User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cabmonk View Post
    Like I said I'm 38 and even back in high school I saw it a lot. and it wasn't one complaint about people being hugged that didn't want it, there were rampant complaints. I can say that if that was back then in the late 80's I can only imagine how things have gotten since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    38 and you were high school in the late 90s?

I'm 41 and graduated in 1988. I can see why people didn't want you hugging them.

Bloody youngsters.....waves stick at the lot of you....

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

38 and you were high school in the late 90s?

I'm 41 and graduated in 1988. I can see why people didn't want you hugging them.
    With the two of you guys, I'm laughing so much that I'm crying.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Stephen doesn't strike me as the hugging type.
    When you're right, you're right. more the handshake type.

(I googled for the pic of him shaking his children's hands on their first day of school in Ottawa 5 years ago, but couldn't find it).

I am all for not hugging and let me tell you why. If it is explained properly to the kids then they will understand that they are spreading so many GERMS. My daughter tells me she is always hugging or being hugged and she is always coming home with some bug or another. Last week she missed 4 days because of pink eye for crying out loud. Last year she missed 20 days because of various bugs. Limited contact would cut down so much on the spread of germs and of course there is always the lice issue.

Schools are cesspools of germs.
    Bah. We have vaccinations against the stuff that can do you in, but our immune system needs the practice against lesser bugs. Otherwise it atrophies and we wind up in critical care when we get the flu at 40. Our immune system is a 'use it or lose it' type thing.

As for lice, they are inconvenient and take a lot of effort to eradicate. But they have no negative health effects. Whatsoever. I know. My 5 year old brought them home last year from school. A lot of work to get rid of them - washing every piece of laundry in the house, and the couches, bedding, everything. But still worth it compared to telling him he can't have any contact with another human being. That's just sad. "Don't touch another kid, they might have cooties!" Yeesh.
    Last edited by DaveP; Mon, Dec 5th, 2011 at 09:41 PM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_April View Post
    That is true. Seen that before, but to ban young children from hugging? Just silly.

I better get my order for my zorb started now, my future children will clearly need one
    I'm seeing the young children in my neighbourhood "hugging" and it's looks a lot more than a hug - like something they would see on the CW television station, on Gossip Girl or Heart of Dixie.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Bah. We have vaccinations against the stuff that can do you in, but our immune system needs the practice against lesser bugs. Otherwise it atrophies and we wind up in critical care we get the flu at 40. Our immune system is a use it or lose it type thing.
    True Dat.
    But some parents don't want to immunize any more.
    So some things are coming back, and with a vengence.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    131 (100%)

I think that in this day and age when kids spend so much time in front of a screen (either tv, video games or computer) they need more human interaction and sometimes just a hug to remind them that the person who is teasing them or the cyberbully that is attacking them on line is not the only type of person out there. I understand that boys will hug for other reasons- anyone who knows men knows what is almost always on their minds. The girls get this. They would understand banning hugging between boys and girls, they also understand that hugging between teachers and students is unacceptable. (even though my daughter has a favourite teacher that has always supported her and who she calls her school mom that she occasionally sneaks a hug to). The issue the kids are having is 1. that they girls are not allowed to hug each other under any circumstances and 2. even the little ones are getting yelled at by teachers and volunteer staff on yard duty for hugging. I think there are more important issues going on that should be addressed such as bullying and poor self image since these kids are growing up in a society that is trying to make them grow up much too fast and were all the boys want to have abs by the age of 10 and all the girls want to look like the girls on magazine covers.

My daughters friend went through a very difficult time with an eating disorder and recently returned to school after a long absence. As soon as she returned the girls were so excited to see her they ran to hug her. Right away they all got in trouble for it by the teacher on duty. What should have been a happy reunion turned into the girls trying to defend the right to show their affection and joy to this girl that really really needed their support.

Sorry but maybe if there was more hugging their would be less teen depressions or acts of teen violence. As for germs, I think in the long run they make you stronger because they help build up your immunity. I know it sucks as a mom when your kids are sick-mine just had the flu this past week but our society is starting to get obsessed with germs. We vaccinate for everything. I had the chicken pox growing up but all of a sudden chicken pox is deadly. My sister in law is constantly putting purrell on her and her kids. I tell her all the time that we managed to survive childhood without any purrell and the rest of the world is getting by fine without it also. Do you think children in Europe or South America use purrell? Not to knock the hand sanitizers out there but they are chemicals that we are putting on our kids hands and then having them eat with those hands- where do you think the hand sanitizer ends up- in their tiny stomachs. Sorry if I am going to get my head ripped off for these observations- but just my opinion.

As for the hugging, the school has also implemented a no high five ban so basically they are aiming for no physical contact on school property. The children are only allowed to give fake high fives which means they are only allowed to lift up their hands in the air but not actually touch. I think the world is getting colder and people are getting more distant as it is. My kids are warm affectionate people and I love that about them. My older daughter volunteers her time during lunch hours at school to watch the JK and SK class. There are only 3 volunteers on duty at this time- all 3 are grade 8 students. The littles ones always run and hug her. I cant imagine her having to push them away and say sorry no hugs. I understand in todays world everyone is afraid of inappropriate contact with kids. But I am honestly afraid that lack of affection would make this a cold lonely place for most kids.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Well said, julisa!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    131 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Well said, julisa!
    Thanks

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Well said, julisa!
    Ditto on that, and rep sent.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Well let me further my argument. This week I have been in bed with the flu, flat on my back for 3 days. My daughter has a cold again and tells me there are kids constantly kissing and hugging her. Thanks a lot. Now I am going to call the principal. I am never sick until she starts the school year.

You know what I don't give a drity shirt if I get the flu but I care for my 87 year old parents in this house and last time my dad got the flu her nearly died and my mom has alzheimers and is incontenant so you cannot even imagine what it's like to take care of that when she is sick.

I have had to quaratine myself in the basement and my bedroom this week for fear of giving it to them. They have not had their flu shots yet because the nurses that come to the house for the shots said wait a while longer so that the vaccine can cover the whole flu season.(that's if they even got it right this year)

Oh and as for building up the immune system, yeah I am all for it especially because I am allergic to antibiotics so if i get something I am on my own.

On a personal note I am not fond of strangers hugging my child, and by this I mean the people at school. It creeps me out.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

It's unfair to blame schools, in my opinion.

Germs and viruses are just in flow everywhere - coming home from a spouse's workplace, think of all the stores people go shopping in, from the money we use, on the mail the postal carrier brings... absolutely everywhere, and from anything.

Why more colds/flu, etc. in the fall - coinciding with school beginning? Because we are outside less, and are incubating in our homes. Most people exercise less as well. Our cortisol levels get higher from stress, less sunshine, not getting enough sleep - all these things, and more, weaken our immune systems.

Still keeping the faith SillyLoocie's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    131 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SillyLoocie View Post

I know. My kids have gotten in trouble for this also. The had to take the word Christmas out of all the songs they are singing for the winter concert and replace it with either winter or holiday. My son will be singing "On the first day of winter my teacher gave to me". I much prefered when the school celebrated all the holidays during the winter concert. They would have each grade represent one of the holidays (such as christmas, hanukkah, diwali, kwanzaa) by a song or dance. The children loved learning about the other celebrations and it was nice that all of the different cultures were accepted instead of banning them in order to be politically correct. Isnt acceptance of all religions and cultures what we should be striving for instead of hidding them. How can we teach children to accept and respect their differences when we dont educate them and expose them to these differences.

Sorry but sometimes I think things are just common sense but not everyone sees things the way I do.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    131 (100%)

BTW, I think the biggest problem with germs at school is that parents have to work and send their kids to school sick. Sometimes they have no choice but I am sure the kids would rather be home in bed. If you have ever been in a class room, especially with the little ones, they touch everything and share everything especially pencils and crayons. So even if they dont hug, they are still going to come in contact with germs. Teachers should not be giving children medecine at school (which our school does as long as you fill out a form for them). If they are sick and require antibiotics they should be home until they are better.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information