User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Hi everyone

Is there a guide on here somewhere about tricks on how to shop the 20X the Optimum point events?

There seemed to be conflicting posts about whether the minimums have to be before or after coupons, and some people getting bonus points coupons and the need for special scanning orders, etc. Someone suggested buying a product for an MIR to meet the minimum which is a great tip but the whole process is very confusing for a newbie and a guide by an expert on this would be great. Is there a link for this?

Thanks
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    120 (100%)

Um I don't think there is.
    It's not really that confusing.

1) your subtotal before taxes(and before coupons) must be $50(or $75), not including FPCs and bottle deposits. Other items that do not get points are:lottey tickets, stamps, transit tickets, gift cards, prescriptions, tobacco and codeine products.
    2) Yes, you get points for SDM giftcards but do not qualify for 20x etc.
    3) Have your card scanned first, especially if you are using bp coupons.
    4) Yes, you can use bp coupons during a 20x event, the cashier may have to manually put in a code if it doesn't scan.
    5) You can purchase items for MIRs during this promo BUT since you will need to send in your receipt, you could only do one per transaction.
    6) You can use coupons to lower your OOP.
    7) The cashier should be entering your $ off coupons with code "2001". This means you pay tax and get points. If they are entered as "2002" you get no points and pay no tax. This is used for FPCs. Coupons such as B1G1 free will also be entered as 2002.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by jenj77; Sun, Jan 1st, 2012 at 12:42 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

that's very helpful, thanks!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jenj77 View Post
    Um I don't think there is.
    It's not really that confusing.

1) your subtotal before taxes(and before coupons) must be $50(or $75), not including FPCs and bottle deposits. Other items that do not get points are:lottey tickets, stamps, transit tickets, gift cards, prescriptions, tobacco and codeine products.
    2) Yes, you get points for SDM giftcards but do not qualify for 20x etc.
    3) Have your card scanned first, especially if you are using bp coupons.
    4) Yes, you can use bp coupons during a 20x event, the cashier may have to manually put in a code if it doesn't scan.
    5) You can purchase items for MIRs during this promo BUT since you will need to send in your receipt, you could only do one per transaction.
    6) You can use coupons to lower your OOP.
    7) The cashier should be entering your $ off coupons with code "2001". This means you pay tax and get points. If they are entered as "2002" you get no points and pay no tax. This is used for FPCs. Coupons such as B1G1 free will also be entered as 2002.

Hope this helps

Jen, why didn't I know you were a fellow bargain shopper before you moved half way across the country? Oh the deals we could have found together!!!
    Happy New Year to you, Chuck and the boys!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    120 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kshearer View Post
    Jen, why didn't I know you were a fellow bargain shopper before you moved half way across the country? Oh the deals we could have found together!!!
    Happy New Year to you, Chuck and the boys!

Because........I didn't start couponing until the end of June lmao
    I think you should move out here, I need a shopping buddy
    Happy New Year to you and your family too!
    I'm going to add you to my fb group....

Trading Score
    34 (100%)

There actually is..... I am in BC and can stack but do love me a great SDM 20x event ha ha anyhow thanks to Insane I can not seem to find the link but here is what I saved to my computer......and use to help others I meet in SDM here in the Sunny Ok Valley!

A BIG THANKS to INSANE for all the hard work put into this post.

Its hard when you see others taking advantage of the stacking we have available to us in British Columbia. For this reason and this alone I choose to use one coupon to get my stock refilled.

What is Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum?
    It's a loyalty program by Shopper Drug Mart. Currently you earn 10pts for ever dollar, rounded DOWN to the nearest dollar. There are many ways to optimize and earn more but the base point amount is 10pts/$.

What is Plus status?
    Basically, it's a perk for people who earn 15,000 base points in a calendar year. This is excluding bonus points earned from promotions.

What's the big deal with plus status?
    With plus status you get invited to special offers. You used to get bonus points back when you redeemed, but effective July 1 2010, you no longer get that. You get special promotions and coupons emailed to you mostly, so make sure your email is up to date with them!

I just earned plus status. When does it take effect?
    Plus status takes effect immediately when you earn it. You will have plus status for the remainder of the calendar year and the next calendar year. You must re-earn it each year though. For example...if you obtain plus status in 2010 you will have plus status for 2010 and 2011. But in 2011 you will need to accumulate the needed base points to have it for 2012.

How can I optimize my points?
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/113369-...mizing-canada/

What are bonus point coupons? Where do I find them?
    They are coupons that SDM issues where you get a certain number of points for buying a product. And yes you get them when you are redeeming! You get them in emails, on the website, through mail outs, in Glow magazine or here....
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/127519-...-often-canada/

What is a 20x point event?
    Several time throughout the year Shoppers offers optimum member 20x the points on their purchase when you spend a certain amount (currently $50). Therefore, instead of earning 500 points on a $50 purchase, you'd earn 10,000. It's an amazing deal and definately worth your while. These are good events to purchase big ticket items as well, or fragrances/cosmetics that rarely go on sale. Be sure to check your emails, as sometimes these events are through coupons emailed to customers.

Can I use coupons during a 20x points event?
    YES! Currently (and as with anything it's subject to change) you earn points on $ off coupons (not coupons for free products). Therefore, you can maximize your points during a 20x points event by spending $50 BEFORE coupons. For example, you spend $50 but have $20 worth of coupons (excluding free product coupons). Your out of pocket would be $30 (and the tax of course) but you'd still earn your 20x points.

Will I get 20x if I buy a Gift Card?
    No. Like everything in life, there are exclusions. You don't get bonus points on GC unless it's a SPECIFIC GC event.

What is a bonus redemption day?
    Several times a year Shoppers optimum runs a promotion where you get more money off for your redemption. If you redeem 50,000pts you get $100 off (instead of $85) and if you redeem 95,000pts you get $200 off (instead of $170). Some times these events are for the entire store (with exceptions) and sometimes they are for cosmetics and fragrances only. Once so far, they've been mega redemptions which got you even more. No idea if they'll do it again though. These are also great times to use any mail in rebates that you have. As with everything in life, it is subject to change.

Can you redeem for gift cards?
    No. Shoppers or otherwise.

What is refer a friend?
    A couple of times a year they run a promotion where if you refer a friend (they must sign up under your name using the e-vite you send them through the program) you get bonus points. You and your friend must shop during the specified days and spend a certain amount. The last event you earned 8,000pts per friend. This is by far the most effective way of earning points, especially if you get a few friends together. Restrictions, ect.... are posted with the event.

What is a Spend $X get Y points event? What about coupons in these events?
    These events when you spend the minimum amount you get a set # of bonus points. If you go over the minimum threshold, you still only get the same # of points. You can most definately use coupons during these events. Regular cents off coupons will reduce your out of pocket (OOP) but still get you the points. So if it is spend $75 and get 18,500pts, you can use $20 (or whatever amount) and only pay $55 but get the bonus points. Bonus point coupons on particular products can also be used during these events.

What is code 2001 and 2002?
    These are the "codes" that the cashier enters to tell the computer what kind of coupon is being used. 2001 is supposed to be used for regular $ off coupons. You earn points on these coupons, but pay taxes on the amount too. 2002 is for free product coupons (try me free type coupons). You do not earn points on these coupons but you also do not pay taxes. There are other codes such as 2003 but they are rarely used.

My points were not added when Shoppers said they would. Who do I call?
    1-800-SHOPPERS (really it's SHOPPER cause you only need 7 letters but SHOPPERS is easier to remember and the extra digit doesn't matter when you are dialing!)

Do I earn points on gift cards?
    You earn points on Shopper's gift cards but not on the other gift cards they sell. Occasionnally they have promos for bonus points when you buy some of the other types.

Do you pay taxes on redemptions?
    Taxes are payable on the total before redemption. So if you are redeeming for $170, you have to pay taxes on the full $170.

Do I earn regular points on redemptions?
    Nope. You earn points on the portion you pay (aside from the taxes). So if you have $90 worth of stuff and are redeeming for $85 you will earn points on the $5 you are out of pocket. Certain bonus promotions will work with redemptions (ie buy X product get Y points) but not all the promotions work that way.

Can I use coupons with a redemption?
    You bet! Go ahead and maximize your redemption with coupons!!

I want to redeem for $170 but only have $125 worth of stuff in my cart. Can I get the rest on a GC?
    No. You forfeit any difference. So if you want to redeem for $170 anything under $170 is forfeited. Alternatively, you can redeem for a lower level (ie $85 off instead of $175) even if you have enough points for the higher level. So if you only want to spend $85 but have enough for the $175 redemption, you can simply redeem for the $85 level, but you have to inform the cashier.

Do my points expire every year?
    No, points are carried over. However, points expire after 12 mths of inactivity.

How many redemptions can I make?
    According to section 25 of the terms and conditions you can make 2 redemptions at any level per day but only 1 redemption per transaction.

Is the Gift Card promo WUS before coupons or after?
    If you ask SDM they will tell you that ALL offers and promos are before coupons. However, promos that are bonus points (ie 20x the points or bonus points for spending a certain amount) are automatic. The cashier does not control them. In this case, you will receive the points. However, promos that require the cashier to do something (ie give you an item or give you a GC) are usually after coupons. Usually, because the majority of cashiers will refuse to give you the GC if your total falls below the threshold after entering your coupons. It's open to change at any time though. In summary....automatic promotion before coupons, cashier dependant promo after coupons.
    POLICY:Courtesy of Grocery Alerts
    http://www..ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Canadian_Coupon_Policies_Version_1.pdf

Know your body, know your mind. Know your substance, know your source.
    <!-- / sig -->

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    120 (100%)

that is from the shoppers drug mart Q&A sticky....
    I was just trying to give some more detailed info

Trading Score
    34 (100%)

OOOO sorry I may have read the question wrong then my appologies!
    Know your body, know your mind. Know your substance, know your source.
    <!-- / sig -->

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

thanks everyone for the detailed info! I don't really collect SDM points so good to learn!

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/127130-...-faq-q-canada/

It's a sticky. But I think in the coming days I will write a blurb on 20x and coupons for the sticky too cause the same questions seem to pop up every 20x days.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    59 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Hi everyone

Is there a guide on here somewhere about tricks on how to shop the 20X the Optimum point events?

There seemed to be conflicting posts about whether the minimums have to be before or after coupons, and some people getting bonus points coupons and the need for special scanning orders, etc. Someone suggested buying a product for an MIR to meet the minimum which is a great tip but the whole process is very confusing for a newbie and a guide by an expert on this would be great. Is there a link for this?

Thanks

Good Day,
    Here is my coles notes version of shoppers 20x points events:

If the event is 20x automatic (no coupon required) than you need to spend the targeted amount before coupons ($50 or $75). Once you are sure you have reached that before tax total) than you can use all the coupons you want (except FPC/s as they are entered in differently and don't go toward your total amount). As a rule I try not to use FPC's at shoppers as there is really no benefit (no points) I use them at Metro to get the value in air miles.

The idea of th MIRs is that you but a product for an MIR on the 20x the points so you can mail in to get your money back and you still get the points on the item when you buy it. It is points for free essetially. That is the sme concept of the GC purcase to pay for your order. You buy the GC 1st to get the points and use the CG to pay for your order and you still get points on your order

Now if the points event requires you to present a coupon to get he 20x than you order has to be at or over the targeted amount ($50 or $75) after all coupons and tax. This is bacause acceptance of the coupons is at the discretion of the cashier and some will not let you. This is also true for GC promos.

There are many points including this but often hard to find. Sometimes if you go back a few pages in the threads you will find similar questions asked and some fantastic answers for some great SDM experts. Hope this helps either way and feel free to PM me if you have any spefic questions.
    WISHLIST**** Bread, crackers, Lactancia/Natrel Milk (2x2l or 4L reg) Frozen dinners (all types) Pampers Diapers and Wipes, Lactancia butter, Shake and bake......more in my "About Me" section.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

My son and I are by no means experts at SDM or anything but have learned quite a bit over the last while, mostly thanks to this site.

Here is what my son (Chris) advises as he is the main shopper when it comes to SDM!

1. First thing you should do when getting ready for a 20X event (or any shopping at SDM for that matter!) is make out your list at WORZ.CA. This handy calculator will automatically figure out the points that you should receive and will also automatically figure out the points if it is 20X event. That way you can figure out ahead of time what you are getting, what coupons you have etc. and what the final outcome will be. It also allows you to put in the Bonus Point Offers for items if there are any. Best of all, you can print off the list when you are done and take it with you. The printed version has check boxes that you can use as you shop!

2. When you get to the store, buy a SDM gift card for the amount you figure you will spend after taxes, coupons etc. Chris suggests doing that before you start shopping so you don't forget, get mixed up or confused when you are at the cashier at the end. Been there, done that, massive confusion ensues! LOL

3. Even if you have the shopping list from WORZ, take a calculator with you and keep track of everything you put in your cart. Don't always rely on the prices on the shelf either. They could be wrong, either in your favour, or higher! Which brings up the next point....

4. When you are checking out, TRY and watch everything getting scanned in and compare it to what the price should be. It is much easier to catch and fix mistakes as they happen rather then later.

5. Be prepared to have your total come up short at the end! Regardless of if you have a shopping list and calculator, there is always the chance that something will not ring up at the right price. So if you are shopping and need to spend, for example, $50 to get the points... Try and have about $55.00 worth of stuff in your cart.

6. When everything is rung in and BEFORE you hand over any coupons you may have, ASK the cashier what the subtotal before taxes is. It is this amount that determines whether or not you get the 20X or whatever or not. Chris made the mistake of watching the total add up but was reading the price AFTER taxes and he thought he was good to go for a $75 redemption. Turns out he was $5 short but thankfully the cashier told him and he grabbed chocolate bars galore to drive the total to over $75!! This refers to point #5 above. Chris had done that but 2 of the items he had were actually on sale and not marked, thus the lower total!

6. If you are told that your total must be over $50 (or $75 or whatever the promo is) after coupons... Be polite and inform the cashier that it is before coupons and taxes. If that does not work, ask for a supervisor or manager. If that does not work either, keep your receipt and go home and call 1-800-SHOPPERS and explain the situation to them. They are usually very good and will add the points to your card if you should have gotten them and didn't. Sometimes they will even give you additional points for the inconvenience.

Bottom line is... no one is perfect, you may get told that you don't qualify because of blah blah blah... be nice and polite and just call the phone number above if you know you are right. Even if you are unsure, call them and they will let you know whether you are right or wrong. If you turn out to be wrong, admit the mistake, thank the person on the phone and move on with life. Chris has had to swallow his pride a few times because of certain exceptions and rules that he did not understand until he phoned and found out!

Okay Chris thinks this covers everything! This is the way that he does it, and finds that, for the most part, it works out good for him. Of course, we don't usually have many coupons to use in the first place, so it makes the math going in much easier!!

Above all, take advantage of the 20X days if you can but, in our opinion, don't go and buy stuff just for the sake of "I have to get to the $50 or $75, it does not matter that I don't need this or will never use it!"... Been there and done that as well and I gave Chris **** for doing it!!!!

Hope this helps you and maybe some other people out there!
    Is it baseball season yet?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Thanks Lmuggs and theweave. The main reason why I've avoided SDM sales like this is because I can never make up $50 in one go but this week's flyer means I probably can so I'll see if I can get the 8,000 if you spend $50. Thanks so much for your help!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

At my SDM it's $50 before coupons get you 20X. Lots of times my total is only $40 and I get 20X. The cashier always says I won't get the points and I just say "Oh, well, I don't need anything else, so scan the optimum card for the base points." And I always get the 20X points. Cashier doesn't say anything about it. Not sure he/she notices

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Thanks Lmuggs and theweave. The main reason why I've avoided SDM sales like this is because I can never make up $50 in one go but this week's flyer means I probably can so I'll see if I can get the 8,000 if you spend $50. Thanks so much for your help!
    Want to spend $50 easy in SDM??? Buy 2 packages of Fusion Razor Blades... BOOM! Your total will be over $50.00 right then and there! Those suckers are so expensive!!!!!!! *LOL*

But I hear ya, that is what we used to think too.. "How on earth can you possibly spend $50 at SDM????". Then we discovered it does not take long for the bill to add up! Shoppers can be expensive on stuff that is not on sale!

The trick is to buy the stuff on sale and use coupons to bring the total below 50.00, so you still get the points. Unfortunately, we never seem to have the coupons for the stuff we want to get so we end up paying whatever SDM charges for it! Of course I read how others have over $100 in coupons or whatever.. it really just depends on what you are looking for I guess.

If you have a young child or baby, you can make out like a bandit on those days simply by buying diapers and such. That will run your total up in an hurry and there are always diaper coupons etc. out there that will bring the total back down.

If you are like Chris and I, we have so much shaving cream, razor blades, deodorant, Cascade and other stuff stockpiled... we don't need much right now!!!

So it really depends on what you need or want and if you have the corresponding coupons to go along with them!
    Is it baseball season yet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information