User Tag List

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

...this is a good natured way to do it. *L* I would love to see it go far above the $800 mark...and go viral on the web, as well!

http://www.indiegogo.com/Out-Do-EnCana

Let's keep this thread light, I'm not looking for nasty political debates or large corp bashing or "why this guy's idea won't change anything". I think it's fun and kind of a creative way to make a point!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Just to play devil's advocate, if the company's campaign is to match employee contributions, shouldn't we be coming down harder on employees who only managed to raise $200? Or is it possible that there were several charities being supported & the total that the company donated was closer to $2,000? Or even $20,000?

Would this story have the same impact if it were Loblaws or Safeway or London Drugs?

I'd love to know what the real story is (this sounds way too one-sided).

My favourite quotation has always been: "There are three sides to every story - your side, my side & the truth."

Thanks OP for what should be a fun discussion.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Encana's Corporate Responsibility page. Looks like the article forgot to mention they have a community programme etc....... as always it's what you don't see or hear that tells the full story.

Not that I'm for big oil and gas lol

http://www.encana.com/responsibility/investment/

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Follow-up article...
    http://mile0city.ca/article/news/201...ouse-%E2%80%98

It looks like the community will easily double the original donation. A wonderful thing for the transition house involved!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

At least I'm not being asked to boycott all outlets on a certain day.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

No.

I'm against vilifying our energy companies. They are providing what we need. If they listened to the people protesting against them and took it to heart, they'd shut themselves down. And 4 seconds later lights would go out across North America (Yes, we keep lights on in the US). And then society would collapse and millions would die in the anarchy that followed.

But environmentalists are idealists. And idealists don't have the first friggin clue about the real world.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Thank you for your posts!

I am not into vilifying oil companies. I thought the original newspaper article and the campaign to "Outdo Encana" to raise funds for charity was a clever way to harness existing tension in this part of the country to raise funds for a good cause.

I am not into vilifying environmentalists, either. I know a lot of people on different sides of the story, so I know it is far more complicated that saying "oil companies are evil" or "environmentalists are idealists" (subtext: idiots?) I also live in the middle where the action is happening, so might have a more balanced perspective compared to people who don't live anywhere near oil projects, have never worked in the oil industry, or on the other side of the coin, have never had their farmland ruined and property values debased by the installation of pipelines, roads, and fracking equipment.

An interesting and very complicated topic!

Thread Information