User Tag List

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm helping my friend find a laptop for her son that he will use for school. He has been on a waiting list for a laptop for over 2 years. His mom has given up and when I had offered my almost free netbook I got thru the mega redemption... she was so happy but the kid needs a LAPTOP. Sigh. So I need help!!!

The requirements are min. 4gig ram, 250 HD but might need more, a dvd burner/cd drive and HDMI port so he can link to a tv for better viewing. Some of the programs that will installed on the laptop will use up a lot of ram and memory.

So far, what I've found, is the cheapest is at FS for $300 before tax. I can probably price match at BB and get it cheaper with an additonal 10%. Here is the info.
    http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...36a3ead304en02

Is it a good laptop?

Or there is this one from Staples for $390 but comes with Microsoft Office.
    Without, it just $330.
    http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...p?webid=375405

And is there any coupons to make this even cheaper. I received in the mail the $50 off $400+ spent on a laptop. But she can't afford to go any higher.

So hopefully I can get some helpful input from my fellow SCers. Thanks in advance!
    This thread is currently associated with: Future Shop, Staples, Microsoft

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would avoid the first laptop with an AMD CPU. Except for the latest A-series, AMD based laptops are known to be battery hogs.

What is the budget before taxes? Decent entry level laptops start at around $400.

Dave

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

At this point, they might be better off to buy one during the Boxing Week sales. I need a new one too and will be out shopping after Christmas!

Banned
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Wait for boxing week sales, I agree! Should be some good sales. There were quite a few laptop sales on Black Friday/Cyber Monday!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

If I were you, I would get the one with the Microsoft Office. It is a must have for any student to do homework, PowerPoint presentations... etc. Like others said, wait for boxing day/week, many good deals. Plus, I have noticed laptops are getting cheaper and cheaper by the day.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I can't be of any help with the laptop, my parents just bought my niece one for the same reason, needs one for school but the waiting list is so long it would have taken forever. I share their frustration and thank you for helping a friend. Good luck in your search!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

MavisTrujillo, you have a very intriguing way with words. I agree, the processor is something to consider also. Decent laptops begin at about $400.

Thread Information