User Tag List

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Grocery brag (week 11)... the work in progress in 2012

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

This is for chickypoodles

First time you do homemade yogurt you need a starter. As starter you could use one tub of plain yogurt (regular or with probiotic like Activia yogurt) or ferment starter in powder. In Qc powder starter (lyophilised bacteria) is easy to found at usual grocery store (Provigo, Métro, IGA, SuperC, Maxi, ect) on the yogurt section or in the organic fridge section. The usual brand is "yogourmet". This brand have regular yogurt starter, probiotic starter and also kéfir starter.

Side note, you need the starter, but you don't need special machine to made yogurt, your regular oven is perfect. You just need to change the 40W light bulb for a 60W and close the chimney hole (you know the back element of the stove with the hole... remove the element and cover the hole with a small plate). Usually the heat produced by the 60w light bulb is enought to reach and maintain your oven at 37 degre C (98F) the optimal temperature to do yogurt.

If you want fat free yogurt, use fat free milk. If you want more fat, use 3.25% milk and add some 10 or 35% cream. You have the choice!

Step one:
    If you do regular yogurt, open the 60w light bulb of the oven and close the chimney hole. If you do probiotic yogurt you will do it later.
    Put the milk in a pan
    Heat gently the milk at medium/low to 82 degre C (180F), mix occasionally.
    Keep the milk at this temperature for 30 minutes.

Step two:
    For drinkable yogurt go to step three
    For firm yogurt add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk powder (basically this add protein to your yogurt and help to have more firm yogurt) per liter of milk and mix gently

Step three:
    Cool down the milk by immersion of the pan in cold water (do this in your sink) until milk temperature reach 37 degre C (98F) for regular yogurt or 22 degre C (72F) for probiotic yogurt.

Step four:
    Add the starter
    If you use a yogurt tub (or your previous yogurt) add approx 10% of starter (this mean if you have 4L of milk you need to add approx 400ml of yogurt starter) and mix gently.

If you use powder starter, go with product indication (or less, one half of specified work perfectly but the incubation time will be a little bit more long) add powder on the milk and mix gently.

Step five:
    Put the inoculated milk in 500ml Mason jar with wide mouth (or the container you want). With 4L of milk you need between 8-10 Mason jars 500ml (8-9 jars the first time you made yogurt, 10 jars if you add powder milk to have firm yogurt or at you second time batch of yogurt).
    Put the lid loosely on Mason jar, (don't close tight, you don't want to kill your bacteria and/or don't want a mess in your oven)

Step six:
    For regular yogurt, put the mason jar with inoculated milk in your oven pre-heat at 37 degre C (98F)
    For probiotic yogurt, put the mason jar with inoculated milk in your oven not pre-heat, so at 20-22 degre C (72F). Open the light in your oven and close the chimney hole (you know the element with the hole... remove the element and cover the hole with a small plate). Temperature will increase slowly (some bacteria strain of probiotic yogurt need lower temperature (around 22 degre C) at the beginning and other strain work better at 37-42 degre C. This is why we start at lower temperature and increase it slowly.

Let incubate the milk until you get your yogurt. This take around 4-6h for regular yogurt and close to 12h for probiotic yogurt. Myself I let my yogurt in the oven overnight.

Step seven:
    Put the yogurt in the fridge.

If you want flavor or sugar in your homemade yogurt, add it at the moment to serve. You could use jam (home made jam always better!), lemon curd, honey, maple syrup, pomagrenate syrup, ect. Add some granola, oats, seeds (sunflower, soy, flax, sesame, ect), fresh fruits, ect...

PS: this recipe is more long to wrote and read than to do!!!
    Last edited by 2010ontest; Sun, Feb 19th, 2012 at 09:13 AM.
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    Such an inspiring post. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by abouret View Post
    As usually I like your thread very much! It's inspiring
    Thanks abouret and see you next week end!

Quote Originally Posted by littlegoogi View Post
    love your post it makes me remember why this year I want to do my own canning and pickling and freezing in bushels. Oh and the mention of fiddleheads not many people know about them or tried them they are my fav. great post thank you
    Yup canning is my normal usual thing in season. I do this since more time than couponning. Couponning just help to lower the cost of some of my canning recipe. Since I'm on SC, I get sugar, salt, vinegar and so many other thing for cheaper than before.

Quote Originally Posted by bluzsuz View Post
    thanks so much for sharing your life with us, it is so inspriring!
    Thanks! I hope this could inspire some other

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

I'm with the others...I definitely always look forward to your posts. I have so much to learn .

What do you do with lemongrass, Ontest? I've only ever used it in a stir-fry.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

Last edited by 2010ontest; Fri, Oct 26th, 2012 at 08:19 AM.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

I just had supper and now you're making me hungry again . That looks amazing! Something new for me to try on my next day off. I accidentally bought my younger son some coconut milk instead of coconut water a few weeks back...now I know what to do with it . Thank you!

One more question , you mentioned whey milk...what do you do with that? And with almond milk and soy milk?
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by snuffaluffagus View Post
    I just had supper and now you're making me hungry again . That looks amazing! Something new for me to try on my next day off. I accidentally bought my younger son some coconut milk instead of coconut water a few weeks back...now I know what to do with it . Thank you!

One more question , you mentioned whey milk...what do you do with that? And with almond milk and soy milk?
    I use my whey milk (from when I made cheese) to do pizza dough, bread, cake, pancake... sometime I use it as broth in soup meal.

Basically, I just substitute the liquid (water or milk) of my regular recipe. Pizza dough and bread with whey milk have just totally amazing taste

I use soy milk like regular milk. I prefered soy milk with my cereal than regular milk. And my kids just really enjoy drinking soy milk.
    Last edited by 2010ontest; Sat, Feb 18th, 2012 at 10:16 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Love tip savvy - shred and freeze - I agree when u freeze as a block it does crumble and it is hard to slice

Junior Canuck couponlovingcanuck's Avatar
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

great brag!

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Great post. I always love reading how you are doing.I am intrigued with making yogurt. Might give it a try.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/PinkSapphire. Click to get FREE Giftcards just for searching the web. It is so easy.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

lemon curd is easy to make and it can be frozen for later use..

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

coconut milk- check out chatelaine dec issue for really fast easy dinner- its a curry fish/ squash dish (make as hot as you like) add some cooked rice for a quick meal

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

check out http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/cheese.html for how to make yougurt in a cooler (if you cant do it in the oven)

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kasha100 View Post
    lemon curd is easy to make and it can be frozen for later use..
    I never said I buy lemon curd or that lemon curd is hard to make

I do it and can it myself instead of putting it in freezer... My freezer is for my meat and my flour. But to do lemon curd I wait to have cheap egg shell, cheap butter and good organics lemon to lower my cost.

When I do lemon curd, I do around 8 to 12 X 250ml jars for futur use and I have white egg to do 3 or 4 angel cake

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by couponlovingcanuck View Post
    great brag!
    Quote Originally Posted by coley3 View Post
    Great post. I always love reading how you are doing.I am intrigued with making yogurt. Might give it a try.
    Thank you both!

Trading Score
    94 (100%)

thank you! i'm going to try making it!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information