User Tag List

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Zellers: Countdown to Closing - POST YOUR DEAL FINDS HERE!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Went the other day and made out what I thought was quite good. Spent about 90 dollars and saved almost 200 with the extra 70% off of the clearance stuff. Of course I could have saved a bit more because I didn't print out the coupon from online for the extra 5.00 off of 20 or more. Now my Zellers isn't in liquidation yet so thats probably why I did fairly well. I did find it funny the customer checking out was asking about her HBC points. The clerk was trying to tell her that there were still going to be some Zellers open after the change over lol ( guess she doesn't watch the news about the ones not becoming Target to just close up. I think she was more concerned about the 6-9 months the store was going to be closed for renos)

Trading Score
    34 (100%)

For the book worms out there I have gotten quite a few good deals on books with their closing sales. I got three good books for under $5. Obviously Zellers doesn't have as good of a selection as a bookstore but mine still has some pretty decent titles.
    momof3heathens likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am interested in getting an HDTV in the near future (probably several weeks to a few months from now). Does anyone know at what the discount level was when most of the good TVs were sold? In other words, at what stage in the closing sale is the best time to buy the TV? I know different stores close at different times, so please give me the answer in terms of Week # (e.g. Week 2, Week 5, etc.). Thank you.

Here is what I believe is the schedule of discounts:

Week 1 and 2: 10-30 (or 40 depending on store)% off
    Week 3 and 4: 20-40 (or 50 depending on store)% off
    Week 5 and 6: 30-50 (or 60 depending on store)% off
    Week 7 and 8: 40-60 (or 70 depending on store)% off
    Week 9 and 10: 50-70 (or 80 depending on store)% off
    Week 11: 60-80% off
    First 5 days of Week 12: 70-90% off
    3rd and 2nd last day: 80-90% off
    Last day: 90% off

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    4 (83%)

ZERO good sales in the Kelowna, BC store. Was in two days ago because they had 3 guys on various roads around the zellers will 40-70% off signs..
    Still crossing my fingers for some new bed sheets and maybe some staple stockpile items (laundry detergent, soap, shampoo, etc.)

Trading Score
    38 (100%)

My zellers is also deal-less. Huge signs everywhere 40-60% off everything *limited exceptions apply*. And my "limited" they mean everything in the store except for clothes, holiday decorations and summer stuff. Everything else is regular price or 10%-20% off the crazy high prices they set everything at before the liquidation. I've check twice since liquidation started and I won't bother coming back until last closing days.
    Earn Paypal $ or Amazon gift cards every week doing searches and surveys with Swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/xXtiggerXx
    Earn quick money with short/easy surveys from Legerweb: https://legerweb.com/FOF6P

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

You really have to wait till the end (Last 2 weeks or so) to get a good deal - and even then a lot has already been picked over. Our store closes today (Victoria - Tillicum) Went in last week and got a good deal on a few toys, and some boys socks and underwear and fabric softener. Went in this morning and bought a few more packs of underwear and socks (for 90% off). Bought some coffee too although it was 70% off - not everything was 90% off ... even being the last day.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Can someone answer (or at least attempt to answer) my question posted above? Occasionally I post comments on this thread but never receive any replies. Thank you.
    Last edited by generalB1B; Tue, Aug 14th, 2012 at 12:26 AM.

Trading Score
    117 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by generalB1B View Post
    Can someone answer (or at least attempt to answer) my question posted above? Occasionally I post comments on this thread but never receive any replies. Thank you.

I wouldn't wait too long for the HDTV sale. At my store which closed in June, the tvs and other major electronics weren't available past the 20% off discount. Seems whatever arrangements that were made re the liquidation meant that a lot of the good items were shipped out to other stores for regular/light sale pricing. Maybe other stores have kept the tvs around longer but a chat with the store clerks may help you.

hope you get one!
    Imy "Other Money". Join the fun:
    *Swagbucks!!- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Savvy5

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

TVS and larger electronic/appliances go around the 30-40% off mark, usually by one of the staff members. I've been to 3 sales already and all three stores the staff bought most of the Tv's. Now here's the impotant part you should really pay attention too, even with discount the prices were still higher than other places. There were 19 inch Tvs on sale at the one at Jane street a while ago for 30% off and were $200+ dollars people were buying them up like crazy even though FS had the same TV'S on sale for $179.00. You really have to know what the prices are before buying. Do your homework, check prices and stock at other places then buy if it's cheaper. I've written this numerous times in these clearance threads. People buying items like video games for instance at 30% off Zellers price but are $20.00 cheaper on sale elsewhere. I saw one guy buying the gun games like Cabella's Hunter series for 30% off $19.99. Walmart/Source/FUTURESHOP/BESTBUY blew most of them out for $10.00 or less and he bought 30+ sets at $14.00 each. I bet he's still sitting on most of them now. Same goes with the movies. People bought most of the Blurays at 10% off(that's not even the taxes) and most of them are $9.99 or less at other places and people paid $14.99 and above for many titles. Blank dvds(75)were $33.99 reg and when it hit 30% off people bought them like crazy. FS/BESTBUY/WALMART had the same ones on sale for $20.00 or less. People panic buy because it's a sale but if you don't do your homework you end up being the loser and the companies end up the winner.
    visit my TWITTER page:http://twitter.com/#!/1dvdswapper

From my family to you. Wishing everyone a Happy/Healthy Holidays and New Year.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for the advice. By the way, can we ask the store Staff to refrain from buying their own merchandise in liquidation situations? I always believed that shoppers were the ones to buy up all the merchandise but this is a completely new thing to me. If we cannot do this, will the employee tell me when they want to buy the merchandise if I ask them or will they play cunning and not disclose that information? Please advise me on this matter. Thank you.
    Last edited by generalB1B; Tue, Aug 14th, 2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Adding more questions.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I went to the liquidation location here Mississauga, and this is what I found;
    - last years sandals at 70% off + plus some gold and silver closed toe shoes.......really!
    -50% all summer stuff, considering they are over priced by 50% and all other stores have their stuff at 70% off, it just didn't make much sense to me......hummm!
    - BOGO 50% off open packages of underwear, + closed packs to if you can find them.......
    -$2.99 VHS tapes, I price check them, just to make it sure they wanted me to pay for them and it wasn't them paying me .....
    - they had many racks full of new arrivals........don't ask me why!...it just doesn't make sense....
    - finally when I went to the checkout to buy the things the kids forced me to buy.....The cashier charged me for a bag......and that was the straw that broke the camels back........
    .....I say........." take it to the curb Zellers"

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

I got a few good deals at Zellers, but it all depends on what you need I guess..

12 x 1L Canning Jars, normally $9-$14. I got a case for $6
    flour sifter, reg $9.99 :$2.40
    silicone loaf pans: $2.40
    misc bake wear $2.99
    measuring cup set 3 pc 1 C-1L reg $25 : $6
    they had large bamboo cutting boards, but they were all cracked so I was disappointed :-( but they were $8-$12.
    my mom got pillows and face cloths she said was a good deal

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

Thanks for the advice. By the way, can we ask the store Staff to refrain from buying their own merchandise in liquidation situations? I always believed that shoppers were the ones to buy up all the merchandise but this is a completely new thing to me. If we cannot do this, will the employee tell me when they want to buy the merchandise if I ask them or will they play cunning and not disclose that information? Please advise me on this matter. Thank you.
    You can ask but as with anything it all depends on the individual being asked as to how he or she reacts to the question. Plus I don't think the average staff knows much more than you or I so if something they want goes on further discount they also are waiting for a chance to score kwim.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Re your above question @General: The staff are likely kept in the dark about the schedule for discount increases. You also have to remember that someone may beat you to it. Someone may be happy with getting a lower discount so they could all be sold out at 30% off. Or zellers may just send them off to another chain or a liquidator and you won't be able to get them at Zellers at all. In my experience, buying from a store closing is a bad idea because if your TV is a lemon you are stuck with it

I don't understand this part of what you're asking. Do you mean staff shouldn't be able to buy stuff in liquidation stores? They're customers too and their money is as good as everyone else's, no?

I am interested in getting an HDTV in the near future (probably several weeks to a few months from now). Does anyone know at what the discount level was when most of the good TVs were sold? In other words, at what stage in the closing sale is the best time to buy the TV? I know different stores close at different times, so please give me the answer in terms of Week # (e.g. Week 2, Week 5, etc.). Thank you.

Here is what I believe is the schedule of discounts:

Week 1 and 2: 10-30 (or 40 depending on store)% off
    Week 3 and 4: 20-40 (or 50 depending on store)% off
    Week 5 and 6: 30-50 (or 60 depending on store)% off
    Week 7 and 8: 40-60 (or 70 depending on store)% off
    Week 9 and 10: 50-70 (or 80 depending on store)% off
    Week 11: 60-80% off
    First 5 days of Week 12: 70-90% off
    3rd and 2nd last day: 80-90% off
    Last day: 90% off
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sun, Aug 19th, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Re your above question @General: The staff are likely kept in the dark about the schedule for discount increases. You also have to remember that someone may beat you to it. Someone may be happy with getting a lower discount so they could all be sold out at 30% off. Or zellers may just send them off to another chain or a liquidator and you won't be able to get them at Zellers at all. In my experience, buying from a store closing is a bad idea because if your TV is a lemon you are stuck with it
    I really have to agree with this. Especially with Zellers. By the time things were a reasonable price at the liquidating stores I went to, their products had been ripped, trampled, disfigured, were out of date. I wouldn't trust buying electronics from there. And the discounts I saw weren't worth it anyways (I had thoughts of buying a TV from there too). Frankly, I've seen better random sales at Walmart for TVs than at Zellers' liquidation. And you should keep an eye out for Superstore no tax days - I don't know the prices of their TVs, but not having to pay taxes on them might make it worth your while.

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread Information