User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Danone Oikos Greek Yogurt

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by screamy View Post
    Thanks...this just put me on to a Youtube and Google search frenzy...I love the stuff but don't know anything about making my own yogurt (from scratch, anyway). I vaguely remember an aunt doing it when I was a kid...she was the family hippie, LOL.

Can't wait to try it myself!
    you can make it by straining regular plain yogurt through cheesecloth
    Enjoy chatting on forums or blogs? Get paid $0.05+ per post at Postloop!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I stopped buying yogurt when I learned how incredibly easy it is to make. I add skim milk powder while I'm mixing in the starter, which makes it thicker and also increases the calcium and protein. You get the same volume of yogurt as the milk that you use, so it's A LOT less expensive!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I like Greek yogurt, but have to have something to sweeten it a little. It is pretty tangy, for sure. But yogurt is an awesome substitute for mayonnaise in chicken salad. I don't care for mayo, but I love the taste plain yogurt gives. I mix in a little mayo, for smoothness, but I'd way rather have chicken salad made with plain yogurt.

Bumper Sticker Printing | Custom Bumper Stickers | Round Stickers

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Tried the Oikos blueberry this week because my PriceSmart has it on sale for $1.97 per 4pack. I REALLY like it and am glad I picked up 3 packs of it. My first thought when I tried it was that it reminded me of Minigo

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I make my own too but in Greek, I prefer Liberte to the Oikos kind.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I tried the Oikos yogurt back in the fall and love the stuff, but it made me sick while I was pregnant for some reason; now I can eat it just fine though with no issues.

Trading Score
    201 (100%)

I really liked the honey flavoured one, and blueberry is yummy too!! they are bringing out new flavours next month! cherry, peach mango, pomagranite,and key lime! yum!
    Get paid for your opinion! http://legerweb.com/J4Z12
    Join Swagbucks and earn free money and giftcards!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/melissabrien

Trading Score
    63 (100%)

I tried this stuff at Sobeys last weekend when they were sampling it. I really liked it! Will be buying it sometime. Got a handful of $0.50 off coupons too!
    Join Swagbucks to start earning Amazon gift cards & Paypal $$$!
    Join Swagbucks!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My dietitian gave me some for free and I really liked it. The trouble is the cost. I tried the PC one but it wasn't nearly as thick as the Danone one and that's actually what I liked about it- the texture. I also like that it's not as sweet as regular flavored yogurt which often taste like they put jam in them- yuck!

I'm curious about trying to make my own. Does anyone have good resources for how to make it?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sunny3 View Post
    My dietitian gave me some for free and I really liked it. The trouble is the cost. I tried the PC one but it wasn't nearly as thick as the Danone one and that's actually what I liked about it- the texture. I also like that it's not as sweet as regular flavored yogurt which often taste like they put jam in them- yuck!

I'm curious about trying to make my own. Does anyone have good resources for how to make it?
    Do you mean make your own Greek yogurt, or yogurt in general? I think if you use plain yogurt and strain most of the liquid out you should get a similar result. I make a lot of my own things from scratch, but yogurt isn't one of them. Does anyone remember Graham Kerr? He was aka The Galloping Gourmet and he showed how to strain yogurt on his tv program to make Greek-style yogurt, but it wasn't called that at the time.

Safeway has a deal on the Danone Oikos this week: 2 - 500g tubs or 2 - 4x100g for $7, so $3.50 each, and if you have a coupon that's even better. You also get 20 bonus airmiles with the purchase of two.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'll have to try that. Thanks. I know you make yogurt cheese like that but maybe if you strain it a little less long you get greek yogurt. I'll probably try it since it think you can get plain yogurt in cheap brand at a good price and I can add my own fruit since I don't like it too sweet.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

I have tried it and love it!
    If you are interested in Houseseats here is my referal link:
    http://www.houseseats.ca/[email protected]

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I bought the key lime and it is soooo good!! Not too sweet and just the right amount of tang!!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have been making my own yogurt for awhile now using my crock pot. It's super easy and so much healthier. Once the yogurt is set I just strain it to make greek yogurt and then add blended fruit. It is delicious!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I just tried the vanilla one. OMG it's good! Then I was in Costco to see what they had. The Liberté, they only had plain in the big tubs (and I wasn't paying $12 for 12 individual cups). The 0 fat kind was $7 something and was two 500 gram tubs. The 2% one was $5.69 for two 1 kg tubs, guess which one I bought?

Now I need to find a use for it. On its own I won't eat it, but maybe mixed with some fruit puree? I have some frozen strawberries in my freezer, might take those out and give it a go. I'm also thinking we'll try it tonight on baked potatoes instead of sour cream.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information