User Tag List

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've got a question about online sale items.

I wanted to purchase a pair of boots that are currently still advertised as "on sale" online. However they are out of stock in every single size.

I'm wondering if there is some overall consumer policy that mandates that stores have to honour the sale price IF they're still advertising the item for sale online. Or if I'm just SOL.

To me it's false advertising. Why have a product on display to reel me in and then say sorry we don't have it. Remove the product from the website.

I emailed the company to ask if they do honour the sale prices if the items come back but haven't heard back yet.

many thanks in advance!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Do they have a phone number? You could call them and ask.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks! I was about to but they emailed me back.

I was told quote "if new stock becomes available during the sale period" then I can purchase them at the sale price. But that "the sale price would not be held over beyond the promotional period".

Translation, they'll become available after the sale ends.

I read that and man did that leave a bad taste in my mouth. It's not my responsibility as the consumer to have adequate product amounts in stock during a given sale period. And certainly if I was sold out, I sure as hell wouldn't be advertising it, misleading the consumer about its availability.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

i don't think they are legally bound to honour the discounted price after the sale. this is like going into a grocery store and finding an empty shelf where the item on sale should be. you can try to see if there is any stock instores and if they'll match the price they offer online
    Enjoy chatting on forums or blogs? Get paid $0.05+ per post at Postloop!

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mimi- View Post
    i don't think they are legally bound to honour the discounted price after the sale. this is like going into a grocery store and finding an empty shelf where the item on sale should be. you can try to see if there is any stock instores and if they'll match the price they offer online
    But then you would ask for a rain check, which is essentially what the OP wants. I know most retail stores don't really do rain checks but it can be an aggravating experience.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

OFten sites do this to, like you said, lure you in. For all you know they have 1000 in stock but just don't wanna sell anymore for the discounted price. BEWARE

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Rain checks might work, or ask for a substitution. Maybe ask if they will offer a comparable discount on another pair. Did the ad say "limited quantities"?

Thread Information