User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Which Anti-Virus do you run?

bcteagirl
    There was one other up there using Mcaffee!

I was using McAfee but got sick of paying for updates... so I had my brother put on 'a good free one' over Christmas when I was home with the laptop.. AVG I guess!
    Redneck Charger likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by prairiebelle View Post
    Panda
    what is panda??

cndlady
    avg and zone alarm (this one is provided by my service provider)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Panda, is one of the better pay-for A/Vs on the market, IMO. Small footprint, not much in the ways of false positives... if I wasn't using Paranoid Avast, and had the money, I'd either get Panda or NOD32
    Why should I stay? Why should I go? I'm no longer on here. I might ghost in once in a while. But don't bother talking to me, I'm not to stay. Sorry.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Avast because that is what you recommended. So far it works well! Had Norton for 3 years. Drove me crazy! Is still on a laptop I have because it is IMPOSSIBLE to get off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you can help me with that I would appreciate it. It keeps saying that I have to log in as administrator and I figured out how to do that but it still will not let me remove it. Maybe I need to take it to my computer guy???

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I use AVG.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039

They make it hard to find, but use that if it's one of those years. If not, google: Norton Removal Tool (whichever edition you where using).

I'm not shocked to see a lot of people using Norton/Symantec and McAfee. Many assume (and sadly, incorrectly) that they must be the top of the line, since you see them everywhere. The problem with them being like that, is that they have a lot to live up to, and they are the most targeted. At the same time... if you need an illegal copy of them, it's easy to come by.

Panda, Avast, and AVG are very good, as is Avira, even though I don't like two of those four. Avira is second, only to the top of the line, NOD32. Avast and AVG have a few false positives, but AVG is slightly better because of it's heuristics. Panda is a WONDERFUL pay-for A/V, catches a lot.

And I'm glad to hear no one is running Ikaraus. That program is like Norton/Symantec in a way. How so? Large footprint, large updates, cost isn't that cheap and declaring itself as the foremost security program (IMO, that's Sophos). But it annoys me more then Symantec, because it has several false positives (last I checked, it sensed three of my programs that I know are Virus-Free, thanks to my hacker pal, as malware, as well as wanting to delete all my MP3's :|)

Yeah... I'm done for now.. I think.
    Last edited by Young_Freebie; Thu, Apr 3rd, 2008 at 02:41 PM.
    Why should I stay? Why should I go? I'm no longer on here. I might ghost in once in a while. But don't bother talking to me, I'm not to stay. Sorry.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I got a free version of Panda from a friend that is very handy with computers. I had no idea it was one of the better ones out there.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i also had alot of virus getting in when i used nortons i had pennicilin for free for 6 months when i bought my new mother board (it came with it) i loved it! had avg and zone alarm worked great for a long time until some hacker got in and messed with the eastlink network and they traced it back to me. went to housecalls.com (no www. in front) and downloaded a free trail of pennicillan and it fixed my problem but it was only a trial. so now i got the f-secure offered through eastlink which i belive is done by macafee and it takes sooooo long to get my email now. did try the panda at one time wasn't really happy with

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gues77 View Post
    i guess im the only one using McAfee
    McAffee here as well...it was on the puter when I bought it, and got a deal on the renewal so it seemed simpler just to keep at it.
    When I let go of any expectations of how a situation will turn out, I get to keep my serenity, and the situation turns out as it should.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have PC-cillin on this laptop. Norton on my older one, but I hardly hook that one up to the internet anymore. It hasn't detected anything in a long time, so I don't know if it's working or if I should even continue renewing subscriptions.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

[QUOTE=Young_Freebie;249155]http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039

Thanks for this info. Now, what is a firewall and do I need that too?? I thought if my wireless internet was secured, that meant that it was.... ummm.... secure??? Don't laugh!!!! I don't understand all this stuff.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A firewall controls what can access the internet, and what can not. Some free ones that I love, are Comodo Firewall 2.4 (No, I refuse to run 3.0 guys... it doesn't block anything) and Online Armor. But for you... I think Online Armour would be better, since it asks far less questions. Most likely though, you are running Windows Firewall without knowing it. As well... having your wireless secure is one thing, so hackers can't get into your internet and f*** with it, but a firewall is recommended for hackers to get in your PC. But if you are using a router, most times, it's just as good, if not better. Because once they are inside that, they need to do more hacking to get onto your PC. At that point, if you turn it on and off... they loose ALL their progress. However, the firewall adds a second or even third layer of protection. So it's your choice on this, Frugidh.

Momg, just to let you know, F-Secure is it's own company, not owned by McAfee. Great antivirus, I've got no complaints over it, in fact, my hacker friend that runs no A/V normally, tested it, and loves it. And it takes a lot for an Anti-Virus to woo him.

PC-Cillin! I haven't heard of anyone using that in YEARS! Tell me, have they improved their interface or their time to scan? Those were my two biggest complaints over it.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Wow! Another ancient thread resurrected.
    walkonby and Darth Penguin like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Avast. But i want to buy one because i tend to get alot of malware watching streaming sites.
    Redneck Charger and dededi like this.

~just your average nerd~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information