User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I went home for Christmas, stayed at my MIL's farm. They somewhat adopted hubby's highschool buddy almost 25 years ago, as he came from an abusive situation.
    They (we) are all strapped for cash, and, except for the kids, Christmas gifts are often everyday necessities (everyone always gives him socks and underwear, MIL makes everyone homemade socks and jammies).
    I was hunting for a few things for his gift, knowing I could only spend $10 after coupons. After grabbing doederants (save $2 on gillete), mouthwash (lysterine $5 off) and chocolate (AREO FPC) for the stocking, I had pulled the airwick kit (I had a MIR), and 2 packs of refills (b1g1), that would make his little house smell like cookies instead of cigarettes. But then I saw them. PURINA ONE TRIAL SIZE! Back went the airwick.
    I thought "nobody ever gives him toys". Yes, he's 40, but who doesn't love nerf guns? Especially when they are ex-artillery. I had bought some for my boys the day before... I grabbed 2 more. This $70 bill came to $8 and change!
    Christmas morning my hubby handed my youngest a gift from Santa... a nerf gun (squeels of delight!). He then hands his buddy a gift from santa (not something he's recieved before?)... "OH! I get to be a SNIPER AGAIN! NERF GUN!" he squeeled.
    In this house, what is on the box is not often what's inside, as boxes get recycled for odd shaped gifts... and he was reminded of this. His face dropped for a second as he busted into the box, and squeeled again as he saw it did contain the toy.
    Hubby handed my older son a gift from santa... not a nerf gun. His buddy's face dropped as he asked if santa made a mistake.
    Hubby smiled and said santa doesn't make mistakes.
    Eventually all 4 of the guys opened their nerf guns and spent most of the day running around the farm laughing and shouting "HEAD SHOT"... pictures of them "mommy hunting" got posted on facebook. One of them showed my 8 year old how to use the lazer pointer to get perfect aim.
    The bullets were mostly mangled after 3 days of hard play, so the 50% off Zellers coupon was perfect. I took hubby and the kids in, each grabbing a box of nerf refills.
    Absolutely perfect.
    This thread is currently associated with: Air Wick, Purina, Zellers

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Christmas does bring out the kid in all of us! Great deal hunting.
    Now working on Christmas 2012 through SwagBucks.
    Earning free gift cards! ___________________________________
    Every Penny Counts : I welcome you to read my blog on my finds, deals, sales, coupons, freebies

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

WOW, what a fabulous story. I am so impressed with your thoughtfulness and your kind heart. You just made my day reading this has reminded me how kind people truly are. Congrats to you and your dh for making a fabulous christmas happen and showing so many people that you don't have to spend a fortune to make it a truly memorable christmas. WTG!!!!!
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

What a sweet story

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

aww cute story!

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

nice.. but just curious.. is the Purina One a nerf gun.. I thought it was the name of a dog food.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Sorry MrsSunshine... yeah, I found the purina one trial size dog food (about 30) and had the $2.50 coupons expiring Dec 31. I used overage to get the nerf guns on 2 transactions (I dashed out to the van to empty the bags of their coupons and dashed back in). The cashiers at Zellers were unsure about letting my transaction through, but the store manager came over and told them it was all good, and actually congradulated me on my savings. Then he sugested I go friend Zellers on facebook for the 50% coupon. This is one of the few stores I've heard an announcement over the intercom congradulating store employee's for helping a customer to save $.
    And, if anyone was wondering, the dog food was not wasted... I have a newfie who adores the green bag and a poodle who likes the red bag, so everyone was happy.

Saddly this is one of the Zellers locations closing soon, to be changed into a small Walmart I believe.
    Last edited by iggysbabysitter; Mon, Jan 2nd, 2012 at 02:04 PM.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

heh no worries. sounds like you made a lot of ppl happy including the dog.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Great post! Very sweet and funny

Trading Score
    82 (100%)

Happy New Year and Happy Savings for 2012!

HMW
    Female
    CaToonie
    Trading Score
    123 (100%)

Love it! Happy new years

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

As someone already mentioned that is the true spirit of Christmas......

Awesome deal.. You cant be located in Calgary as our Zellers have a kinniption at the mear sight of on of those 2.50 on any bag Purina cpn..lol!!

I had an employee last week at another company, tell me ""thats just not right"" many times over, shaking his head, asking me how much they cost elsewhere, and why was I buying them there.lol!! Got my overages though....
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/29636...6361680429066/
    Join Calgary Coupon Stacking Club Face Book page, for great info all about stacking your savings back into your pockets.

Trading Score
    297 (100%)

Awesome story!!

I left so many of the Purina One coupons at Zellers before they expired! No trial sizes left in town

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

Wonderful story. Hope you did manage to sneak in a little goodie for yourself as well.
    Looking for FPC for almost everything. Growing teen boy eating me out of house and home. Visit my facebook page www.facebook.com/UneekCreations Will trade finished product from my Etsy shop.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

Sounds like a Christmas to remember. Very nice story.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information