User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Shopper's Optimum MasterCard changing ownership

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This may already be known .. I just got off the phone for a card replacement and was told RBC is getting the Optimum card and an info packet is to mailed out to card holders in the near future.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
    I have nothing to do today and hope to be half done by noon.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

yes , i got the phone call too,, hubby will kill me if i ask to sign up for this one

3 changes ,, first it was cibc, then mbna, now this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Yup I got a letter from SDM MC 2 weeks ago hinting that RBC is taking over the credit card, I'm really happy with this development.

There is a FAQ section in SDM website regarding the conversion of Shopper's Optimum MC to RBC:

Are existing Shoppers Optimum MasterCard credit cards being converted to the new RBC Shoppers/Pharmaprix Optimum MasterCard?
    RBC has announced plans to acquire the Shoppers Optimum MasterCard credit card portfolio subject to the receipt of regulatory approvals and other conditions. Upon completion, RBC expects to transfer the Shoppers Optimum MasterCard credit cards into the RBC Shoppers Optimum MasterCard credit card program. No action is necessary by existing cardholders and they may use their card as normal and continue to earn valuable Shoppers Optimum. Stay tuned for more information coming this fall.

More FAQs here:

http://rbcroyalbank.shoppersdrugmart...card-faqs.html#

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    yes , i got the phone call too,, hubby will kill me if i ask to sign up for this one

3 changes ,, first it was cibc, then mbna, now this.
    There is no need for you to sign up if you currently have a Shoppers Optimum Mastercard. It will be automatically converted. No need to worry about the hubby
    CSLT likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was thinking of cancelling my optimum MC because I often use the smart cash MC instead due to the rewards being better. Maybe when RBC takes over they'll have a points promotion to get people to apply to the card again and I'll sign back up then.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuckoobird View Post
    There is no need for you to sign up if you currently have a Shoppers Optimum Mastercard. It will be automatically converted. No need to worry about the hubby

too late i applied for the rbc mastercard and it will be here in 10 days,, now i will have 2

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

When they convert the mbna optimum cards to the rbc one, will we get the 15,000 bp sign up bonus that they're offering when you apply for the new rbc optimum cards? Anyone know?

Silk
    Have a great life!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    When they convert the mbna optimum cards to the rbc one, will we get the 15,000 bp sign up bonus that they're offering when you apply for the new rbc optimum cards? Anyone know?

Silk
    I really doubt it as we already got the bonus points when we signed up for the MBNA mastercard. I think the bonus points is to attract new customers.

I'm really tempted to sign up with RBC as it's not certain when the conversion will take place. I might as well take advantage of 15,000 BP.

It's also a big deal for me to view my transactions online as I use my Optimum mastecard for almost everything.
    Last edited by Cuckoobird; Thu, Sep 27th, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
    Silk likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It's now the RBC Optimum Mastercard. I'm not sure how things will be transferred over. Thanks to those who found out.
    Last edited by michiemoo; Tue, Oct 2nd, 2012 at 09:36 AM.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Silk
    I really doubt it as we already got the bonus points when we signed up for the MBNA mastercard. I think the bonus points is to attract new customers.

I'm really tempted to sign up with RBC as it's not certain when the conversion will take place. I might as well take advantage of 15,000 BP.

It's also a big deal for me to view my transactions online as I use my Optimum mastecard for almost everything.
    I checked out the card and the 15k points are awarded with first purchase. So we should be getting new cards and that should mean we'll get the points after our first purchase on the new card.

Silk
    Cuckoobird and lealgen like this.
    Have a great life!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I checked out the card and the 15k points are awarded with first purchase. So we should be getting new cards and that should mean we'll get the points after our first purchase on the new card.

Silk
    But this is new card for existing account so I don't know if we can get the 15000points again. I'll wait and see, it seems like a lot of trouble to cancel the mbna mc and apply for a new rbc one just to get 15k points.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Silk
    Which card is it? Did you get a new one already?

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    But this is new card for existing account so I don't know if we can get the 15000points again. I'll wait and see, it seems like a lot of trouble to cancel the mbna mc and apply for a new rbc one just to get 15k points.
    According to SDM webpage, the conversion will take place in the fall. I really hope it does take place soon. The only reason why I'm not applying for RBC card is due to the fact that credit card application will affect my credit score. I just almost did it though

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

[QUOTE=Cuckoobird;5025751]Which card is it? Did you get a new one already?

The new RBC Shoppers Optimum MC. You get 15000 optimum points with your first purchase using the credit card.

I have the MBNA Optimum. When I saw that RBC came out with the new one, I applied for it not knowing that RBC will eventually takeover all the existing MBNA cards. But it is so nice to be able to view the statement and transactions online. So sick of waiting for my MBNA statement to come in the mail. And the bonus 15000 points is nice.
    newb likes this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

[QUOTE=momo28;5026545]

The new RBC Shoppers Optimum MC. You get 15000 optimum points with your first purchase using the credit card.

I have the MBNA Optimum. When I saw that RBC came out with the new one, I applied for it not knowing that RBC will eventually takeover all the existing MBNA cards. But it is so nice to be able to view the statement and transactions online. So sick of waiting for my MBNA statement to come in the mail. And the bonus 15000 points is nice.
    I thought you could see online statements with the MBNA Optimum card -- at least before TD took it over. I never did it as I'm not a fan of online banking but I remember someone saying it was an option.

Silk
    Have a great life!

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post

According to SDM webpage, the conversion will take place in the fall. I really hope it does take place soon. The only reason why I'm not applying for RBC card is due to the fact that credit card application will affect my credit score. I just almost did it though
    Sorry for the late response -- I just saw your posts today

So this is what I did... I have an rbc cc card that I have not been using. I called rbc and asked about changing it to the optimum cc card. I specifically wanted t know if I would get the 15k optimum points promo if I changed cards or would I need to apply for a new card to get the promo. The rbc agent said I would get the 15k pts even when I just changed cards because I would be getting a totally different/new card and the promo on that card is 15k pts after your first purchase on the card. So I didn't have to apply for it, they are just converting my old rbc card to the rbc optimum cc.

If you have an mbna optimum cc -- and I do also -- they will be changing that card to the rbc optimum cc card. You don't need to cancel your current card or apply for the new rbc optimum card -- it will be automatic (that's what SDM otpimum said in the letter they sent out). So this should not affect any credit scores since we are trading one card for another (You'll have the same # of cc's and probably the same credit limit.)

As far as the 15k pts promo -- I'm concluding from my above convo with rbc that since the mbna converted to the rbc optimum cc will be a different/new card for us, we should be getting the 15k pts with our first purchase on that card too. Does that make sense? If someone *knows* differently, please share

Silk
    Last edited by Silk; Sun, Oct 21st, 2012 at 02:31 AM.
    newb and Cuckoobird like this.
    Have a great life!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information