User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

There was time when December 1st was a lot more significant in the retail industry. It used to be the begining of the month where stores were allowed to stay open until 9p.m. every night until Christmas. Now with so many stores open until 9 anyways it seems like this date has very little meaning.

Anyone else remember when stores only opened until 5 everyday? When you had to withdraw money out of the bank and make it last because there was no Interac? Credit card transactions were done on a hand held machine and the cashier had to call for authorization if it was over $50? I even remember when Costco first opened and they used to call out the code to the cashier and they would punch it in!!! OMG

All hail UPC scanners.

Feeling a little old right now. lol
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

Oh, I remember this... but I was very young when it was like that
    Dad was going to the bank on thursday or friday, the line up was very long but pay day was thursday and no way to get money on the week-end if you didn't go to the bank on thursday/friday.

yep I remember in my child memories and now sometime I try to do the same. Go to the bank before the week-end, get money for the week-end for activities I have plan and that's it. Very hard at the beginning for someone who had a debit card before 18 years old. But this help to reduced the frivolous or un-needed purchase
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

I remember when I didn't have to work Sundays because stores were closed then. I miss those days .
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Somewhere between Sherbrooke and Montréal
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I remember it!! But I was young! Store, until wednesday, where open until five and til 6 after that.
    Tigre Géant being closed on Sunday.
    Putting money into an enveloppe to make a deposit and having a booklet to keep track.

Trading Score
    87 (100%)

OMG! I remember this too. I even remember the stores closed on Sundays.
    I remember when the pay day was thursday night with a cheque, not direct deposit.
    Patty, I'm maybe a bit old too .

Do you remember the first ATM?
    More savings and tips? Go see this site.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saradouce View Post
    Putting money into an enveloppe to make a deposit and having a booklet to keep track.
    Hey, I still do my banking like that, lol .

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I remember line ups in stores the first week-end of december. Decorations din't go up until then and not November 1st. I remember working at the bakery very long hours 2 and 3 weeks prior to Christmas eve.

I also remember saving more then, because I din't have a debit card, I spent what I had in my pockets and if for some reason I needed or wanted some thing I would actually have it laiw a way for 2 weeks and then paye it in full. Those where the days.

I try to do the same with my kids although it's very hard because now a days you can get any thing right away.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

It would be quite and experiment to see how much we rely on Interac, online banking etc.

You know considering how many times my account has been comprimized I should carry cash and py that way. It may stop people from stealing my card number all the time lol.

Does anyone go dowtown to see the Christmas display in Ogilvy's window? Is it still done every year?

Oh I thought of another thing too. Remember when the Bay and other big stores would give you nice boxes if you were buying a gift to give? The white boxes with the red bows painted on them lol

Remember before Sunday shopping Cohoes always broke the law and opened up on SUndays and it was always crazy busy.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    It would be quite and experiment to see how much we rely on Interac, online banking etc.
    Maybe a poll to see what everyone uses/doesn't use?

Oh, and The Bay use to give lots of tissue paper with the boxes too!

Remember Consumer Distributing? Bonimart? Miracle Mart? Steinbergs? Car service line-ups where your groceries were put in a plastic box on a conveyor belt and you didn't have to carry them to your car (I learned my numbers and alphabet with those paper ticket stubs when I was little)? Having to pay 10 cents to use the public washrooms in Bonimart? (My mother used to make me crouch under the doors to unlock from the inside...talk about frugal .)

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Cumberland, Wise stores, Lawharehouse(L'equipeur), Pascals, Towers, Canada Tire, Mac's

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

As for Interac I can tell you from my bank statement I have unlimited transactions and thank goodness I do because i use it over 50 times a month for sure

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

I remember our grocery store was re-using the package box to put your grocery in. No extra need for a "green bag" they were just re-using what they have anyway (carton box) instead putting them in a recycling bin.

Someone remember Wolco?
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 2010ontest View Post
    I remember our grocery store was re-using the package box to put your grocery in. No extra need for a "green bag" they were just re-using what they have anyway (carton box) instead putting them in a recycling bin.

Someone remember Wolco?
    Yeah Woolco and Kmart, the kmart that was near my house was bigger than a Walmart Supercentre

Trading Score
    211 (100%)

ohhh i feel old now!! I use to go to wolco with my pocket $ from babysitting and get records (45 tours) for the WAY to young ones reading this, they are round things that played music before all the technology madness… hahaha, sniff, damn...)

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Simpson's !!!
    Sam the Record Man.

Those were the days.
    Last edited by super_e; Thu, Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:56 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information