User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Trading Score
    44 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    I'm with Jays...been there, not going back. There are plenty of beautiful places in the world to see. I read somewhere that tourists are being picked off by the drug cartels in retaliation for the government's crackdown on their activities (such as they are)...ruin tourism and hurt the tourist $ coming into the gov't coffers...pressuring the gov't to lay off them.

Whatever the reason...I won't go back.
    holy smokes! that's the same theory DH had and he came up with it on his own.
    You know you want free stuff too! Join Swagbucks with me http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cdiddy1

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Nope, you couldn't pay me to go there, either. My aunt and uncle used to live there, but left for San Diego because of the escalating crime problems.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've visited Mexico before, I wouldn't go back.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by caroman View Post
    holy smokes! that's the same theory DH had and he came up with it on his own.

Well I can tell you that it never occurred to me! You've got a very clever hubby...!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    I would go to Mexico but more off the beaten track, so to say..
    I was just watching a story on CBC about a Canadian woman's remains found on an isolated beach in Mexico. She was originally from there but married a Canadian. They divorced, but it must have been an amicable split because the ex-husband went back to Mexico to look for her (after the Mexican police failed to do anything about her disappearance). Hearing this, I would certainly stay close to a resort instead of venturing off on my own.

We go to Hawaii...sure it's more expensive, but the weather is perfect, I don't have to worry about the food and water, I can speak the language and most importantly, I can safely walk the streets at night. If there is a crime, you can bet the police would be doing their best to solve it rather than try to sweep it under the carpet.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

DH and I did Mexico a few times B.K. (before kids) You couldn't pay me to go there now.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    569 (100%)

I LOVED Mexico!! And dream of going back someday. We were on the east coast not the west one where most of the recent gang fighting is happening.
    Want free Christmas shopping???
    get giftcards to Amazon!!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Oh heck no.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/hockeymomma
    Click here to join me at Superpoints and get free Amazon GCs!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Absolutely not...no way....never...ever...ever!!! My daughter's friend just returned from there. Had been going every year for the past 8 years with no problems but this time happened to be in a shop when two armed people came in. Tied up the customers...had guns held to their heads...robbed of not only their money but their i.d. Now the friend is back...totally freaked out and has to now deal with possible identity theft.

Not worth taking the risk. I travel quite a bit and their are a lot of places out their that are just as beautiful and safe!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by icangarden View Post
    Absolutely not...no way....never...ever...ever!!! My daughter's friend just returned from there. Had been going every year for the past 8 years with no problems but this time happened to be in a shop when two armed people came in. Tied up the customers...had guns held to their heads...robbed of not only their money but their i.d. Now the friend is back...totally freaked out and has to now deal with possible identity theft.

Not worth taking the risk. I travel quite a bit and their are a lot of places out their that are just as beautiful and safe!!
    Oh my gosh! That's so scary

Glad your daughter's friend is okay (sort-of)... man, that would hit close to home.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I have been there many many times. Both through all inclusive vacations to the tourist spots and driving/walking down to some of the areas that are the worst right now during our winter stays in Texas. At this point, I would not feel safe going back to mexico, and over the last few years ,our all inclusive vacations have been to Cuba, which I just adore. So very safe, even at walking down the street at 3 in the morning. The people are genuine and happy and it's also a very beautiful place. No thanks to Mexico anymore.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

well....we were in Huatulco when the UBC student and her boyfriend went missing..and were later found murdered on one of my favourite secluded beaches. To be honest, I was stunned, we had spent an entire day at that beach, alone, just the week before. This is a lovely area and we NEVER had any issues with anything..and we walked everywhere!!
    Considering how many people visit Mexico and how many bad things happen, I tend not to worry about it. That being said I am not doing anything that is stupid. We won't go back to the remote beaches alone again, that was just too close to home. After dark we stay is safe areas....
    There are certain cities I wouldn't go to in Mexico...but to rule out the whole country doesn't make sense to me.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just came back from Mexico. Never had a problem.

Jamaica has just as much violence as do many other Carribean Islands. How about Florida?

Common sense plays a big part in personal safety. Would you go out of your hotel room in the middle of the night without telling your spouse/roomie?

And funnily enough a friend who used to be a cop said the same thing about the recent beating in Mexico. Was it domestic? The police always check out the partner first in a beating.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

i would rather go to hawaii or cuba..

~just your average nerd~

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

I've been to mexico in the past and loved it!! However now that I have kids I wouldn't take the chance! However the thought of being in an airplane going anywhere with my kids (5, 4 and 1.5) scares the crap out of me!!! We're making an effort to explore Canada more, there's so much we have yet to see!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information