User Tag List

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I'm planning on getting a Kindle as soon as I can get enough gift cards to cover the majority of the price. I do have a few questions for any owners out there.

I have my mind set on the cheapest model, that being the fourth generation (the newest one) with the D-pad. My first question is do you use the on-screen keyboard often on the Kindle? My only purpose for the Kindle is for reading, I don't plan on using the web browser or the store often on the device.

EDIT: I originally asked about the ad-supported, cheaper model but it turns out that one isn't offered to Canadians.

Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: Amazon.ca & Amazon.com
    Last edited by awalkman; Sun, Jan 8th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Hi there!

I got this one for Christmas. It is the Kindle, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display.

I don't think it's the same one you're talking about, but it is an ad-supported version and it's $109.99 from Amazon.com (which is where the link on Amazon.ca takes you to buy it). Before Christmas, the same version was available to American customers for $75 I think it was, but was more expensive for Canadians. My brother sent it to me, so he got the $75 price.

It doesn't have a touch screen, not a web browser either that I'm aware of, but it does have Wifi so you can shop at Amazon and buy a book, have it delivered instantly. I've learned that you should mostly leave the wifi off, it burns up your battery (which apparently lasts a couple of months without charging with normal use).

I haven't had it long obviously, but I don't see any need for a keyboard, or for a web browser for that matter. I have a smartphone and a laptop that I can use to go online, I wanted only a book reader.

So far we love it! I've read a couple of books on it, then my skeptical DH wanted to try it and he loves it too!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Zonny; Mon, Jan 9th, 2012 at 05:51 AM.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Thanks for the info! The $75 version is the ad-supported one, the $109 doesn't have ads. I'm going to assume the ads are more for American products which is probably why only the $109 version is offered to us.

If you go into the menu and go to "Experimental", there should be the browser there. I've seen it on some of the video reviews.

Thanks again! Looks like this is what I'll be working towards.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Yes, I have seen that 'experimental' thing but have never, well, experimented with it! The ads seem to be for Amazon books and things, haven't really paid much attention. The $75 version doesn't seem to be on their website anymore.

I'd recommend getting a case for it too, my brother sent mine in an inexpensive vinyl case which is fine for me. A light would be cool too, but not bothering with that for now. It can only be charged by plugging it into the USB port on your computer, but you can buy an adapter to plug into a wall, haven't done that yet either. I haven't figured out all the charging details yet, but it seemed to stop charging when my computer went into hibernate or sleep. So that's not handy.

Thread Information