User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Value Village- Yet another reason to NOT shop there!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Due to many of the reasons previously stated by other posters in this thread, I stopped shopping at Value Village.
    Every year or so, I stop back in and am reminded in several ways why they are not a store that I patronize.
    Last edited by greencanuck; Wed, Mar 28th, 2012 at 01:49 AM.
    TRADING COUPONS: FOOD, DENTAL, SOAP / BODY WASH/DEODORANT, SPECIAL CREAMS, MAKEUP, HEALTH, AIR FRESHNERS, HAIRCOLOUR, CLEANING, HAIRCARE/ SHAMPOO, DIAPERS, SHAVING, PET, MEDICINE,LAUNDRY, STORES, LONDON BUSINESSES, FAST FOOD, BATTERYPRODUCTS, CHILDREN FOOD and TOY, SMOKING CESSATION and lots more ​!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've never had a problem at the VV near me. If I find an item that is missing a price tag, I grab a similar item that has a price tag and the cashier simply uses that price against the non-tag item.
    Mia likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Goodwill charges $2.99 for all adult paperbacks. VV graduates their prices on the original purchase price. Sucks

Trading Score
    205 (100%)

I frequently shop at VV only because we can't afford new. I usually end up saying I will never go back but I always do LOL. I find that they don't check their items over well enough but they are quick to slap a high price tag on it! I don't know how many times I have came home and had to sew holes and fix zippers of clothing items that I paid over $10 for. I always see dollarama items going for $3 and they put out way too many heavily worn and shrunk clothing items. It takes me hours to go through everything because I have to sort through so many worn things to find something decent.
    That being said, I have found a real gold and ivory pin for $2 bucks and I found a nice $100 frying pan for $10. These kind of deals keep me coming back even though most of the time I just walk away frustrated.
    Mia likes this.
    I am looking for quick trades for my pre-surgery stock up!

Updated TL/WL HERE

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Abby5 View Post
    I think it depends on the location....I go to two that are ok...but sometimes they can be expensive but sometimes it is ok. I bought my son's grad suit from one and it was $14.99. I got it dry cleaned $7 and it was perfect!! The cheapest one I found at stores was$98 and it looked like cotton!!! But in general yes it started about 5 yrs ago that they started getting more expensive. And I guess if people still buy it at that price they will still put the price at that!
    It does depend on location completely! Also I think the staff working there. At the Value Village near me they price H&M clothing like it's high end designer and there is rarely ever anything good. They also keep fakes in the display case and try to sell them for $100+ ugh!! I have only gotten one vintage purse and a few dishes at our local VV, but normally I walk out empty handed and rarely ever visit anymore. I've also been to the VV in Kingston and it's way worse for jacking up the prices! I found the cutest dress ever and they wanted $29.99 for it! It was from H&M and I probably could buy it on sale IN H&M for $10. I did however find an Animale skirt (retails for around $250) and it was priced $7.99 only it was three sizes too large
    The other one I hit up is the one near where my sister goes to school. I have scored huge at that location. I picked up a Fendi sweater for $9.99!!!! I'm pretty sure someone missed the tag on that one or didn't realize it was a designer brand otherwise it might have been in the case. They had Fendi sunglasses for $69.99 in the case the same day I picked up the sweater, so I am pretty sure the sweater was overlooked. I also picked up a couple of designer scarves that retail for well over $200. I got one for $1.50 on a half off day, and the other for $2.99 on a regular price day. They also have a really cool vintage section at hers and I have picked up a vintage pair of high waisted slacks for $5.99 and the cutest vintage dress ever for $6.99. I also bought a mother of pearl inlay scarf clip for $2.99.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetnlow30 View Post
    I frequently shop at VV only because we can't afford new. I usually end up saying I will never go back but I always do LOL. I find that they don't check their items over well enough but they are quick to slap a high price tag on it! I don't know how many times I have came home and had to sew holes and fix zippers of clothing items that I paid over $10 for. I always see dollarama items going for $3 and they put out way too many heavily worn and shrunk clothing items. It takes me hours to go through everything because I have to sort through so many worn things to find something decent.
    That being said, I have found a real gold and ivory pin for $2 bucks and I found a nice $100 frying pan for $10. These kind of deals keep me coming back even though most of the time I just walk away frustrated.
    This is soooo true! I always say VV is sooo freaking expensive but it's totally worth it when they overlook something like a designer item. I'm definitely addicted to thrifting and doubt I would stop going even though it is annoying to sift through racks and racks of H&M and mall brand clothing that are priced very close to retail.

All this thrift talk makes me want to go start a "what did you buy at the thrift store" thread. I'm going to search to see if we have one already and if not am going to make one for everyone to post pics of the stuff they have picked up!

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Just started a thread so for everyone that has found some awesome hidden gems while thrifting come post about it and share pics if you can!
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/284266-...a/#post4560502

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

I don't bother shopping there as I personally don't find their prices to be as fantastic as others I guess.

My mom enjoys shopping there so I was there with her one day and I just looked for fun and I found that for the most part, Carters clothing (the only clothing my daughter wears as it's the only brand I've found that fits her body properly) is only a dollar or two cheaper than buying it new at Bonnie Togs. For some, that's an awesome deal, but personally I'd rather spend the one or two dollars extra for new. If it were four, five dollars difference then absolutely, but not for one dollar, maybe two.

I'd rather buy her clothing off of a buy/sell site I'm on. I usually get onesies for one dollar a piece and pants/outfits for two or three dollars a piece.

This is only for baby clothing though, I've never looked at their adult section.
    Last edited by ashl3y; Thu, Mar 29th, 2012 at 02:26 PM.

abc
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

even th eprices for books are crazy i saw a twilight book there once first couple of pages were bent and the cover was a bit bent, the price was about 6.99! for an extra dollar i could go to coles and get a brand-new one
    You are not on swagbucks?! I earned $35+ in 2 months on swagbucks click the link to get started: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/heyhey4321

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I think it totally does depend on the store.....and peoples perspectives. It's interesting that so many people think that the prices are way too high.....which I've found true for some things there.....but for the most part they seem reasonable....at least at my local store. I can't buy/find a brand new pair or lightly used pair of jeans in a regular retail store for $10 or less......especially since I need a 34 inch inseam. The most I've paid at VV was $14.99 for a brand new, tags attached pair of jeans.....Brody I believe. But I'm happy when I can pick up shirts for $3-5....or jeans for less than $10. I picked up two black dresses last year as well. One a slim fitting black strapless, the other a black lace one with cap sleeves that I LOVE.....each was $9.99 and in perfect condition.

I did have an issue at VV a couple weeks ago though that left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I had signed both myself and my mom up for the Super Savers Club. Anyway, if you print off the confirmation page and bring it to the store within 14 days you can get 25% off your purchase. I went to the till and handed her my paper where I was told that the coupon can't actually be used for my current purchase but only for a future purchase. It says directly on the paper that the coupon CAN be used for the current purchase. Anyway, there were a billion people in line and I have social anxiety issues so I didn't argue.....I just paid and went to the next till to wait for my mom. While I'm standing with my mom her cashier asks if she's wants to use the 25% discount on her current purchase. I frown and mention that 2 seconds prior I was told I couldn't do that. She goes to talk to a higher up, some sort of management I'm assuming and discusses this ALONG WITH the cashier who processed MY order. My moms cashier comes back and says "Yes, you definitely can use the 25% discount on this purchase" and rings it through. Then she hands me a 25% off coupon that expires in 14 days A) I already made my purchase, and B) I live 45 minutes, one way, from our closest VV. I won't be back in the next 2 weeks. I was completely shocked that not my cashier or my mothers even offered to redo my transaction and include the 25% discount. I found it absolutely ridiculous. They all knew that I should have been allowed to use the discount.....but didn't even bother to try to correct their mistake. I emailed the customer support, but doubt I'll get a worth while response in return.

Trading Score
    26 (96%)

I will not shop at VV anymore. I agree the pricing has gotten ridiculous!! For things they get donated!! The have no out of pocket expense for inventory, just the basics, rent, employees, utilities!! But seriously they waste alot of money on employees as I have seen alot just standing around gossiping amoungst each other, standing around holding up racks while one girl puts clothes away and 2 watch her. not only that but my final straw was when I went in there looking through the knick knacks and found alot of Dollarama stuff, with the price tags still on the bottom and VV price tag was double the Dollarama one!!
    Where is the logic in that! I am sorry but to me VV has turned into nothing but a rip-off store. The prices have gone through the roof, it is almost as though they have forgotten that there stuff is USED and donated!

Mia
    Female
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    even th eprices for books are crazy i saw a twilight book there once first couple of pages were bent and the cover was a bit bent, the price was about 6.99! for an extra dollar i could go to coles and get a brand-new one
    I often buy books from VV. I bought Twilight for 3.99 and New Moon for the same price and both of them were brand new, maybe have never even read.

I also bought Da Vinci Code for 5.99, and that was also brand new. And the same for the Chronicles of Narnia.

Maybe it depends on the store.
    Relax, enjoy your coffee (tea) and earn money! Any time, when you want! http://www.clixsense.com/?5881505
    And earn Amazon and other gift cards as well, fast and easy! Anyone can!
    https://www.swagbucks.com/refer/zerehas

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    81 (100%)

I still love VV when it comes to buying clothes for my son (teen), I seem to always be able to find 'named' items for him for under 6-7.00. Last trip I think the scores were roots and tommy H. pants for under 6.99. I'm too lazy to search through the sea of ladies clothing for my daughter and I. Though my hands always feel a little funky after shopping there, I find my location to be clean and tidy enough.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Speckled28 View Post
    I think it totally does depend on the store.....and peoples perspectives. It's interesting that so many people think that the prices are way too high.....which I've found true for some things there.....but for the most part they seem reasonable....at least at my local store. I can't buy/find a brand new pair or lightly used pair of jeans in a regular retail store for $10 or less......especially since I need a 34 inch inseam. The most I've paid at VV was $14.99 for a brand new, tags attached pair of jeans.....Brody I believe. But I'm happy when I can pick up shirts for $3-5....or jeans for less than $10. I picked up two black dresses last year as well. One a slim fitting black strapless, the other a black lace one with cap sleeves that I LOVE.....each was $9.99 and in perfect condition.

I did have an issue at VV a couple weeks ago though that left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I had signed both myself and my mom up for the Super Savers Club. Anyway, if you print off the confirmation page and bring it to the store within 14 days you can get 25% off your purchase. I went to the till and handed her my paper where I was told that the coupon can't actually be used for my current purchase but only for a future purchase. It says directly on the paper that the coupon CAN be used for the current purchase. Anyway, there were a billion people in line and I have social anxiety issues so I didn't argue.....I just paid and went to the next till to wait for my mom. While I'm standing with my mom her cashier asks if she's wants to use the 25% discount on her current purchase. I frown and mention that 2 seconds prior I was told I couldn't do that. She goes to talk to a higher up, some sort of management I'm assuming and discusses this ALONG WITH the cashier who processed MY order. My moms cashier comes back and says "Yes, you definitely can use the 25% discount on this purchase" and rings it through. Then she hands me a 25% off coupon that expires in 14 days A) I already made my purchase, and B) I live 45 minutes, one way, from our closest VV. I won't be back in the next 2 weeks. I was completely shocked that not my cashier or my mothers even offered to redo my transaction and include the 25% discount. I found it absolutely ridiculous. They all knew that I should have been allowed to use the discount.....but didn't even bother to try to correct their mistake. I emailed the customer support, but doubt I'll get a worth while response in return.
    UPDATE: Just wanted to provide an update ( I already did where I posted in the Rant forum). I heard back from the manager of the store who was super nice, apologized and offered to send me a gift certificate for 2x the amount I would have saved if I had received my 25% off....plus a full stamp card for their spring promotion which is good for 30% off my next purchase. I probably won't get to use the card because it expires May 13th and I live 45 minutes away....but the gift certificates have no expiry. Also....I already received my items in the mail today (only took 3 days to arrive!) and was super happy to see that the manager up'd my gift certificate from the $12 it should have been to $20. So while my experience in the store wasn't super awesome I'm completely happy with the way the manager handled it and will definitely be back to spend my $20!
    krysta lynne and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

We got to VV often in hopes to find some good stuff. It's not often now at our VV you can find anything well priced.. I saw a wooden desk there this weekend.. in an OKAY shape.. some dents and marks.. 199.99$ ARE YOU KIDDING? wasn't impressed.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Not a fan of VV either. When they first opened up here, I loved them; however, in recent years their stuff have increased in price and decreased in quality. Can't tell you how many things I've seen that are torn or filthy and that I wouldn't let my dog sleep on, let alone my kids or DH wear. The "no tag" policy is also annoying. I appreciate that it's done to prevent people from screwing with the tags in the attempt to get a price they like better...but why isn't staff able to re-tag an item on the spot using their own common sense?

I'll go to their 50% off sale if I happen to be free on the day and that's about it. In fact, I don't even bother donating my old stuff to VV anymore either. It goes to the Goodwill or other charity organizations that collect things (ie. Boys and Girls club does a winter coat drive in our community) or to families in my community that I suspect are in need.

The truth is-- I can find what I want in brand new condition at a cheaper price than what VV has to offer. Here in London, we have a Sears Outlet store and you can make a killing on the clothes. Last week, I bought a brand new pair of denim capris that were even the right length (I'm petite so I always have to get all my stuff hemmed) for 4 bucks!

4 bucks!!!!

Compete with that VV!
    Last edited by ninna; Tue, Apr 24th, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information