User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: List of products that have "downsized".

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

TOILET PAPER!!!! I have a really old toilet paper holder in my bathroom and it has a 'clip' on each side that holds the tp (not the kind with the plastic stick you insert inside the tp roll). Anyway, the ONLY toilet paper I can now buy is Royale because all others fall off because the roll is narrower! You may still be getting the same number of sheets per roll but they are smaller!! People with the holder that has the plastic stick to insert would probably never notice. Sneaky!
    macw1960 and terry2144 like this.
    Check out my Trade/Wish List here:
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/273700-...-lists-canada/

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kelsie94 View Post
    TOILET PAPER!!!! I have a really old toilet paper holder in my bathroom and it has a 'clip' on each side that holds the tp (not the kind with the plastic stick you insert inside the tp roll). Anyway, the ONLY toilet paper I can now buy is Royale because all others fall off because the roll is narrower! You may still be getting the same number of sheets per roll but they are smaller!! People with the holder that has the plastic stick to insert would probably never notice. Sneaky!
    What! I hadn't noticed this. I thought the manufacturers were simply fluffing it up and giving us less sheets.

Superstore had a special size of Royale TP on sale this week - 40 double rolls for around $16. It's ridiculous how they downsize everything and then go the other way to super-size it. I guess this stops pricematching some items.

Yogurt is another product that has downsized, but it's been that way for a few years. The tub size was 750g and now they are 650g. The lids are still the same circumference, it's just the body of the tub that is smaller. I think the individual cups are smaller too.

Anyone else bothered by those "slim" chocolate bars and smaller cans of Coke? They market them as a way to watch your calories by giving you a smaller product...for the same price as the normal product!
    Ciel, macw1960 and terry2144 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by evengr8erdealz View Post
    Cheese. The large bricks used to be 540g, now they are 500g.
    I remember when they were 600g.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by leda View Post
    I watched a show about this! The companies say that they reduce sizes rather than increasing prices. They say the consumer would rather pay the same price for less, than pay more for the "usual" amount. With prices ever increasing, this is their way of keeping costs to us down. I don't know if I'm buying it, lol.....literally!
    In most cases, I actually would prefer to pay the same amount for a smaller size (although I don't like it when they try to sneak it in.) This way I just end up using less of the product, often without really noticing the difference. I really hate it when they raise the prices instead, because then I have to move things around in my budget or not buy the product at all.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't usually buy these because they are a lot more expensive than buying bulk packages, but I noticed awhile ago that Quaker reduced the number of single serve packages in their instant oatmeal boxes.

Banned
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kelsie94 View Post
    I've noticed that, too! I thought I was just going nutters, because it didn't seem like a huge difference.
    Last edited by Kyeste; Tue, Jan 10th, 2012 at 07:24 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Do you remember when it was actually difficult to get the first facial tissue out of the box because it was so packed with product? Not anymore. There is now an actual gap between the Royale tissues and you have to reach in to get the first one! I can't believe they have downsized this product so much. 72 per box for ultra...didn't the handy purse packs have 25 in them? I vow never to buy it full-price, ever.

And another one...does anyone remember the original weight of Lipton Onion Soup mix pouches? I swear there is only a couple of tablespoons of product now.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just found this thread through a search on 'downsizing', as I am pretty crazy right now about this sleazy, stealth form of upping the profit.

I can't believe there isn't more of a public uproar!!!

The latest of reg items I buy is Bacon ... Now 375g ... see ya 500g ! Lactantia Cream ...473ml ... see ya 500ml Black Diamond Cheese Bars. now 450g, was 500g, 270g ... was 300g [both of these are exactly a 10% decrease, OR in reality an inflationary 10% cost increase to the consumer.

Is there a more current thread on this subject ? I was unable to access the link posted to an earlier program on cbc; archived maybe?

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Schneider mini sizzlers - went from 18 to a new 'convenient size' 12 sausages. price was not reduced by 33%!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

i hate it when they try to hide a size reduction with new packaging --- " a brand new look! same great taste " or some similar bullsh*t
    Ciel, GoJays, macw1960 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Schneiders is closing a plant in KW, ON. Hot dogs will be made in Hamilton in the Maple Leaf plant.
    Quaker instant oatmeal-most packages have only 8 sleeves but one variety had 10 sleeves-when purchased at a grocery store on sale.
    Sibling has commented that McCain's pizzas have been shrinking (Thin Crust, Rising Crust).
    If anyone can still find the Chubby Pop bottles in stores, that size bottle would be ideal for decanting Coke from a large bottle into it for smaller servings. One cannot just pour pop into most plastic containers for carrying to work/sports/activities since the carbonation pushed the lid off. But I have not seen Chubby Pop in Fortino's.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!

I have not had one in years, and decided since they were on sale to buy a couple. Packaging is the same size, but the cups are SO much smaller than what they used to be. I was greatly disappointed.
    Angela273, Ciel, macw1960 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

this was the subject of cbc's marketplace this week:

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

^^^ I watched it last night. Pretty sneaky with the Red Rose Tea Bags. I noticed shopping today that Clover Leaf Salmon has gone from 213g to 170g.
    Angela273 and terry2144 like this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    ^^^ I watched it last night. Pretty sneaky with the Red Rose Tea Bags. I noticed shopping today that Clover Leaf Salmon has gone from 213g to 170g.
    i never would have noticed the size of the tea bags being decreased!

there's nothing we can do about any of it. it sure is frustrating.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information