Thread: Quit smoking torture

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Some words of inspiration! lol

Member of rep ho-ing club kelly25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

2 weeks done Wow its going by faster and faster! This weekend was great, we went to the Quebec city and enjoyed some family activities. I found myself noticing how much I have missed or how much I would exclude myself before for the sake of a cigarette.I watched the parade with the kids and didn’t pull away for a smoke, I watched the entire clown show and didn’t end up in the little excluded smoker’s area. I gave up more moments then I had realized for this habit and noticing all this only gives more inspiration

Name:  th_quit_smoking_cigarettes.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  4.2 KB
    Last edited by kelly25; Mon, Feb 6th, 2012 at 12:03 AM.

Trading Score
    211 (100%)

woohoo Kelly! your seing the light!

DH wants me to do the same AGAIN!

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

when i came to Canada, i saw a lot of ladies who smoke cigarettes on the streets and in front of the buildings, now even with the young girls

Trading Score
    19 (95%)

I've now joined the band wagon I'm on my second day now. It's not so so bad but I do get these baddddddd urges.....

I am quitting with my son so we are encouraging each other...I've been smoking for 25 years.. Now that I see my 17 year old smoke I decided to quit for good along with him... This is my 3rd time quitting and it will be my LAST....
    Earn free points, get a chance to win a great contest.. Follow this link it's worth you time I swear

Or this link as well for Quebec residents..Free GC and more..

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Yesss ^^ Good for you I think its great that your son is quitting too. Not only are you thinking of you own health your also being a good influence for your child. Remember the first few days are the worst, it does get better I promise.

I’m at 3 weeks and 2 days and doing great! I went to a party with at least 15 smokers in the house, walked out of there feeling stronger then ever. Can’t wait to hit the 1 month mark.

Trading Score
    19 (95%)

Quote Originally Posted by kelly25 View Post

Yesss ^^ Good for you I think its great that your son is quitting too. Not only are you thinking of you own health your also being a good influence for your child. Remember the first few days are the worst, it does get better I promise.

I’m at 3 weeks and 2 days and doing great! I went to a party with at least 15 smokers in the house, walked out of there feeling stronger then ever. Can’t wait to hit the 1 month mark.
    Thanks for the encouragements Kelly.

We will make it together...
    Earn free points, get a chance to win a great contest.. Follow this link it's worth you time I swear

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Reading this helps too

The Quit Smoking Timeline – A Roadmap To A Healthier Life

IF YOU QUIT SMOKING RIGHT NOW:
    • In 20 minutes:Your blood pressure and heart rate will return to normal. This immediately lowers your risk of having a heart attack. Your circulation will also improve, bringing fresh blood to your fingers and toes, so they may start to tingle.

• In eight hours:
      The nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in your blood reduce by half. Carbon monoxide is the same fume pumped out by a car exhaust! In high doses it can be fatal, but at low levels – such as those found in cigarettes – it causes shortness of breath and increased heart rate. Your oxygen levels will also have returned to normal, helping replenish dried-out skin and hair caused by smoking. FIrst significant improvement on the quit smoking timeline.

• In 24 hours:
      Carbon monoxide will be completely eliminated from your body and your lungs will start to clear out excess mucus and any other smoking ‘debris’. You may notice you have a cough or sore throat as new lung tissue starts to grow.

• In 48 hours:
      There is no nicotine left in your system and your sense of taste and smell will also greatly improve. One side-effect you may experience within the first 48 hours is light-headedness as the carbon monoxide leaves your system. But your pockets should feel heavier as you begin to save the money you would have spent on
      cigarettes! A quit smoking timeline milestone.

• In three days:
      Your breathing will become easier as the bronchial tubes in your lungs begin to relax. Your concentration may be starting to waver as the withdrawal symptoms from the nicotine kick in, but your energy levels will start to increase, giving you a boost.

• In two to 12 weeks:
      You may find that you are getting more irritable, restless and depressed around this time as part of the withdrawal process. A quit smoking timeline hurdle. Up to 60 per cent of quitters said they suffered from these side-effects within four weeks of giving up smoking. Your craving to have another cigarette will be particularly strong at this point, but don’t give in. By now your circulation has already greatly improved, boosting the nutrients being delivered to your skin which helps to beat wrinkles.

• Within three to nine months:
      Your lung function will improve by up to 10 per cent as new cells lining the lungs develop. This will help any coughs, wheezes and breathing problems you had whilst smoking.
    The Quit Smoking Timeline And Your Appetite

Around this time you may also notice that your appetite increases – 70 per cent of quitters say theirs did. This is one of the major reasons people are reluctant to quit – they are worried about putting on weight. But ASH, the anti-smoking campaigners, say the average weight gain is only approx (only) 7 pounds. This weight accumulates without quitters taking any steps to beat the extra pounds, such as watching what they eat or taking up any exercise. Gaining a little weight ‘presents a minor health risk when compared to the risk of continued smoking’ says ASH. In the long-term, studies have shown your weight will return to the level it would have been if you had never started smoking.
    • In one year:
      Your risk of having a heart attack falls to roughly half that of someone who is still smoking. The stroke risk caused by lack of oxygen and narrowed blood vessels in the brain will drop to that of a non-smoker five years after you quit.

• In 10 years:
      Your risk of developing lung cancer falls to half that of a smoker. The pre-cancerous cells in your body caused by smoking are also replaced by new, healthy cells.

• In 15 years:
      Your risk of having a heart attack returns to the same level as someone who has never smoked. Your skin should also have completely recovered from the damage associated with smoking. Congratulations you have reached the end of the quit smoking timeline.
    This may all seem like such a long road to full recovery. However the secret of the quit smoking timeline is measured in each smoke free day.

Trading Score
    19 (95%)

day 5... OMG it's sooooo hard this morning.. this is my day off and I have to get busy or I think I might give in...

PLus to add to the quit smoking torture my Nicoderm patches are causing me insomnia..

Went to bed at 8pm woke up at 11..then at 2.. now have been up since 4 am.....

REALLY !!!!!!
    Last edited by quebecqueen; Fri, Feb 17th, 2012 at 05:06 AM.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I went through the same thing!! Really you should go back on this thread and read it from the top. I didn’t think smoking was that bad until I quit, felt like I was quitting cocaine or some hard drug.. It slows down after the first week, the urges are shorter and further apart, you just have to get through it and you can/will get through it . How’s your son doing?

I heard somewhere that the times of quitting come in 3. 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months. I find it really hard to control my mood when pmsing and I started eating more.. can’t really tell the difference between lil urge to smoke and being hungry
    Last edited by kelly25; Fri, Feb 17th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.

Trading Score
    19 (95%)

Quote Originally Posted by kelly25 View Post
    I went through the same thing!! Really you should go back on this thread and read it from the top. I didn’t think smoking was that bad until I quit, felt like I was quitting cocaine or some hard drug.. It slows down after the first week, the urges are shorter and further apart, you just have to get through it and you can/will get through it . How’s your son doing?

I heard somewhere that the times of quitting come in 3. 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months. I find it really hard to control my mood when pmsing and I started eating more.. can’t really tell the difference between lil urge to smoke and being hungry
    My son is doing great.. Yesterday, after being up for nearly 5 hours, he realised he did not even have his patch on...

But me on the other hand yesterday was pure TORTURE.. It was my day off and I was totally in HELL. I was cranky, testy and very moody..

I almost smoked one this morning... Looked at the cigarette, took the lighter, stood in my kitchen for 2 minutes staring... Then put it back in my BF jacket and put my patch on...

OMG this is sooooooo hard....

EDIT: And to add to the torture I am so sweaty since I started to use the patch.. My hands are clammy all the time and I have hot flashes.. Jeez.. I feel like I am pre-menopausal as well...This is day 6..
    Last edited by quebecqueen; Sat, Feb 18th, 2012 at 08:32 AM.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Some empowering words.

Name:  determination-2.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  8.2 KB
    Last edited by kelly25; Sat, Feb 18th, 2012 at 08:37 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Feb 5 marked 2 years I stopped smoking. I smoked from 12 years old to 36 years old. It is a hard habit to break, and I still get the urge. It is like an old lover that comes calling for a bootie call. I broke up with him and kicked him to the curb. I don't go back for sloppy seconds.
    You have to be mentally ready for the addiction to come knocking. If you are resolved to quit, nothing will stop you! Go for it.

Expert in My Town :) thriftymom75's Avatar
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I've come across so many people that say no they can't quit. But everyone CAN do it! Way to go you can definately do it. I smoked from the age of 15 because my friend said "I can buy smokes". Which I thought "Cool!". I smoked for 10 years then quit cold turkey when I got pregnant then sometime later started again. But then quit cold turkey again. Must be 9 years now that I quit. I don't think about it at all. No cravings. And my DH is a smoker. Oh and I did smoke a couple cigarettes in 2011 and felt like I was going to throw up lol. I don't drink often and something tells you inside to have a smoke with that drink lol. Don't do it... Grossss lol

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by quebecqueen View Post
    I've now joined the band wagon I'm on my second day now. It's not so so bad but I do get these baddddddd urges.....

I am quitting with my son so we are encouraging each other...I've been smoking for 25 years.. Now that I see my 17 year old smoke I decided to quit for good along with him... This is my 3rd time quitting and it will be my LAST....
    Good luck, quebecqueen - to you and your son. You can do it!

Silk
    Have a great life!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information