User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Two years ago in my hometown of 2500, a large factory closed that put hundreds out of work. Unfortunately my parents both worked there - my father losing his job after 32 years (dropped out of highschool at 16 to work there full time). My mother however had more experience in the factory and ended up getting to keep her job until recently when she was handed her severance pay and walked away. My parents both have been an incredible inspiration to me. My father spent some time working at home on our property and then went to school to get his AZ and DZ license. He is now doing long haul (something he has always wanted to do!) and traveling to Texas, Florida and sometimes western Canada. After being laid off, my mother got her grade 12, took some computer classes, got her smart serve, and is currently working on a safe food handling class. Their jobs diminishing at the factory were not looked at as a loss to them, but an opportunity to do something new, try something they have always wanted to try!

I myself have graduated with an Advanced Diploma recently, but moved to London, ON to support my bf's career choice. I have been out of work for 7months now, and my unemployment JUST ran out. I have applied to 25 jobs career related and 50+ not related to my field of study. 8 of those 25 I have had interviews, and only 1 of those 50+ I got an interview from.
    8 times I have been told that someone with more experience has received the position.

So... my advice to you, and all of you who are currently biting their finger nails, LIVING and BREATHING employment advertisements, job applications, resume & cover letter writing...
    1. After an interview, find out who you can call to follow up! The waiting game is awful! I call after 5 business days and ask if a decision has been made, and if I am not successful, WHY. All of the people I have called give me a reason.
    2. Job search every day! Some job advertisements are only active for like 5 days! If you are the first to find it, and first to show up at that place with a resume in hand - it shows you WANT IT.
    3. If given the choice of email, mail, fax or in person - go in person!!
    4. Take time to smell the flowers...for real. My version of this is going to the gym 4 days a week and I tan twice a week (this is especially nice in the winter!).
    5. Stay positive - I know this is sooo flippin hard sometimes...but you have to. And when I say stay positive, be honest with yourself... If you totally bombed an interview, admit it, and just tell yourself... maybe they will see through the interview jitters and see the real you!
    6. Learn something new to fill that void! I learned and am still learning - how to use coupons! That keeps me quite busy and of course helps me save money! I am also learning how to cook...better! Meal planning is so difficult sometimes! haha

Anyways, I wish you the best! And hope this holiday season helps lifts your spirits!

OH - and I have a mega list of websites etc that have job advertisements listed on - pm me if at all interested!
    Step away from my coupon binder and no one gets hurt.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

We are all in this together. Thank you to everyone posting their stories and situations.
    Now working on Christmas 2012 through SwagBucks.
    Earning free gift cards! ___________________________________
    Every Penny Counts : I welcome you to read my blog on my finds, deals, sales, coupons, freebies

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good Luck to everyone out there looking for a job. My hubby is in the same situation just graduating uni and hasn't found anything since summer. I've been in and out of employment over the past year. The economy is tough but keep your head up - life throws us all curveballs and we just work through them. for all you guys!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Saskatchewan and Alberta will see the highest grow this year accoarding to the BNN (business channel). We are crying for workers. Signs posted everywhere wanting to hire. Check out saskjobs.ca

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dagney View Post
    Saskatchewan and Alberta will see the highest grow this year accoarding to the BNN (business channel). We are crying for workers. Signs posted everywhere wanting to hire. Check out saskjobs.ca
    Great tip.
    Thanks for sharing.

Met a man on the way back from the airport.
    His home is in Ontario with his wife. Their home town has no jobs available.
    He travels to Alberta to work in the oil industry every 6 weeks.
    The pay is amazing he says.
    He's in his late 50s and won't cry about it.
    They're saving their money and planning their retirement.

Trading Score
    51 (100%)

I'm no expert on looking for work but I can tell you most of if not all the jobs on-line are recruiting agencies and the jobs don't currently exist. They are just looking to add to their database.

My only suggestion is to do some networking and check company websites instead of search engines you'd be surprised what you'll find. Hit top 100 employers to see what companies are out there maybe you were not aware of.

I've been told by many people that it's ruff out there my spouse had a really hard time until recently. He's in sales not something everyone wants to do.

Best of luck Keep your spirits up.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Looking for work is tough. The best way is door to door. Hit the pavement and walk in the door and ask for an application. It is hard, scary, intimidating but it is what works best. I was reading a biography recently by a very wealthy Canadian man (sorry can't remember who it was)..one thing he stated stuck with me..If you are out of work don't stay home waiting for the phone to ring, get involved with your community via volunteering. It opens many doors and leads to many connections and gives you a great feeling for helping out.

Coupon Lov-ah!
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

It's not fun nor easy...but find comfort in the big club you are part of
    People I formally worked at are beginning to lose their houses--defaulting on mortgages or being forced to sell at lose in order to sell
    I got news on Friday--I'm so reluctant to admit it bc I still expect it to evaporate or they'll do a recount so I cant even feel joy at this point!
    The unemployment experience destroyed the confidence..someone pocked me tho!
    And they will pick u too!
    Good luck to everyone looking and hoping..

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by seekingsavings View Post
    Looking for work is tough. The best way is door to door. Hit the pavement and walk in the door and ask for an application. It is hard, scary, intimidating but it is what works best. I was reading a biography recently by a very wealthy Canadian man (sorry can't remember who it was)..one thing he stated stuck with me..If you are out of work don't stay home waiting for the phone to ring, get involved with your community via volunteering. It opens many doors and leads to many connections and gives you a great feeling for helping out.
    I agree with you - hit the pavement is right.

The book guy is talking about networking. 80 per cent of the jobs I got were because of referrals. The other 20 per cent was because the companies were desperate for employees at the time, and times were good (economy).

I still keep in touch with those who helped me get the 80 per cent of the jobs.

Even though I am working, I keep making connections and networking. I could be out of work as easy as the next person, if my company has to find ways of saving money.

Sending positive vibes and prayers to you OP, and to those here looking for work. Hoping for good things for you in the next little while.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

After over five months of looking, my husband got a job at a call center. He had been looking since the end of June. He started on Monday. It's not ideal, but it's work.

Actually he never applied for the job he got, but he was interviewed for another position (didn't get it), but the woman passed his resume on to another department and he got the job.
    Last edited by matrix82; Fri, Dec 9th, 2011 at 08:37 AM.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The passing along the resume to another department is fine if that same company location is going to be where the other job is. It's when you find out that the intended recipient moved your resume offsite or somewhere without asking you first that can be a dealbreaker.

Twice in retail, I had applied to specific stores in two different malls. When I got calls for arranging an interview, one store had failed to tell me it was not for the site applied to but at the other mall (found out when I went to location one for interview-transportation to other location would be a problem -it had to be the store owner who set it up and staff did not know). Second store had passed my resume to another store name affliated with it in same mall and failed to let me know until I was called (different customer groups and I did not know the latter's merchandise at all).

If potential employers can expect some level of professionalism from future employees, reciprocity in the same fashion is expected of the employers--since all those resumes contain information that needs to be kept confidential or secure. Courtesy calls (or emails!), while dampening one's job aspirations, would give jobseekers a bit of a boost knowing that someone took the time to ask permission and to offer to send the resume to a second person/company. Respect works both ways.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

not sure if this will help anyone..but inventory companies are hiring right now...I have worked for one..on and off for 11 years..part time fulll time..the hours are usually quite flexible ..whenever I get a full time job.. I just cut my hours with them to 1 or 2 shifts a month..then I always have a back up job..if something happens at my main job...there are 2 major companies...RGIS and WIS ...good luck

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

oops forgot to mention..no experience needed,,,they train you for everything..

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Gotta say, there are TONS of jobs right now in the Prairies, especially here in Saskatchewan, we actually were not hit by the recession like my Ontario friends, things just keep on booming and growing here, if I were you I would honestly consider moving out here! It's AWESOME! PM me if you want some info.
    www.facebook.com/perduemassageclinic good things come to those who like my page

Trading Score
    194 (100%)

it took me a year to find my current job, and i did temp work here and there in between. dont worry, i know it's tough but it'll come and you'll have a great job soon!
    Want Amazon.ca or other gift cards? Join Swagbucks and Irazoo! $515 redeemed to date.

My blog: http://seapotato.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information