    Trading Score
    82 (100%)

I appreciate everyones feedbacks and tips. I am very organized in my family life and do not work. My kids (minus the 7 month old..who loves to shop) are old enough to not be needy of mom anymore. Of course other then the odd "mom can you cook 75 peices of bannock for school cultural day tommorrow..like they asked last night LOL. As teens they seem to think mom snaps her fingers and doesnt need warning for such things. As for the hubby me driving him to and from work gives us a good hour of real alone convo a day...something we needed as at home the children get all of our attention.

The only thing I couldnt seem to keep up with is orgnizing the coupons. It seems just when I finally get coupons for trades and trains organized its time to clean out expired coupons. I was and still am just finding coupons sitting in boxes and expiring before realize I even had them.

Though I was reading about that website someone posted..there is some great tips for home life that I just might use so thank you!

As far as doing to much...I only do what I need to do to fill in the void of no longer working and not having children who need me to do every thing for them anymore. Multi tasking like I said came well from raising 6 kids under 5 when I was a foster mom. Everything after that seems easy...except keeping coupons organized. lol

~The Ripple Effect of Kindness Project~

Trading Score
    108 (100%)

Hey everyone - here's some of my tips for keeping organized and working from home: http://mirandavandekuyt.wordpress.co...ry/motherhood/

Especially take a look at: http://mirandavandekuyt.wordpress.co...e-saving-tips/
    http://mirandavandekuyt.wordpress.co...vercommitment/
    http://mirandavandekuyt.wordpress.co...me-management/

Hope these give you some ideas
    I'm no longer couponing and my dogs have passed away. I can't figure out how to delete my profile. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Brit-Tiny
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I am not a mother but hopefully will be one day.. So all I can offer you is: "keep on truckin'".
    If you're able to graciously organize your hampers, coupon, do multiple trades and trains, and still be a good mom... You're doing something right!

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Well, this may help you down the road, but you had mentioned to me at the swap you are 6 months away from being a registered charity. When you do that, perhaps you can start "hiring" volunteers to help you out so it becomes more manageable with your hampers. I don't know about Alberta, but in Saskatoon before we could graduate high school, we had to complete so many hours of charity work.

I'm sorry I don't have too much more advice on your situation. I am great at running a business, but when it comes to parenthood? Not a clue...not going to be a mom anytime soon nor planning on it, but I have the UTMOST respect for the mothers out there. You ladies have the hardest jobs in the world, and in my eyes, the best managers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information