User Tag List

Thread: Wedding ideas

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Does anyone have any inexpensive wedding ideas? I just got engaged and we've bought/renovating a house so money is tight. We are getting married on June 30,2012. Any ideas would be great.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I made my only table center peices by going to the dollar store and making them, I also had my wedding in our backyard and went out and bought canopy tents and then rented tables and bought table cloths and my husband made a bar and we rented a port a potty the wedding deluxe one. I purchased my gown at sophie a one of a kind Alfred sung for $300 and my daughters i purchased on ebay for $60. I got my hair and nails done but I did my own makeup. and part favours were a bottle a wine designed by us at Qui du vine in total my wedding cost $5000 thats including the open bar and the catering of a pig roast and roast beef.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Our son got married a couple of years ago. We don't have any relatives who are a vet, but we rented the local Air Force Hall for $100.00. They catered the meal for only about $20.00 a person, and we had 60 people. There was a gazebo down on the river just behind the hall that you could rent for free from the City. I draped it in sheer curtains I found at Sally Ann's, and it looked like a tropical wedding. We hired a cellist for $200 to play as they were going down the aisle. A friend of mine made her wedding dress, and I made the wedding cake. The groom's tuxedo came free with the best men's rentals. WE even bought the bridesmaids their dresses, and with flowers and everything else it came to about $5,000. I think that's about the cheapest you're going to get.
    Another idea is to have a wedding in a tropical paradise, and have your guests pay their own way, and then just have a party at your house when the renovations are done.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I guess it depends how much you have to spend and what you want to spend it on.

I once went to a nice evening wedding that started at 7pm. After a ceremony done at the small hall, there was a "luncheon". It was so long ago I can't remember what was served but I remember it being nice and simple- more of a cold buffet but there might have been a couple of warm dishes, desserts. I don't recall a brides maid or best man but if there was, it was one of each. It wasn't real formal but they had a good DJ. Their pictures had been done before the ceremony.

On another occasion I went to a very small wedding- grandparents, parents, siblings and their spouses, nieces and nephews of each partner and one bride friend and one groom friend. There was a reception and the groom had done all the music ahead of time and basically just pressed play on the sound system. Pictures were just taken at a public park. There were a few candles placed on the tables and a couple of flower arrangements that were made by the bride.

The cheapest wedding I went to- the minister came to the parents of the bride's home, did the wedding there, and mom of the bride had made all the food. It was only parents, siblings and their spouses, nephews and nieces, and one friend of the bride and groom. The house was on a lake. Pictures were taken by a friend with a digital camera on the property. All was done outdoors but it was a big enough house to accommodate everyone indoors if needed. People were dressed up but there was no best man nor brides maid, everyone wore what they wanted, the only bouquet was the bride's, no decorations anywhere. There was no dance but there was background music, story telling, the kids went swimming... It was a wedding that did the job and didn't break the bank.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Thank you for the ideas. We are getting married at my soon to be in-laws house with max 60 people.

Trading Score
    291 (100%)

my husband and I got married last Nov 20, 2010 and including our honeymoon for 5nights away at a bed and breakfast we paid $1500 total -- that includes my dress, attire, hall, officiant, rings, 3 flower girl dresses, 3 bridesmaids dresses, 3 mens suits, hubbys attire, food (Full thanksgiving buffet) deserts, midnight snack, giveaways, decorations, photographer, DJ, and our daughter also got baptized at our service if you have any questions feel free to PM me. - our Stag and Doe paid for everything and we had enough money to purchase a used van and put it on the road as ours died 1 month before our wedding.
    MY WISHLIST - (click link below please)

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/members/javamama1974/

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I got married last Oct, made my own centrepieces and I have left over party favours (hint hint LOL) we spent 10,000 on our wedding, but rented the hall had to bring in the pastor from out of town etc etc. A lot of things I could have done cheaper. Look through clearout sections for decoration ideas, I know it's all fall clolours now but if you like them, they could work. I used 1/2 litre wine decanters that I received from my old job as they didn't use that size anymore, filled them with the aquarium stones and than put a candle inside (which I also have for sale LOL)

I have a friend who had a put luck, another had a pig roast. What I have learned is not to go with the little man, especially now knowing how cheap you can get food. If you have a friend or family member(s) who are willing to help make the food, it would be cheaper to have it done that way, that way you know exactly how much you are spending on food and know exactly what you are getting.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

if i can give any suggestions at all... put your $ where you want things to be 'perfect'.. like pictures... a dress will be sold, given away or sit in the back of a closet.. and everything else is just 'stuff'.. but when it comes to looking at your wedding day pictures a year ,5 years, 10 even 50 years down the road.. you want to be able to look at them and smile. ykwim.. don't trust your ole buddy with a new camera who doesn't speak much english (NO offence please).. who says Yes to every question you ask.. then doesn't show up at your wedding on time nor your reception.. it can make for some hurt feelings may years down the road.. and a wish to do it all over again.. anyway that was my rant.. everything including decorations, food can be done easily and inexpensively if you know the right ppl. pull all the favors in you can.. word of mouth helps too.. watch Kijiji as well.. in your area and around.. lots of ppl will be getting married in the next few months.. and once they are.. they will more than likely want to sell or give away stuff.. keep your eyes peeled.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

For homemade decoration ideas, photo ideas etc, I would recommend looking at the website www.pinterest.com
    People "pin" ideas they love, did, or want to do.. and most of them are DIY etc.
    It's actually a pretty awesome site.
    Step away from my coupon binder and no one gets hurt.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

OMG I LUV pinterest.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    OMG I LUV pinterest.

Step away from my coupon binder and no one gets hurt.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

My wedding was very inexpensive. It was a very private wedding, but for the traditional things, I saved a lot of money. I found my photographer on Kijiji, she gave me a great deal and in return she got to use the photos to build her portfolio. She even did a mini shoot of my son, before the wedding.
    My dress was not from a traditional bridal store, although I didn't want a traditional or even white dress. It was from Le Chateau, way cheaper and I can wear it again. Funny enough it ended up being white The guys wore suits they already had, just got new shirts and ties. My girlfriend bought a nice dress in the colour I wanted (which she can also wear again).
    My hair,make-up and nails I did myself, mostly because we were in the middle of no-where at a cottage by the bay.
    For flowers, I bought 3 dozen roses and a bundle of greens, a couple elastics, some pins, trimmers, and matching ribbon. The night before we made bouquets and boutonniers. You wouldn't have known I made them!
    That was it for my wedding, but you can do table markes, setting and centre pieces very easily for cheap. Just save your Michaels coupons and buy stuff whenever there is a coupon. Especially because you have the time!
    The more simple the less stress and the more you can enjoy the day!!!!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

We had a "cheap" wedding. My parents own a waterfront cottage in the Bruce -- so we did everything up there. We got married at a small church (MIL though all weddings needed to be in a church), and had the reception/party back at the cottage. We rented a tent for $265 (including delivery/pickup/setup/etc), and some port-a-potties as the cottage only has one washroom.

Wedding + 5 day honeymoon at bear trail coupons resort was $6200 -- including a $1200 dress.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My girlfriend just started an amazing specialty cake business, and she could make your wedding cake for MUCH cheaper than anywhere else!

She is so creative, and everything is always very elegant looking!

Check her out here:

www.chickbosscake.com

All the best!

Chad

Thread Information