User Tag List

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree290Likes

Thread: How much do you spend on groceries?

Trading Score
    102 (97%)

I was wondering, how much do you spend (on average) on groceries per week?
    I am just wondering what ours looks like as compared to others.

We spend aprox $90 a week but that includes free range chicken and organic produce.

How about you guys/gals?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    FT: TONS of $1 Unilever Icecream,including BREYERS! EXP: AUG 31ST!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm single and live alone
    I spend about $20.00 + per week on groceries sometimes less
    I get most of my food for free at work.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

It was an average of $68 last year for two, but when it was just me, I spent about $10 - 15 per week living downtown. That was mainly for fruits and locally grown vegetables.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My husband and I spend about $60 week for produce, milk, coffee, bread, maybe 2-4 servings of poultry and adding to the stockpile. We have a pretty big stockpile of sauce, pasta, cereal, veggies I've chopped and frozen, beans, frozen fish, some condiments, toilet paper, paper towels, toiletries.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

how do guys manage with this much of money on groceries? i spent way more than all of u but considering that i spent almost neart to zero on take out i do everything at home ! but still my bill is way higher and it is not organic or high end stores!
    what do u eat for main meals and snacks if i may ask?
    am not a big eater very normal!
    Mia001 and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

About $50 for groceries and $15 towards stockpile

Kashkoush, We buy a couple of roasts that make dinners, and then are used for lunch meat or meat in our meals for the week

So, a large roast chicken for $7-8, we would have for dinner, then left overs in pasta and sandwiches for lunch. Roast beef would make sandwiches plus beef and veggies and a stir fry etc
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

We usually spend about $130 a week. DH eats A LOT! Plus the kids eat a lot of fresh fruit/veggies and milk. And I also include DS's formula & baby cereal in that amount which are quite costly.
    Valerey and Anna Michele like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I looked over my food plan for last week. This is what I bought last week:

Hummus, milk, cofffee, pita (6 large for 99 cents), veggies/fruits,yogurt,cream cheese,eggs,meat, bread, oj (FPC), nutrigrain bars (99 cents), frozen peas, 6 bagels, chili powder, cereal (FPC)

Food eaten from stockpile: Frozen mozzerella, frozen red peppers, marinara pasta sauce, fish, rice, peanut butter, pasta & sauce, beans, popcorn kernals, pop, perrier water, crispy minis, raisins, flour, apple sauce, ranch dressing.

It looks like we're depending a lot on the stockpile. Also, DH and I usually eat out once a week with friends or do take out once. The most economical meal we make is a bean-based dish where we mix beans, brown rice, peas or corn, spinach, red peppers and chili powder with marinara sauce or pasta sauce. It's sort of like a boiled stir fry.
    Last edited by NuCoupon; Sun, Jan 8th, 2012 at 09:51 PM.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kashkoush View Post
    how do guys manage with this much of money on groceries? i spent way more than all of u but considering that i spent almost neart to zero on take out i do everything at home ! but still my bill is way higher and it is not organic or high end stores!
    We eat out rarely as well. We have a lot of rice, pasta, cereal, breads, etc. and I eat almost non-stop. Prices on fruits and vegetables are regional and seasonal so we try to buy on sale and in season when we can. Where I used to live, bananas were $0.19/lb, and you could usually find some other seasonal vegetables for that price. Fruits were sold as units, not by weight, so I'd buy 10 oranges for $2, and things like that.

We can't do that anymore. It would take 30 minutes to drive somewhere where we could take our weekly bill down to $30/week or less again. Our meals always involve a starch (noodles or rice), meat (chicken, pork, beef, seafood), and a vegetable. I crave a snack about every hour or so, and *love* sweets. My snacks are usually fruits, but anything sugary like breads, yogurt, cereals make it in there too.

Just now, I had two tangerines and a huge apple as my before bed snack. The $0.55/lb apple was organic (but we did have to drive to the orchard and pick it ourselves) and the tangerines were $0.59/lb. I also just scraped the freshly baked brownie pan clean and ate a bowl of cereal as my second midnight snack.

I have to try to watch the prices since I eat about three times as much as DH, but we do spend a lot more in other areas.
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Sun, Jan 8th, 2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Ate more. :(
    super_e, Sunraven and kashkoush like this.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Food prices really differ across the country. I remember visiting AB once and I was shocked at how expensive fruits were. Grains and wheat based products were less expensive though.

If I lived there, I'd expect my food prices to triple even if I kept the same shopping list.

Trading Score
    102 (97%)

Quote Originally Posted by kashkoush View Post
    Breakfasts: We eat egg sandwiches, cereal (only buy on sale,) Quaker Oats (a $3 bag lasts weeks) and pancakes (a box of mix costs $2 and lasts us two weeks.)

Lunch: Peanut butter sandwiches, Turkey sandwiches (pricier, but we don't eat mechanically separated meat like bologne) Occasionally DH takes Stouffers Crustinis to work if they are on sale. Mr.Noodles mixed with a huge serving of frozen veg to make it healthy. Soup and garlic toast. (Buy a container of garlic butter, lasts about a month for $1.30!)

Dinner: We only eat fish and chicken for meat, so we have those about 3x per week. Big boxes of fish sticks go a long way. We have rice as a side dish, again about 3x per week. We bought a huge bag of rice six months ago for $10 that is not even half gone. Rice is also an excellent base for stir fry, which is also fairly cheap to make. Canned beans and vegetarian chili are big in my house. (A meal consisting of a can of beans, home made garlic toast and a salad cost less than $1.50 in total.) Pasta, esp.spaghetti is a very cheap meal and healthy when made with whole wheat noodles. A bag of potatoes for $2 can make all sorts of side dishes. Mashed potatoes, fries, hash browns, baked potatoes.. I should also mention we don't eat dairy so that lessens the bill as well

Snacks: Fruits, veggies and dip, nuts, granola bars, home made cake and cookies etc.

A tip of reducing your grocery bill is to make a meal plan and buy according to what youve planned for meals. Stick to the list and don't shop hungry lol

Good luck
    FT: TONS of $1 Unilever Icecream,including BREYERS! EXP: AUG 31ST!

Trading Score
    21 (88%)

DH and I spend about 50.00 a week on groceries, our grocery budget and stockpile budget are all rolled into one. I make a meal plan, for each week that I cook ahead and freeze where permitted. As soon as we get home from our shopping trip, I prepare everything (prepping meats, chopping veggies, making meals) this way there is always something in the fridge to eat and we are less tempted to go out for dinner.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    211 (100%)

I spend about $250-$300 a month usually, so about $70ish on average.

$15 a week at the Farmer's Market
    $50 a month at shoppers (20x day) where I get dairy and eggs and whatever pantry items we will use.
    $40 a week at Buy Low/Save-On for meats and whatever else.

I meal plan and bake our bread (most of the time, not always) to save money. Our meals are pretty basic for the most part.
    2010ontest and Anna Michele like this.
    Amazon and Starbucks GiftCards for Searching the net? Yes I did and so can you!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/canadianbugga

Trading Score
    50 (98%)

My shopping goes out the window if my DH is with me. He is like a kid in a candy store, always adding things to the cart. I remember when he added a box of $10 dates to the cart just because he wanted to try them. $10! and he hasn't even finished them yet.
    super_e likes this.

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

I am a single mom with 2 tweens with me 1/2 time.
    We eat a LOT of fresh fruit, which in my area of Ontario ranges around .99-$1.29 a pound for apples, pears & oranges. Bananas are up to .79/lb. Not sure why ?? I buy pints/quarts of fresh berries when they go on sale for around $1.66 (3/$5) & freeze them on a cookie pan, bag them & then use them as I need them. They only take 2 minutes to thaw for cereal or yogurt topping to get my fiber intake up.
    Fortunately I live on a US border, so I can buy chicken there for much less than I can even find it on sale in ON. We rarely eat red meat, but I try to watch for sale when we do plan for steak or burger. Pretty much all meat is bought on sale.
    For veggies, I also buy on sale frozen & canned depending on the cost.
    We don't eat out a lot but when we do, it usually is a nicer place. It's a treat

So to answer the question I spend about $300/mth. I do shop state-side for some things....I know it's not the most desireable way to go but I can't beat some of the prices even with coupons, so I do what I have to do to save my bucks.
    Anna Michele likes this.
    Click here under "about me" to view my wish list.
    Visit Swagbucks.com to earn freebies! Click my referral link to get started!

Tangerine bank GIVES YOU $25 cold hard cash for opening an account!
    Use my Orange Key 14220607S1 & it's $25 for me too! NO FEE BANKING!!

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information