User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

-International Holodomor Memorial Day is observed on Saturday, November 26. In Canada, this day has been enshrined in both federal and provincial legislation as Holodomor Memorial Day.

It's been 78 years since Josef Stalin perpetrated the Holodomor in Ukraine - the deliberate starvation of millions of Ukrainians. Seven to 10 millions of lives were suddenly eradicated by starvation, one of the most ruthless forms of torture and death.

Holodomor, (based on two Ukrainian words: holod - 'hunger, starvation, famine,' and moryty - 'to induce suffering, to kill'), was an act of genocide against the Ukrainian people committed by the Soviet Communist regime in 1932-33.

• At the height of the Holodomor Ukrainian villagers were dying at the rate of 25,000 per day or 1,000 per hour or 17 per minute.
    • Children comprised one-third of the Holodomor victims in Ukraine. Large numbers of children were orphaned and became homeless.
    • The Ukrainian population was reduced by as much as 25 percent.

Stalin accomplished genocide against Ukraine by two means. One was massive executions and deportations to labor camps. But his second tool of murder was more unique: an artificial famine created by confiscation of all food.
    In 1929, the Central Committee of the Soviet Union's Communist Party decided to embark on a program of total collectivization. Private farms were to be completely replaced by collective. The government owned everything — the land, animals, equipment, and produce. The worker kept no fruits of his labor.
    For more info -
    http://thenewamerican.com/history/european/761

In my own family, luckily my paternal grandfather came to Saskatchewan from Ukraine in 1927 - knowing things were getting bad there. My grandmother and father, who was then nine years old, were able to come to Canada in 1929.

May the memory of the victims of the Holodomor be eternal - Вічная Їм Память.”

This thread is currently associated with: London Drugs, New York Fries, Nine West
    Last edited by Natalka; Sat, Nov 26th, 2011 at 07:27 AM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Wow, thanks for posting, interesting how Hitler is always made out to be the "worst of the worst". This is even worse.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

A very sad time in history.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Yes, I remember those stories when I was growing up, and the special mass this time of year, although as a kid I really didn't comprehend the magnitude...that came later.
    There still remains such a hatred for the Russians, particularly among the older folks, although of course the subsequent generations aren't responsible...

Thank you for posting this, Natalka....I'll keep our people in my prayers today...Hugs...Lynn

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Wow. I just read this to DH and neither of us had heard of it. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. What a sad time.

There are some awful, ruthless people in this world.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Thank you for sharing, I didn't know about this. Horrible to imagine the suffering. and the agony of parents unable to feed their children.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I actually saw a documentary about this, it's shocking! If I remember the name I will post it so other people can hear about it
    Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Get up to 18 GB in free online storage when you sign-up using this link -> http://db.tt/218DjYg

Trading Score
    100 (99%)

I remember studying this in high school. Very sad indeed.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

There are some incredibly unpleasant video links attached to that link...sorry!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Stories like these are why I lose it whenever I hear people claiming that Canada has become a "police state."
    Last edited by abbasgirl; Sat, Nov 26th, 2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: typo

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I agree with you abbasgirl.

Esp the whole "the govt are stopping you saying X,Y,Z" cos they aren't and can't..

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thank you nat for posting this, what evil has been done
    to so many.
    and obviously so glad that your dad's family was able to escape

In my own family, luckily my paternal grandfather came to Saskatchewan from Ukraine in 1927 - knowing things were getting bad there. My grandmother and father, who was then nine years old, were able to come to Canada in 1929.

May the memory of the victims of the Holodomor be eternal - Вічная Їм Память.”

[/QUOTE]
    if you have some spare time

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I had no clue about this... Never learned about this in HS. Thank you for posting!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I want to say my heart is warmed by those of you who stopped by this thread to read and/or comment, plus those of you who commented to me and asked questions.

Today at our Cathedral, there will be a Holodomor memorial service following the regular Liturgy - this is happening at churches around the world; I read a beautiful posting about the one done in Paris (one doesn't think of Ukrainians in Paris, but we are everywhere!). Many schools have also had commemorations, as well as in provincial legislatures which have marked this week.

The Ukrainian community in Canada, through the Ukrainian Canadian Congress, did fundraising over the fall and, with matching contribution from the federal government, over $200,000 has been donated to Somalia for direct famine relief.

There are many stories online, but this is one I wanted to share, of a survivor who now lives in Vancouver
    http://www.theprovince.com/news/must...090/story.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information