User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PS3 dilemma

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I need your advice, please.

I wish to get a PS3 console (I've wanted one for years!), and planned to get it on the Mega Redemption on December 4 (I can't go before Sunday morning). It is my first Mega Redemption, so exciting!

But... I saw in the flyer that the PS3 160 gb console (without any game) is on sale next weekend November 26-27th ($249.88 - the regular price is $299.99). I don't know if the PS3 will be on sale on the Mega Redemption weekend too...

So here are my options:

I buy the ps3 the next weekend at $249.88, and then spend my 95,000 points on "useful" things (groceries, soap, etc) at the Mega Redemption.

I wait for the Mega Redemption (but I don't know if the PS3 will be on sale then, and I don't know either if my SDM store will still have it in stock).

Another option would be to buy the new PS3 320 gb Bundle with Move System and with the new game "Everybody Dance", which is on sale at EB-Games and Zellers for 299.99 until December 1st.

What should I do?????

Thanks for your advice!
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart, Zellers

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

This will depend on the age of your kids. In my case, my boys play call of duty on multiplayer, and or GTA IV, so option 3 would have been a waste of money.

So - if you can afford to buy it without a mega redemption when it likely will not be on sale, go for it now at SDM since you'll get 16000 BP for buying it too.

Just my 2 cents

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Well we tossed around the same ideas like you did... then bought ours at the 20X day and got 10,000 BP for it. Chris got one game, Grand Theft Auto 4 for $19.99 too. Now we are waiting for the MR day to get another controller for it plus stuff for us.

We have enough for $250.00 as well, thanks to buying the PS3 on 20X day!

Note about games: Chris went to EB games and paid $19.99 for a used copy of NHL 11. They guarantee it works and for $2 more he got a year warranty on it too in case it gets scratched or damaged.... I think we will be shopping there for games... why pay full price???

I say go for it now and get the BP, why take the risk that there might be some left for Redemption Day, when you know that everyone is going for them that day!

Good Luck
    Is it baseball season yet?

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Deb I am not sure where u are but several stores have PS3 as a stock item now...if you are in Toronto I can help guide you to one. and I beleive there are bonus points this week for some systems...

$249 is now the regular retail price point for ps3 just about everywhere. The price dropped about 2 weeks ago. I don't feel there is a need for the 360gb console for the average family. It only comes with one controller and basic cables. You may need HDMI Cables if u have an HDTV. Dollar rama has them for $5

There is another 20x the points event coming up soon I believe it is the second week of Dec. I bought mine that way and received 50,000 points which is worth 85.00 dollars on a regular redemption bringing the effective price down to $165...cheaper than black Friday sales in the states!

feel free to message me if you like.
    Last edited by CurEuS; Thu, Nov 24th, 2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: changed number values to be more accurate

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was wondering the same thing for the PS3, I didnt buy at 20X the points and I am worried I wont get one on mega redemption day, so I have decided to transfer points to my mom's card and redeem today on Seniors day.
    I figure it will cost me a bit more, but I will be guaranteed one and nowhere else discounts these gaming systems by 20%.
    Plus my local shoppers doesnt have any in stock, so I would have to drive 60k early in the morning in hopes of getting on on MRD!

Here is my plan... PS3 249.99 - 20% seniors discount = 199.99 -170.00 for 95000 pts redemption + 29.99 difference + 24.00 Taxes - Total $53.99 + 10000 Bonus points.

If I wait until Mega redemption day, it would be 249.99 - $250 for 9500pt redemption + $30.00 taxes.

It is worth the extra $23.99 to guarantee myself one and really after the $10SDM gift card bonus today for seniors, I will really only be spending $13.99 more than if I waited for MRD

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I'd say wait.
    The stores near me have sooo many out & I'm sure they have more in the back.

But thats up to you.
    You can also factor in the 10th is 20x the points again!
    Get free gift cards for amazon & paypal. I've earned $100's with the click of my mouse!
    Swagbucks: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/TremorKitty
    Superpoints is BACK! https://www.superpoints.com/join/5Gp...0VOe51KdfmpCzw

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sassylass View Post
    I was wondering the same thing for the PS3, I didnt buy at 20X the points and I am worried I wont get one on mega redemption day, so I have decided to transfer points to my mom's card and redeem today on Seniors day.
    I figure it will cost me a bit more, but I will be guaranteed one and nowhere else discounts these gaming systems by 20%.
    Plus my local shoppers doesnt have any in stock, so I would have to drive 60k early in the morning in hopes of getting on on MRD!

Here is my plan... PS3 249.99 - 20% seniors discount = 199.99 -170.00 for 95000 pts redemption + 29.99 difference + 24.00 Taxes - Total $53.99 + 10000 Bonus points.
    Check with your SDM if they'll let you use the seniors discount. All of them around me told me they couldn't sell it to me with the seniors discount as they'd be losing money on it.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Has anyone thought of purchasing the PS3 on the 2nd and then bringing it in to "return" it for a full refund on mega redemption day. They just buy it again with the points? This way you know it will be in stock? Is this not allowed? I'm surprised no one has thought of this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you everybody for your advice!

Well, I will have to think about all this. There has been a price drop on the PS3, indeed, and the regular price for the 160 gb console is now $249.99 everywhere, except at SDM.

At SDM, the PS3 console is on sale for $249.99 on Nov 26 and 27, and after that it goes back to their regular price of $299.99...

Unfortunately, I was not able to go shopping at the last 20x day, and I can't go either on the next 20x day on Dec. 10... So it seems that my choices are:

- buy next weekend at 249.99
    - or buy on the mega redemption day at 299.99

Choices, choices...

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Totter View Post
    Check with your SDM if they'll let you use the seniors discount. All of them around me told me they couldn't sell it to me with the seniors discount as they'd be losing money on it.
    I was able to do it today no problem. They didn't say it was a problem and the store manager had set it aside for me until my mom could go into sdm with me. He knew my plan, but didn't say it was a problem?
    I am learning about SDM points as I go, and it seems to me that different stores have different rules. If I had redeemed on mega redemption day they would have made less money, as I would have got it totally free before taxes. so it is strange that they would say that.
    Thanks for the info though, I would have been so disappointed if they wouldnt let me do it.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There is a old thread on here from last year that states the price was 299.99 at SDM, but at all the SDM stores near me the reg price is 249.99.
    I would check with your local SDM as the reg price should be 249.99.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I can't see how they can sell it at $299 on redemption day...the price is set by Sony, Shoppers has 3 models. One basic 160gb with one controller no games 249.99, one with 2 games one controller 160gb 299.00 and one bundle with 360gb for $299 (or something close to that)

Let me know if u are in Toronto and I'll check my local stores I have 8 within 5km! They may allow you to prepurchase it for redemption day...(leave your SDM card and the taxes with the manager or give your card to a friend to do for it for you, or transfer points to someone you trust if SDM is picky about ID) If you have enough points for redemption you are clearly a good customer they should value that.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sassylass View Post
    There is a old thread on here from last year that states the price was 299.99 at SDM, but at all the SDM stores near me the reg price is 249.99.
    I would check with your local SDM as the reg price should be 249.99.
    I paid $249 a month ago when they had the bonus redemption and that was their "regular" price.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well, my SDM (I live in the province of Quebec) still sells the 160 gb PS3 at 299.99. I checked the price today. It is unfair...

Oh, look at the Ontario and BC flyers for next week:
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/254064-...2011-a-canada/
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/254002-...2011-a-canada/

Both say:
    PS3 160 gb console: 249.99 on Nov 26-27, then ROW 299.99.

And the Quebec flyer shows exactly the same...

Maybe I should call my SDM and ask them for the price... I have 4 SDM in my city. So I'll make some phone calls.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes give them a call, I believe the one in the flyer comes bundled with games
    and is reg 299.99, the 160gb system without games is reg 249.99.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information