User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: I found out how not to wait in emergency! And also learned what true sadness is

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I ran out of my blood pressure meds a few days ago. Have an appointment with my doc on Monday and figured 5 days without the pills won't be a problem. No.

My heart was racing around suppertime today and my head was pounding. I felt weaker than I've ever felt in my life. Even thinking was hard. You have to kick me in the backside to get me to go to the hospital, But I called a taxi and went.

Waiting room was full but after checking me the triage nurse immediately ushered me into emergency where I was hooked up to machines, no waiting for me! BP was 190/120 pulse was 162. Tachycardia, very dangerous. A pulse rate over 95 is dangerous for someone my age, I was at 162 at rest. The nurse told me my eyes were bulging from the pressure.

Anyway, long story short, they gave me my medication but the doctor wouldn't release me until I'd been observed for a few hours on a heart monitor to make sure things were back to normal.

That's when the sadness part happened. I was in an ER room and an elderly lady was brought in by paramedics. A curtain divided us so I couldn't see her. The paramedic read his report to the attending nurse. She had complained of chest and arm pain and so was brought in. The paramedic read her chart which had numerous health issues, including alzheimers. She was set up on an IV drip and her husband cam in to see her and comfort her.

He called her 'mother' and told her everything was going to be okay. She knew him but not much else. Couldn't remember why she was there. He would explain gently and she would understand, then forget again a few minutes later. And she would ask again what was going on, where am I? He'd tell her again, in gentle loving tones. Over and over. Nobody was there but him most of the time, just me, hidden behind the curtain. He never lost patience, and I could feel the love in his voice for the woman he had spent his life with and who is now dying in the worst way - a memory at a time.

There was more but I don't want to get into it deeply. His name was David, like me, I know because she told him several times that she just wanted to go, she was so tired of being sick and a burden to everyone.

I was in the next gurney with tears rolling down my face, hoping that I would be half the man David is in later life, and hoping even more that I never have to find out, that my wife never suffers like this woman is.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    456 (100%)

I can't even begin how this moved me. It has to be so heartbreaking for that dear man and his wife. I to hope that i can be half the person he is should anything so sad as that befall my husband.

ps. I am glad you are feeling better

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

My friend is dealing with this with his Mom right now. Some days, she reads the newspaper & will carry on an interesting conversation about why the EU failed & which Republican candidate would make a decent president. Other days...she sits at the dining room table while my friend does the dishes & asks, "It's getting late, when will dinner be ready?"

My heart aches for anyone touched by this horrible disease.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Glad you are okay, David.

As for what you witnessed - well, that's true love.
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Happy to hear that you are okay! You behave and no more hospital visits you hear?!
    Last edited by TaraF; Sat, Dec 10th, 2011 at 11:42 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thank you for what you've just shared.it made see more of what is reality and what is true love.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I'm glad you are ok and even glad that you got to witness such a tender moment. A sad moment but still a tender one. My grandmother suffered from that awful disease. It's so mind boggling how someone you've known and loved your entire life all of a sudden doesn't have a clue who you are. Some can get aggressive in the later stages but my grandmother got goofy. I think it made it easier. As hard as it was to accept, she'd suddenly do something silly and make us all smile. One time during a big family meal she suddenly ripped open her blouse and shouted "I got a new bra today, see!". Of course it wasn't a new bra. Another time after my grandfather and her returned from Canadian Tire he found she had "lifted" a pretty little stained glass tree ornament. She had no idea she stole it. She must have picked it up to look at and instantly forgot what she was doing or where she was so just put it in her pocket. I put it on my tree every year.
    DaveP likes this.
    "Never will you get a better psychological subject than a hungry cat" Dr. E. Thorndike
    "Never ask a hungry cat whether he loves you for you alone" L. Camuti

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good to hear that you are okay and your BP meds were filled! Hypertension is not something to be taken lightly so I'm happy you went to the ER. thanks for sharing that special moment you overheard behind the curtain. Working in a hospital, I would say its quite common for children to forget about their ailing older parents. It's always touching to hear stories about how some children still love and care about their parents who are deteriorating so quickly. Thanks again.
    DaveP likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

You made a wise decision to seek medical help...some people are stubborn about it and suffer the consequences. Glad you are better.

Your neighbor story was sad but inspiring at the same time; I imagine the caregiver sees the many wonderful years they had with this person, rather than just what she has become. I always tell my children the importance of respecting and empathizing with older folk...what goes around comes around.
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Your story made me cry. It was a wonderful example of a life of love. So glad you got to the hospital and got tended to. Thanks for sharing.
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    98 (100%)

i love your posts DaveP..even though you make me laugh most of the time, this time you made me cry..that was one true love..
    glad you are feeling good..take care

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

It always amazes me how deeply we can care for one another - in good health and bad. I hope I never have to be in the same position as the woman in the bed next to yours, but if I do, I would wish that my partner would be there for me like that.

Glad you're feeling better as well.

Trading Score
    30 (97%)

I am glad you are better, I have minor high blood pressure, and my headaches are terrible so I can just imagine what you were going through
    Your story about the elderly couple made me cry, Such a terrible disease but what a wonderful Man to be there and so patiently

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

Dave won't your Dr phone in prescription to the pharmacy for you.....my dr here in NW will
    ....just be happy

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information